Gransnet forums

Food

In praise of tea...

(116 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 28-Feb-23 09:12:04

Ordinary old black tea, with milk.

I've drunk it after giving birth, when getting a cancer diagnosis, post-op, when hungover, to get rid of headaches (2 cups, in the quiet of morning) and when feeling nauseas to settle my stomach.

The only time I've gone off tea was sadly on chemo, but even then, I just switched over to Earl Grey. The perfumed taste disguised the chemo metallic tang.

I've taken my own supply of Yorkshire Tea to Spain, Switzerland, the US and even, ironically, took my tea to China. A little taste of home when homesick.

Gundy Sat 04-Mar-23 15:58:05

Mollygo
Sorry for the late response… yes! People seem to love sweet tea, a very southern drink here. There also Arnold Palmer tea which is half tea, half lemonade. Or are they the same thing?
I will have to try again. Thx for the reminder - I just forget about them as options always going for plain iced tea in warmer weather.
Cheers!

HiMay Fri 03-Mar-23 16:37:47

Love tea. M and S Gold

Vintagenonna Fri 03-Mar-23 12:13:35

Rington's Northumbrian Gold Blend leaf tea is the basis of our wake up char.

We order online along with their heavenly handbaked ginger biscuits every three months or so. Very efficient ordering system and free delivery over £25 of goods.

Mollygo Fri 03-Mar-23 08:34:56

USA Gundy
What about sweet tea? I’ve been reading a series of books where they seem to drink gallons of the stuff. Have you tried it?

Gundy Thu 02-Mar-23 21:51:35

Here, we are a coffee guzzling country, with a Starbucks or coffee shop on every corner. Tea not so much but specialty teas are becoming more prevalent in grocers, import shops, restaurants/cafes, hotels and even Starbucks now. Market share is up!

What I love about tea when you are dining out is it is presented almost ceremony-like upon ordering… they bring you a beautiful little chest that when you open the lid there are 12-20 different colored tea packets of all flavors and blends to choose from. Must be the same over there.

I have friends who drink only coffee, some only tea, some who drink neither. (What’s with that?) I have two cups of coffee in the morning and an occasional iced tea with lemon when at a luncheon.

Tea time? That’s the cocktail hour here…
Cheers!
USA Gundy

BlueSapphire Thu 02-Mar-23 20:15:36

I love my cup of tea first thing in the morning, never drink it any other time of day.
Has to be extra strong - I use Sainsbury's own brand extra strong teabags - a dash of skimmed milk, and sugar I'm afraid. It is nectar. And it has to be made in a pot - I hate a teabag in a mug, just doesn't taste the same.

And I'm always drinking it when I write on the Good Morning thread!

The rest of the day I drink coffee.

grannyactivist Thu 02-Mar-23 19:08:00

My nana drank only tea, from a blue and white striped pint mug, made with sterilised milk and with the leaves left in. My mother drank only coffee, usually instant and always from a small brown glass mug.

I always start the day with tea, drunk from a china mug, but I do enjoy an occasional latte. Since having the problem with my brain I now opt for decaffeinated tea and coffee and to be honest I haven’t noticed any difference.

GagaJo Thu 02-Mar-23 18:59:09

One of my favourite memories from China was going to the tea market and going to a tasting ceremony. Very 'old' traditional China setting. Getting to taste loads of teas, with the beauty and grace of the tea ceremony. Of course, I bought loads.

grannybuy Thu 02-Mar-23 17:53:16

I have Clipper white tea for breakfast, and peppermint in the afternoon and filter coffee mid morning and teatime. I drink ordinary tea if I’m out or have visitors. All without milk or sugar.

madeleine45 Thu 02-Mar-23 16:59:06

I just remembered a friend who said she liked her tea weak. I replied no you have yours fortnightly, as she used one tea bag for two cups. Hardly worth using it I would have thought , but takes all sorts

madeleine45 Thu 02-Mar-23 16:56:24

If you ever read or heard the No 1 Ladies Dectective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith the wonderful Precious Ramotswe loved her Red Bush tea.!
Actually I loathe tea and am a great coffee drinker. My sister is absolutely a tea person and has a whole range from Oolong to Earl Grey etc etc When I had chemo too , I had that horrible metallic taste and not being able to cheer myself up with a much loved coffee did not help matters. I know there is the japanese tea ceremony, but I had my own little ceremony with my coffee , so that it was just as I liked it and served in a fine worcester china mug. My mornings really begin (whatever time I wake up) with a beautifully made coffee and J S Bach on Bach before 7 on radio 3. Good or bad night or horrible day to face those few minutes in calm and peace with the wonderful smell of the coffee and the sounds of Bach. Never mind Ah Bisto , my joy is Ah fresh coffee!

Bijou Thu 02-Mar-23 16:46:18

My tastes have changed over the years. Was always tea when I was young. In those days there were no bags and it was always in a pot and used a strainer. When going to the continent the tea was so weak my husband had a name for it. So we had chamomile tea or coffee grinding the beans.
Back in U.K. had different herbal teas before trying loose black tea made properly in a pot. Unfortunately now I cannot stand for long I am reduced to tea bags although I do have a strainer one can put in a cup.
I always have a glass of Guiness every day.

Silverlady333 Thu 02-Mar-23 16:45:10

I am definitely a tea addict. Tetley tea for me but I will also drink Yorkshire and English breakfast tea if I must.
I too went off tea when I was pregnant and it was so hard to find an alternative hot drink.
I don't function until I have had two large bone china mugs of tea in the morning and many, many more throughout the day. I will drink a latte if in a coffee cafe type place but it is not thirst quenching like tea!

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 02-Mar-23 16:39:20

I became allergic to coffee, so turned to tea, loved any flavoured black tea providing it had no milk or sugar. Just recently I found I could drink coffee again, so now it's breakfast tea in the morning and early evening and coffee at other times.

karmalady Thu 02-Mar-23 16:25:37

One big china mug of yorkshire gold every morning, just a dip in and out with the t bag. No milk

A large china mug of redbush in the afternoon. No milk

I like oolong and have some lovely, expensive white tea which does several fills, I make it weak at 60 degrees

One fill of home ground coffee a day and a small matcha.

rest of the time it is filtered water

I no longer like tea as it used to be

LinAnn52 Thu 02-Mar-23 16:23:51

A nice cup of Tetley’s at breakfast, another mid-morning, then again around 3.30. It was always coffee mid-morning but for an unknown reason I went off it last year so changed to tea. I do still enjoy a latte or flat white when out though.

queenofsaanich69 Thu 02-Mar-23 16:13:45

Best drink in the world,black tea with milk,just finished a cup😁

semperfidelis Thu 02-Mar-23 15:33:26

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned tea leaves. Easy to make in a transparent tea pot which has a filter to catch the leaves. Assam tea is very flavoursome, but may be too strong for some. It tastes and looks better in a white bone china mug or cup.
Tea in cafes is not worth buying: it's often too weak or too strong, and almost always involves a tea bag. All teas necessitate a biscuit.

GrammaH Thu 02-Mar-23 15:19:01

Tea...yuk. I don't know what all the fuss is about, I can't stand it. I think it was because there was never any alternative when I was growing up & it was overkill.

62Granny Thu 02-Mar-23 15:12:12

I don't drink tea anymore either only coffee, not sure why I have gone off it but the taste just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Many years ago when I was in my teens I done a Sunday paper round and you had to go in early to number up the newspapers, the chap that had the newsagents used to keep his used tea bags in a saucer on the side of the desk it seemed like a week's worth, the metallic smell used to turn my stomach, I only lasted a month or so.😂

netflixfan Thu 02-Mar-23 15:08:49

I live for tea! Any strength, milk in first. We have Yorkshire. In the afternoon I have decaf and its a good substitute. Occasionally a red bush, again milk in first. Great thread, thanks!

Nvella Thu 02-Mar-23 15:03:20

PG tips for me - very strong. Always take it on holiday!

IrishDancing Thu 02-Mar-23 14:54:46

I went off Earl Grey after a homeopathic treatment, anything with elderflower in it, they both just taste like perfume. Now I have a strong black mug of tea first thing and another in the middle of the night (rare) and can’t get back to sleep. One cup of decaf coffee in the morning and the rest of the time herbal tea though I used to like Rooibos so might try that again - thanks to those who have mentioned it.

mrsgreenfingers56 Thu 02-Mar-23 14:25:56

Love tea and prefer to coffee. But not Yorkshire tea, way too strong for me, one tea bag would last me a week! Like Aldi tea and have several cups a day, couldn't start the day without tea.

Anniel Thu 02-Mar-23 14:15:03

I drink a lot of tea. Luckily they bring in Waitrose essentials here so I am well stocked up. Tea is very comforting and it is interesting to see our different preferences. I will never forget that when we first visited St Lucia and went to son’s place he said he had got some Earl Grey for me! Now I only like string, traditional tea so I was disappointed. I am 4 hours behind UK so I have only just had my first cuppa. I just love tea!