Gransnet forums

Food

Home made Hot Cross Buns

(40 Posts)
Rosiebee Tue 28-Mar-23 09:50:07

Looking for a recommended recipe for hot cross buns. Disappointed with some shop ones so thought I'd have a go at making my own. Also couldn't believe some of the weird variations. Just want a soft fruity bun with a bit of spice. Thanks

Sago Tue 28-Mar-23 09:57:28

Try this recipe, it worked for me last year. www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiLlavLn_79AhW0oVwKHU3tBR0QFnoECA8QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Ffood%2Frecipes%2Fmary_berrys_hot_cross_65003&usg=AOvVaw0ZZD9Pf0t9oWm55NexoH7H

TopsyIrene06 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:19:30

Google Mary Berry's Hot Cross Buns. Delicious.

Greenfinch Tue 28-Mar-23 11:31:57

I am using the BBC good food recipe at this very moment so will let you know how they turn out. It won’t be for a while yet as there are 3x 1hr. rising times and I am only on the first!

Auntieflo Tue 28-Mar-23 13:29:54

Hats off to all of you who make their own . Greenfinch 🤗
I did it once and they weren't a great success.
So now I buy from a supermarket and enjoy them while they last, which isn't long.

Witzend Tue 28-Mar-23 13:38:18

Rosiebee

Looking for a recommended recipe for hot cross buns. Disappointed with some shop ones so thought I'd have a go at making my own. Also couldn't believe some of the weird variations. Just want a soft fruity bun with a bit of spice. Thanks

Same here over weird variations! Dh bought some so-called ‘extra special’ blueberry HCBs the other day - extra-disgusting, more like - just tasting of nothing except sickly over-sweetness. TBH I think he didn’t realise - hadn’t read the label.
Why on earth they have to bugger about with such nice traditional things I do not know.

Greenfinch Tue 28-Mar-23 14:27:32

Sadly I burnt mine today. 🙁They had risen very well and were just the right size too but they took far less time in the oven than suggested. I shall be joining Auntieflo at the supermarket in future!

Norah Tue 28-Mar-23 14:31:57

We make spiced buns, without eggs or butter, pipe crosses on top.

winterwhite Tue 28-Mar-23 14:37:41

I used to use a Jane Grigson recipe when the DC were children. Very easy and delicious. But led to the making of dozens more than I would ever have bought. So not Labour saving

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Mar-23 15:32:47

Witzend

Rosiebee

Same here over weird variations! Dh bought some so-called ‘extra special’ blueberry HCBs the other day - extra-disgusting, more like - just tasting of nothing except sickly over-sweetness. TBH I think he didn’t realise - hadn’t read the label.
Why on earth they have to bugger about with such nice traditional things I do not know.

I agree, I'm a traditionalist!

Years ago I made Hot Cross buns but they weren't as good as shop-bought ones.

The best ones we ever had were fresh from a local Devon baker who opened specially on Good Friday (most shops were shut) and we could wander down the road and buy a paper bagful of buns.

Witzend Tue 28-Mar-23 20:17:15

In the 50s I remember going with my father to the bakery early on Good Friday for hot cross buns just out of the oven - we had them for breakfast. I loved them but it was a once a year event - we so rarely had any sort of cakes or buns from a shop.

Rosiebee Tue 28-Mar-23 20:34:47

Thanks all. I'm going to have a go with the Mary Berry recipe tomorrow. Thanks for the link - even has a video! Will post how it went.

Dimeye Thu 30-Mar-23 11:10:56

You might like to have a look at this one provided by a teaching chef:
www.hub-uk.com/tallyrecip02/recipe0073.htm

nipsmum Thu 30-Mar-23 11:34:48

Sainsbury's make some great combinations. Never made my own . They are better bought from a professional .

LJP1 Thu 30-Mar-23 12:23:52

I always made hot cross buns with the yeast from the ginger beer I brewed. It made lovely dough and the buns were delicious.

Rosiebee Thu 30-Mar-23 14:50:10

Well they didn't look pretty but the smell and texture were quite impressive. I think I might have also overbaked them a bit as the tops were not as soft as shop bought ones. They took a while to make with three provings but the trickiest part was doing the crosses. I think my paste mixture was too wet and it went everywhere. I left 6 unsullied by my messy efforts. Half the buns are now in the freezer. I'll definitely be giving them another go and might branch out into Chelsea Buns.

jerseygirl Thu 30-Mar-23 18:06:38

I agree with the Mary Berry recipe

Norah Wed 05-Apr-23 18:54:06

I've made several trail batch this week. All good.

I made some interesting cornetto, quite good - I'll bake at Easter.

Flour sourcing was a bit difficult this last couple of week, but sorted. Oats as well - need to make more oat milk.

SuzieHi Thu 06-Apr-23 07:27:33

Make sure you use strong plain flour.
Make the dough soft- a bit wetter than you think. Dry dough = hard buns that don’t rise well. Rise until double in size usually 1-2hrs then tip out & knead, (at this stage might need a little flour to handle). Cut into buns , make xs if you wish, leave until well risen (but still springy)then bake in a hot oven. Usually 15 mins until brown & hollow sounding when tapped on bottom.

Norah Thu 06-Apr-23 12:23:22

SuzieHi

Make sure you use strong plain flour.
Make the dough soft- a bit wetter than you think. Dry dough = hard buns that don’t rise well. Rise until double in size usually 1-2hrs then tip out & knead, (at this stage might need a little flour to handle). Cut into buns , make xs if you wish, leave until well risen (but still springy)then bake in a hot oven. Usually 15 mins until brown & hollow sounding when tapped on bottom.

Granoro Farina 00 is best for bread, to me. Gorgeous rolls.

Llamedos13 Thu 06-Apr-23 13:16:57

I make the dough for my hot cross buns in the breadmaker machine then bake them in the oven.The cross using the paste stuff was always a mess so now I make the cross with icing sugar.

Namsnanny Thu 06-Apr-23 13:20:46

Witzend

Rosiebee

My thoughts also. Chocolate ones at M&S, toffee ones some where else yuk!

LizIlkeston Sun 09-Apr-23 11:07:38

Delia or Mary Berry are foolproof. Homemade are so much better and freeze well

puffernutter Sun 09-Apr-23 11:17:29

If anyone has a recipe for gluten-free / lactose free variants, I'd be interested. Difficult to find a good recipe!

Lizzie44 Sun 09-Apr-23 11:29:22

Yes, agree about weird unnecessary variations of hot cross buns. Same thing at Christmas time with mince pie variations. Leave the traditional things alone!