Gransnet forums

Food

Jamie's one pound meals

(254 Posts)
Franbern Tue 14-Mar-23 09:00:10

Came across this on channel 4 by accident. Jamie Oliver reacting to current food prices and showing how to make nice, nourishing meals on a budget.

Just wondering when this was made as last night he made a potato, tuna dish, and his recipe showed that can of tuna at 58p, Not priced at that in my Sainsbury's,

Just shows of the stupid increaases that means that between ther time he made these programmes anes are so much more.d them being aired, the prices show on them are so much more.

Good recipes though, down to earth ingredients. Do wonder how much olive oil he seems to use in everything. Love it when he keeps telling us to put a lid on a saucepan 'in order to save fuel', like we did not know that.

Sago Tue 14-Mar-23 09:05:57

I think a lot of Jamie’s target audience would possibly not know to put a lid on a saucepan to save energy.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 14-Mar-23 09:09:24

I think you’re right Sago.

Urmstongran Tue 14-Mar-23 09:13:52

I always feel uncomfortable when wealthy people (or supermarkets) point out how us poor people can feed ourselves cheaply. Trying to make us happier with our lot?
“Do as I say not as I (need to) do” always comes to mind.

We’d do much better thank you if Jeremy Hunt increased our personal allowance before paying tax.

Now that would really be something us poorer folk could cheer.

Redhead56 Tue 14-Mar-23 09:17:24

I have been watching this programme some of the products he is using are from Tesco and called Stockwell flour beetroot etc cupboard essentials they are cheaper. I was on Jamie’s website these programmes were filmed November. All of the shops are relentless putting the prices up every week. The bottom shelf often has the cheaper alternative that’s what I have noticed.

Riverwalk Tue 14-Mar-23 09:20:17

So many variables with a can of tuna - chunks or steak, brine or oil, already drained, plus the size of the can. I'm sure they used to be a standard size, like beans and soup, or maybe I'm mis-remembering!

He does have some interesting recipes but I can't watch him for long, far too irritating with his gestures and cheeky chappie persona.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 14-Mar-23 09:21:48

There’s rumour he may do just that Urms.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 14-Mar-23 09:26:05

The programme did have a disclaimer pointing out that the prices were correct at time of filming.

I am going to try the pork noodle dish, it looked very tasty and easy.

timetogo2016 Tue 14-Mar-23 09:26:54

I think £1 meals just does not exist,it costs money to cook them.for heavens sake.

Glorianny Tue 14-Mar-23 09:33:26

Cheapest can of tuna n Tesco 55p. So the pricing is right. I think it's good to see meals that ordinary families might make and enjoy. Don't particularly like Jamie Oliver but don't see why him showing people how to make cheap meals is anything to do with the poor accepting their lot. Better fed poor people are more likely to complain and revolt. Underfed children's brains don't develop properly. So food is important. (I don't think rich tories care what, or if, we eat)

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 14-Mar-23 09:35:22

You would probably call me a rich Tory Glorianny. Thanks a bunch.

Yammy Tue 14-Mar-23 09:36:45

Sago

I think a lot of Jamie’s target audience would possibly not know to put a lid on a saucepan to save energy.

They don't use their microwaves to hurry things up as we do either, just for reheating ready-made meals. I thought I had taught my two well but when one saw me boiling the potatoes for roasting in the microwave she was shocked and making white sauce without any lumps. Also switching the cooker off and using the residual heat for pasta etc.
Batch baking is an unknown word to many of them!!!!

Elegran Tue 14-Mar-23 09:45:47

Did he factor in the cost of buying a bottle of olive oil and so on? You only use a little each time, but you have to buy it by the bottle, not the tablespoon. That can be a relatively big expense, and is what keeps people on a tight budget from having a well-stocked store cupboard from which to concoct varied and interesting meals. Tuna gets boring, even if you vary whether it is in brine or oil, and how you serve it.

MawtheMerrier Tue 14-Mar-23 09:48:02

Well I like Jamie!
I like his jolly bish, bash, bosh attitude and his recipes have actually proved dependable and successful (for me) which is no mean feat! I still swear by his Fish Pie and Risitto recipes.

Glorianny Tue 14-Mar-23 09:48:32

Germanshepherdsmum

You would probably call me a rich Tory Glorianny. Thanks a bunch.

If the cap fits.
The Trussell Trust is calling for a 7% increase in benefits to enable people to afford to eat
Foodbank use has increased rapidly
If the Tories care about people eating why is this happening?
www.trusselltrust.org/news-and-blog/latest-stats/end-year-stats/

MawtheMerrier Tue 14-Mar-23 09:48:34

Risotto even

Freya5 Tue 14-Mar-23 09:49:44

So totally agree regards personal allowance. Think Jamie is really trying to help people, yes he may be wealthy, not always so. Can't stand tuna though. Again if you feel he's demeaning people instead of trying to help, don't watch it.

merlotgran Tue 14-Mar-23 09:50:54

Give him a break! When I taught Food Technology the students all loved Jamie. His enthusiasm is completely on their wavelength.

He’s not trying to teach granny to suck eggs because we’re not his target audience.

I made his stuffed chicken thighs at the weekend and they were delicious.

Elegran Tue 14-Mar-23 09:51:12

"Cooking on a bootstrap", by Jack Monroe has a lot of very economical meals, from when she was doing just that. There are another half-dozen books on Amazon on "Cooking on a shoestring" too (as I found when searching for how to spell Monroe right so as not to have anyone respond that they couldn't find her book) Her "Tin Can Cook" has a lot of budget store-cupboard recipes too, plus some not-so-budget ones)

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Mar-23 09:51:49

Riverwalk

So many variables with a can of tuna - chunks or steak, brine or oil, already drained, plus the size of the can. I'm sure they used to be a standard size, like beans and soup, or maybe I'm mis-remembering!

He does have some interesting recipes but I can't watch him for long, far too irritating with his gestures and cheeky chappie persona.

If the can of tuna is in sunflower or (more expensive) olive oil, you could drain the can and use that oil in the recipe.

I agree about the drastic price increases recently which makes the programme seem out-of-date already.

And yes, Urmstongran - a good point!!

growstuff Tue 14-Mar-23 09:54:04

timetogo2016

I think £1 meals just does not exist,it costs money to cook them.for heavens sake.

£1 meals most certainly exist, even including the cooking and today's prices.

I wouldn't like to live on them forever, but they exist.

Callistemon21 Tue 14-Mar-23 09:54:54

And yes, Urmstongran - a good point!!
Re the personal allowance, I meant.
🤞

Grammaretto Tue 14-Mar-23 09:57:58

I agree Urms
My mum was a widow having to feed 3 hungry children on her small pension.
She often had leaflets produced by the well meaning WI telling how to make a shin of beef last a week by adding dumplings.
Now if these ladies would have invited us for a meal occasionally grin but I daresay they thought they'd catch lice

BigBertha1 Tue 14-Mar-23 10:47:24

Maw I like Jamie too! I have followed his career and bought all his books. I was very sad when his restaurants closed but he was far too generous with giveaways and as he said he bought cathedrals when he should bought churches.
Anyhoo I liked the programme. I wouldn't necessarily make those recipes but I think its a genuine attempt to help people which has certainly been a feature of all Jamie's career. The cheeky chappy image (which I also think is genuine) has helped him get through huge business probelms and come out the other side still helping others. Rather that than some miserable, foul mouthed egoist!

timetogo2016 Tue 14-Mar-23 10:52:14

Fair comment growstuff.