Gransnet forums

Food

food safety

(86 Posts)
Health1Fitness2 Tue 28-Mar-23 12:15:23

Do you ever think that the food you eat is not safe?

M0nica Thu 30-Mar-23 19:19:35

Norah ham, chicken, duck(in wraps), roast beef, pastrami.

Norah Thu 30-Mar-23 19:32:42

M0nica

Norah ham, chicken, duck(in wraps), roast beef, pastrami.

Just raw meat, that people cook to make sandwiches (or wraps?)?

M0nica Thu 30-Mar-23 19:35:59

As I read the news item, these would have been cooked meats.

Norah Thu 30-Mar-23 20:11:48

M0nica

As I read the news item, these would have been cooked meats.

Already cooked for sandwiches? Not normal, correct?

I miss many silly products being vegan.

M0nica Fri 31-Mar-23 08:55:48

Ham is processed and cured prior to being sold. You do not buy legs of pork and process themselves into ham yourself.

Sandwich making companies buy all the constituent parts and just amalgamate them. They buy their butter and margarine in as well as falafels and fake meat products. They do not make them themselves. A meat processing factory might well have a unit that cooks and processes meat to sell on as prepacks to supermarkets and to the trade.

Norah Fri 31-Mar-23 12:37:40

M0nica

Ham is processed and cured prior to being sold. You do not buy legs of pork and process themselves into ham yourself.

Sandwich making companies buy all the constituent parts and just amalgamate them. They buy their butter and margarine in as well as falafels and fake meat products. They do not make them themselves. A meat processing factory might well have a unit that cooks and processes meat to sell on as prepacks to supermarkets and to the trade.

I thought gammon was processed? When we ate meat I had to cook it at home as it was still raw just brined. Perhaps I misunderstood.

IDK what a sandwich making company is, but sounds as if others are touching the food that people prepare, interesting.

Blondiescot Fri 31-Mar-23 14:36:38

Gammon is different from ham. If you buy cold meat for sandwiches, then yes, it is already cooked - whether that is ham, beef, chicken, pork or whatever. And a sandwich making company is exactly what is says - where do you think supermarkets get their pre-packed sandwiches from?

M0nica Fri 31-Mar-23 14:43:28

Norah, Gammon has been cured and processed, but is not cooked before you buy it.

Ham is cooked gammon and can be purchased in any supermarket and most food shops. It comes in many varieties and qualities. You will also see cooked beef, cooked chicken and a range of cooked fish on sale in supermarkets. It can be bought ready sliced and prepacked or, if the store has a delicatessen counter, sliced directly off the bone to meet the customers requirements.

Norah Fri 31-Mar-23 20:41:08

Blondiescot

Gammon is different from ham. If you buy cold meat for sandwiches, then yes, it is already cooked - whether that is ham, beef, chicken, pork or whatever. And a sandwich making company is exactly what is says - where do you think supermarkets get their pre-packed sandwiches from?

I understand now. We don't eat meat, now for 10 years. Gammon, I used to purchase had to be cooked, I was ignorant to ham.

Sorry I was asked, it was because I'm unaware. I never see pre-package sandwiches, we don't look to purchase those foods.

Granmarderby10 Fri 31-Mar-23 21:06:02

A meet processing plant in Derbyshire has closed down after being visited by the food standards agency and three people arrested.
This has resulted in 120 employees being made redundant😐

grandMattie Fri 31-Mar-23 21:09:22

No. If I thought so, I wouldn’t buy it or prepare it…

M0nica Sat 01-Apr-23 09:27:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 01-Apr-23 09:34:25

What a nasty comment MOnica. There is nothing‘morally superior’ in Norah’s posts. She doesn’t eat meat and doesn’t buy pre-packaged sandwiches. What’s your problem with that? Sounds very healthy to me.

Norah Sat 01-Apr-23 15:29:14

M0nica

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our <a target="_blank" rel="noopener" href="https://www.gransnet.com/info/netiquette">Talk guidelines.</a>

How dare you?

What in the world is morally superior about jambon knowledge?

I'm surely not morally superior if I ask a question because I don't know something. Actually, that's me educating myself.

As to looking round a shop - I'd rather not waste time. Shops don't amuse me in the least, nor does inspecting goods on display.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 01-Apr-23 15:40:47

I don’t look round shops either. I know what I want to buy, having planned the week’s meals, and don’t waste time browsing.

HousePlantQueen Sat 01-Apr-23 15:42:30

refers to a meat factory in Offaly. only me who tittered at the place name? grin

Dickens Sat 01-Apr-23 15:54:22

HousePlantQueen

*refers to a meat factory in Offaly.* only me who tittered at the place name? grin

No, ! had a little giggle too!

Entirely unrelated, but, at school, we had a resident nurse, and a visiting doctor and dentist.
The dentist - who used to administer the gas for tooth extractions in the school surgery, had the unfortunate name of "Croaker". It still amuses me to this day.

I love it when place names and people's names 'relate' to what they do, or the trade they ply. Very Dickensian.

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Apr-23 15:55:21

Norah

M0nica

I thought gammon was processed? When we ate meat I had to cook it at home as it was still raw just brined. Perhaps I misunderstood.

IDK what a sandwich making company is, but sounds as if others are touching the food that people prepare, interesting.

I'm confused too.

You can purchase a ham hock and it then needs cooking.

Norah Sat 01-Apr-23 16:30:22

Callistemon21

Norah

M0nica

I'm confused too.

You can purchase a ham hock and it then needs cooking.

Indeed. However, viewed by some to not understand that is "morally superior". Watch out the monitor will have a word with you.

M0nica Sat 01-Apr-23 17:16:20

I think the whole thing is probably inconsistent. I had forgotten about ham hocks. I grew up with ham being cooked and gammon raw. Ham hocks probably went to meat processors.

Allsorts Sat 01-Apr-23 17:20:01

I don’t eat processed food, the less a product has been handled the better, people should get back to basic and seasonal.

Blondiescot Sat 01-Apr-23 17:22:21

Oh here we go...

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 01-Apr-23 17:29:46

My husband loves ham hocks. Are you looking down on them MOnica? In fact we had ham hock terrine for lunch. Delicious.

Do you grind your own flour Ailidh? Do you eat butter and cheese? I suppose even frozen veg, so full of nutrients, have been processed.

HousePlantQueen Sat 01-Apr-23 17:43:50

Blondiescot

Oh here we go...

Just be quiet and eat your turnips, cooked from scratch of course. Just boiled, no added processed buttersmile

Blondiescot Sat 01-Apr-23 17:56:03

HousePlantQueen

Blondiescot

Oh here we go...

Just be quiet and eat your turnips, cooked from scratch of course. Just boiled, no added processed buttersmile

Oh I do love my neeps (preferably with tatties and haggis - freshly caught in the wild, of course!)