Gransnet forums

Food

Home made Hot Cross Buns

(41 Posts)
Rosiebee Tue 28-Mar-23 09:50:07

Looking for a recommended recipe for hot cross buns. Disappointed with some shop ones so thought I'd have a go at making my own. Also couldn't believe some of the weird variations. Just want a soft fruity bun with a bit of spice. Thanks

Calipso Sun 09-Apr-23 18:29:34

The Good Friday ones were so good, I just had to make some more

Arto1s Sun 09-Apr-23 17:31:14

Having lived in the US for over 30 years, I have been making my own Hot Cross Buns for about as long as that. There is nothing here to compare to ours in the UK. The recipe I use is from my Domestic Science exercise book, Lower VI, 1969-1970. True, tried and tested. Happy Easter everyone!

singingnutty Sun 09-Apr-23 16:15:12

Loopyloo, I use it for basic recipes a lot. In fact, mine, although still the original date, is a replacement because my original one fell to bits, and by the wonders of Amazon I got another one exactly the same. I have a friend who uses the same book. It's a classic - very few pictures, but just so reliable. I just had a thought - I am going to start a new thread asking GNetters to tell us all which cookery books they have used to most over the years. I suspect the Stork one will feature hugely as well.

loopyloo Sun 09-Apr-23 15:57:30

Singing nutty, so you still use that book too!
I am not alone!!!

narrowboatnan Sun 09-Apr-23 15:06:20

Glad it’s not just me that likes a soft, fruity bun with a bit of spice. I, too, hate all the fancy new ones. Managed to find some ‘ordinary’ ones in Asda the other day after I’d asked a shelf-filler where I could find proper, unadulterated, sticky and spicy hot cross buns. She had a chuckle and said she knew exactly what I meant

singingnutty Sun 09-Apr-23 14:50:52

I have made some in the past, using, like Loopyloo. the recipe from the GH recipe book, which I still use all the time. The best ones this year have been from ASDA several weeks ago. They were amazing. Don't usually shop there so I'm not sure if they were still doing them last week.

Norah Sun 09-Apr-23 13:59:18

Ours were fantastic, if I do say so myself... smile

loopyloo Sun 09-Apr-23 13:52:50

Yes made some with recipe from my good housekeeping book 1973.
They were delicious, especially with lots of butter.
All gone very quickly.
I like cooking with yeast because am amazed when it works!

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 09-Apr-23 13:31:11

I've never been successful with yeast, so have been ordering mine from Sainsburies. They are lovely and fruity.

Abitbarmy Sun 09-Apr-23 13:17:18

I’m going to have a go at Delia’s bread machine version. Takes a bit of the work out of it. Today’s gone to pot due to a family emergency but hopefully I’ll give them a go tomorrow whilst it’s still Easter!

reikinana Sun 09-Apr-23 13:11:55

I live in France so can’t buy any, even Lidl didn’t have any, so I made mine in the air fryer. Turned out well, all be it strange shapes, except the crosses made from flour and water went rock hard. Pleased with the first attempt though. Next time I will do something different for the crosses. Happy Easter everyone.

NanaDana Sun 09-Apr-23 12:51:53

Tried to make my own a couple of times, but they didn't turn out that well, and certainly couldn't compete with most shop-bought ones. I can strongly recommend the Co-op Irresistible richly fruited hot cross buns at £1.60 for a pack of 4. Much respect and well done to those of you out there who have had success with home-baking them

hebburnsent Sun 09-Apr-23 12:39:20

www.nancybirtwhistle.co.uk/recipes/hot-cross-buns/

Ning74 Sun 09-Apr-23 12:27:51

I didn’t get around to baking this Easter though I would have liked to if I had been more organised.
I am 75. When I was little you could only buy hot X buns on Good Friday traditionally flavoured with spice and no weird an wonderful flavours (no miss).
It was more meaningful as they weren’t sold every day of the year which actually defeats the purpose of a food marking Good Friday.

susiesioux Sun 09-Apr-23 11:33:32

I’ve made jamie olivers and also some tear and share ones in the sainsburys magazine last month. Both a resounding success

Lizzie44 Sun 09-Apr-23 11:29:22

Yes, agree about weird unnecessary variations of hot cross buns. Same thing at Christmas time with mince pie variations. Leave the traditional things alone!

puffernutter Sun 09-Apr-23 11:17:29

If anyone has a recipe for gluten-free / lactose free variants, I'd be interested. Difficult to find a good recipe!

LizIlkeston Sun 09-Apr-23 11:07:38

Delia or Mary Berry are foolproof. Homemade are so much better and freeze well

Namsnanny Thu 06-Apr-23 13:20:46

Witzend

Rosiebee

Looking for a recommended recipe for hot cross buns. Disappointed with some shop ones so thought I'd have a go at making my own. Also couldn't believe some of the weird variations. Just want a soft fruity bun with a bit of spice. Thanks

Same here over weird variations! Dh bought some so-called ‘extra special’ blueberry HCBs the other day - extra-disgusting, more like - just tasting of nothing except sickly over-sweetness. TBH I think he didn’t realise - hadn’t read the label.
Why on earth they have to bugger about with such nice traditional things I do not know.

My thoughts also. Chocolate ones at M&S, toffee ones some where else yuk!

Llamedos13 Thu 06-Apr-23 13:16:57

I make the dough for my hot cross buns in the breadmaker machine then bake them in the oven.The cross using the paste stuff was always a mess so now I make the cross with icing sugar.

Norah Thu 06-Apr-23 12:23:22

SuzieHi

Make sure you use strong plain flour.
Make the dough soft- a bit wetter than you think. Dry dough = hard buns that don’t rise well. Rise until double in size usually 1-2hrs then tip out & knead, (at this stage might need a little flour to handle). Cut into buns , make xs if you wish, leave until well risen (but still springy)then bake in a hot oven. Usually 15 mins until brown & hollow sounding when tapped on bottom.

Granoro Farina 00 is best for bread, to me. Gorgeous rolls.

SuzieHi Thu 06-Apr-23 07:27:33

Make sure you use strong plain flour.
Make the dough soft- a bit wetter than you think. Dry dough = hard buns that don’t rise well. Rise until double in size usually 1-2hrs then tip out & knead, (at this stage might need a little flour to handle). Cut into buns , make xs if you wish, leave until well risen (but still springy)then bake in a hot oven. Usually 15 mins until brown & hollow sounding when tapped on bottom.

Norah Wed 05-Apr-23 18:54:06

I've made several trail batch this week. All good.

I made some interesting cornetto, quite good - I'll bake at Easter.

Flour sourcing was a bit difficult this last couple of week, but sorted. Oats as well - need to make more oat milk.

jerseygirl Thu 30-Mar-23 18:06:38

I agree with the Mary Berry recipe

Rosiebee Thu 30-Mar-23 14:50:10

Well they didn't look pretty but the smell and texture were quite impressive. I think I might have also overbaked them a bit as the tops were not as soft as shop bought ones. They took a while to make with three provings but the trickiest part was doing the crosses. I think my paste mixture was too wet and it went everywhere. I left 6 unsullied by my messy efforts. Half the buns are now in the freezer. I'll definitely be giving them another go and might branch out into Chelsea Buns.