Gransnet forums

Food

Jamie's one pound meals

(255 Posts)
Franbern Tue 14-Mar-23 09:00:10

Came across this on channel 4 by accident. Jamie Oliver reacting to current food prices and showing how to make nice, nourishing meals on a budget.

Just wondering when this was made as last night he made a potato, tuna dish, and his recipe showed that can of tuna at 58p, Not priced at that in my Sainsbury's,

Just shows of the stupid increaases that means that between ther time he made these programmes anes are so much more.d them being aired, the prices show on them are so much more.

Good recipes though, down to earth ingredients. Do wonder how much olive oil he seems to use in everything. Love it when he keeps telling us to put a lid on a saucepan 'in order to save fuel', like we did not know that.

Norah Wed 31-May-23 19:07:26

I made a stellar new recipe of Jamie's today.

Garlic & chilli baked beans

Quite good. I cooked the beans v tinned - otherwise followed the recipe. Made sourdough for the recipe, added salad and fruit sauce.

Meal was delicious (well under £1 ). Cheap as chips.

Callistemon21 Wed 31-May-23 18:06:46

MandL

As this thread has been resurrected, I was wondering if anyone has cooked any of the £1 meals? I have downloaded a pdf of the recipes from his website, so does anyone have some recommendations of what to try?
Thank you

Not yet, I must make more effort!!

Callistemon21 Wed 31-May-23 18:06:06

Norah

You're quite welcome.

I'm attempting what is a new to me recipe today, I'll let you know if it's stellar. smile

Yes, I'll see what you think first!
😁

I made a Morrocan stew not long ago, a recipe I found online but wasn't inspired.
That recipe sounds more tasty.

MandL Wed 31-May-23 17:36:21

As this thread has been resurrected, I was wondering if anyone has cooked any of the £1 meals? I have downloaded a pdf of the recipes from his website, so does anyone have some recommendations of what to try?
Thank you

Norah Wed 31-May-23 12:29:55

You're quite welcome.

I'm attempting what is a new to me recipe today, I'll let you know if it's stellar. smile

Callistemon21 Tue 30-May-23 22:51:49

Thanks, Norah, I did look but couldn't find that particular recipe

Norah Tue 30-May-23 22:45:16

Callistemon21

That sounds very tasty, Norah. I might try that.

What was it called?

It was called: 5-a-day spiced veg stew

Callistemon21 Tue 30-May-23 22:38:18

That sounds very tasty, Norah. I might try that.

What was it called?

Norah Tue 30-May-23 21:55:49

He really does have brilliant recipes. Today we made a delicious stew with just a sweet potato, an aubergine, peppers, onions, coriander, sun-dried tomatoes, curry, coconut milk, mangetout, chick peas, soy sauce.

Cheap as chips.

happycatholicwife1 Sat 18-Mar-23 18:16:59

😂 I was intrigued by the title of the post, and wondering why the heck a meal that weighed a pound had any particular advantages? Oh, lol.

pascal30 Sat 18-Mar-23 10:16:45

If Jamie Oliver feels relevant to younger people and they can adapt or use his recipes that is a good thing..I imagine most of G's know how to budget and cook a healthy meal. I'd hope we're also passing on skills as well. Where I live we have centres where cooking skills are taught to a wide range of people on benefits, asylum seekers, young parents etc.. Any shared knowledge is useful..

GrannyLondon Sat 18-Mar-23 00:36:58

Yes JaneJudge and Callistemon, I have read Toast and seen the film. I think the film is on Netflix.
Oh, and I like Jamie Oliver too.

Jaxjacky Fri 17-Mar-23 20:43:01

The Toast film is very poignant.
I like Jamie Oliver, always have done, at least he’s trying to help and you can always improvise his recipes, adding or taking away, especially the £1 ones.

JaneJudge Fri 17-Mar-23 20:29:23

The film was a bbc one I think 🤔

GrannyGravy13 Fri 17-Mar-23 20:14:19

Callistemon21

Oh, it's a film now too, I hadn't realised.

Enjoyed the book, haven’t seen the film

Callistemon21 Fri 17-Mar-23 20:03:26

Oh, it's a film now too, I hadn't realised.

Callistemon21 Fri 17-Mar-23 20:02:05

GrannyLondon

Oh sorry JaneJudge, that was my fault. I meant I love Nigel Slater & his recipes! He was my first cooking guru. His autobiography about his cooking. times with his Mum was rather sad but lovely too.

Have you read the book Toast?

JaneJudge Fri 17-Mar-23 19:19:50

GrannyLondon

Oh sorry JaneJudge, that was my fault. I meant I love Nigel Slater & his recipes! He was my first cooking guru. His autobiography about his cooking. times with his Mum was rather sad but lovely too.

have you watched the short film toast? smile

GrannyLondon Fri 17-Mar-23 18:56:02

Norah Fri 17-Mar-23 16:06:11

MawtheMerrier

Riverwalk

Indeed cheap as chips Norah but the portions are tiny - one tin of chickpeas between 4 people gives about 4g of protein each.

I make a similar curry and it's very tasty but hardly filling.

Surely it depends on the size of the cauliflower?
One large cauli will do Cauliflower cheese for 3 or even 4 in my experience.
@Rainnsnow - JO’s recipes are also available free online.

Indeed, the entire curry is plenty for 4 people. Very filling.

Serve on rice, cheap, really filling.

Many people over eat, no need.

The ingredients all have protein, an extra tin of chick peas is cheap if one finds even more protein necessary.

I like Jamie and his ideas.

TerriBull Fri 17-Mar-23 16:02:19

I vowed I'd never force my children to eat anything, because I was forced to eat the unacceptable when I was at school, rice pudding and mashed potato with massive lumps and milk which I still can't drink neat till this day. I don't consider that I was a fussy eater, but there were a few things, like everyone, that I gagged on. I did allow my children to leave what they personally found unpalatable, fine with my first, he ate practically anything, my second was an incredibly fussy eater, spat out all the homemade food I'd prepared when I started to wean him and that continued through childhood, objected to anything green. He sorted himself out somewhere along the line, eats most stuff now with a penchant for South East Asian cuisine, I wonder now if he'd have spit out Pak Choi for for example or Kimichi if he'd been started off on those, probably because they are an acquired taste that he developed along with a more appreciative palate. As an adult has moved on considerably from peanut butter and fish fingers, which were among the handful of foods he found acceptable.

paddyann54 Fri 17-Mar-23 15:52:49

There were 6 of us for Sunday dinner ,I cooked 4 different meals.If there are 2 of us its often two different meals.I'm almost veggie OH likes meat ,it has never been an issue.

My late mother was a very fussy eater and she never tried to coerce us to eat things we didn't want ,I didn't eat fowl or pork or much beef ,didn't even like the smell of tuna
Now I only buy it for the cats and my OH feeds it to them .

Strangely my kids will eat amost anything and always have though my daughter was always annoyed when eating at friends where the parents had nice food and the kids got fish fingers or sausages and my son complained in a restaurant about the mac n cheese being tinned when he was around 6 years old .
I would never ask anyone to eat something they didn't like I love to cook and its not a problem making something different

Elegran Fri 17-Mar-23 15:36:21

Serving things separately so that people can have as much or as little as they want solves a lot of problems. It also gives children practice at not emptying the whole lot of something they do like onto their own plates leaving none for everyone else!

HeidiJoy2u2 Fri 17-Mar-23 15:34:32

Too much mercury and plastic particles in fish, especially the bigger ones like salmon and tuna. If you care at all about health, watch the movie "Eating Our Way to Extinction." It's free on YouTube. Some of my favorite Chefs are Chef AJ and Cheap Lazy Vegan.... especially her Just Egg copycat recipe - tastes just like eggs but made with Moong Dahl so it's high in protein without the cholesterol. She also has a great Kimchi recipe that involves batch preparation along with lots of batch cooking ideas. If you haven't tried "Mock Tuna" made from Chickpeas, its a great alternative to tuna, without the risks of ASL or Parkinsons, and a lot cheaper. Health is Wealth. I can't get over how all of the recipes on this site are so unhealthy!

Mollygo Fri 17-Mar-23 14:44:58

Eloethan
^ I would just say go without then.^
My mum’s strategy exactly. I went without eating meat (hated the texture) until I was about 5. Not even putting a teaspoon or a smear could make me eat it an the sight of me gagging was off putting to others.
Children faced with JO’s £1 curries when they couldn’t even cope with a smear would evidently be left to go hungry.
Your mention of gravy making you feel nauseous reminds me of DGS. He’ll eat most things except for foods which flow into each other, like baked beans, mushy peas or ratatouille or gravy. So we don’t add gravy. We serve gravy so people can help themselves.