Gransnet forums

Food

Bitter liver..

(73 Posts)
Shinamae Wed 29-Mar-23 09:39:09

My son and grandson took me out last night for a belated Motherā€™s Day meal, we went to quite an up market restaurant and I ordered the calfs liver. It was absolutely horrible very very bitter. I called the waitress over and just said to her this liver is so bitter, I canā€™t eat it. Could you please tell the chef and what happened absolutely nothingā€¦šŸ˜¬Very disappointing evening. My son pleaded with me not to make a fuss so I didnā€™t but when I got home I wrote them a very strong worded email saying how disgusted I was not just the bitter liver but at their lack of care about it.
I do occasionally buy lambs liver myself, but I find that that is bitter, what on earth has happened to smooth, sweet liver that I used to have years and years ago?. It all now seems to be crumbly and bitter. I donā€™t know what I can do about it,every now and then I will buy it again and try again. Iā€™ve even bought it in a ready meal from Marks & Spencerā€™s, and Tesco finest still the same bitter liverā€¦šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

nanna8 Wed 29-Mar-23 13:19:30

Donā€™t eat liver, ghastly stuff. Have a nice steak instead !

Shinamae Wed 29-Mar-23 14:38:48

lemsip

NanaDana

Lemsip. Shinamae actually fell in with her Son's request "not to make a fuss", so your rather rude post/harsh response is based on your misreading of what actually happened. Are you going to apologise?

I suggest you read the op a bit more thoroughly before being rude to me.

OP states

My son and grandson took me out last night for a belated Motherā€™s Day meal, we went to quite an up market restaurant and I ordered the calfs liver. It was absolutely horrible very very bitter. * I called the waitress over * and just said to her this liver is so bitter, I canā€™t eat it. Could you please tell the chef silly statements.

Lemsip, what did you say to me that was so bad that Gransnet actually deleted it?

Shinamae Wed 29-Mar-23 14:42:41

Shinamae

lemsip

NanaDana

Lemsip. Shinamae actually fell in with her Son's request "not to make a fuss", so your rather rude post/harsh response is based on your misreading of what actually happened. Are you going to apologise?

I suggest you read the op a bit more thoroughly before being rude to me.

OP states

My son and grandson took me out last night for a belated Motherā€™s Day meal, we went to quite an up market restaurant and I ordered the calfs liver. It was absolutely horrible very very bitter. * I called the waitress over * and just said to her this liver is so bitter, I canā€™t eat it. Could you please tell the chef silly statements.

Lemsip, what did you say to me that was so bad that Gransnet actually deleted it?

And what are silly ā€œstatementsā€..

Shinamae Wed 29-Mar-23 14:52:03

I had this response earlier onā€¦.
Which I appreciate, but not sure I want to eat there again..

M0nica Wed 29-Mar-23 15:05:36

I love liver - and we eat it regularly and I have never experienced any liver that tastes bitter, nor any that is crumbly, unless it is very, very overcooked.

I order liver when in restaurants, and again I have never experienced bitter or crumbly liver when eating it away from home..

I have done a bit of googling and according to sources I have found if the liver tastes bitter it is because some of the fluid from the bile duct has got into or on the liver.

The real problem here is the son not wanting the OP to make a fuss. I suppose it depends on his definition of making a fuss. Some people would put up with anything rather than make a public complaint, however quietly and courteously done. Others get nervous when they know the complainer tends to escalate quickly from quiet and courteous to shouty. As OP's son was the host and she the guest of honour, I can understand why she didn't want to make a fuss if her son would be embarrassed by it.

Grandmaderby10 Calves liver is still available from any good butcher. The problem is that there is so, generally, so little demand for any kind of liver that supermarkets rarely stock it. I can get a range of different livers from my local farmer/producer farm shop. Kidneys are also rarely available, other than from a butcher.

Shinamae Wed 29-Mar-23 15:09:16

M0nica

I love liver - and we eat it regularly and I have never experienced any liver that tastes bitter, nor any that is crumbly, unless it is very, very overcooked.

I order liver when in restaurants, and again I have never experienced bitter or crumbly liver when eating it away from home..

I have done a bit of googling and according to sources I have found if the liver tastes bitter it is because some of the fluid from the bile duct has got into or on the liver.

The real problem here is the son not wanting the OP to make a fuss. I suppose it depends on his definition of making a fuss. Some people would put up with anything rather than make a public complaint, however quietly and courteously done. Others get nervous when they know the complainer tends to escalate quickly from quiet and courteous to shouty. As OP's son was the host and she the guest of honour, I can understand why she didn't want to make a fuss if her son would be embarrassed by it.

Grandmaderby10 Calves liver is still available from any good butcher. The problem is that there is so, generally, so little demand for any kind of liver that supermarkets rarely stock it. I can get a range of different livers from my local farmer/producer farm shop. Kidneys are also rarely available, other than from a butcher.

Thanks for that very nice, KIND and helpful reply, Monica šŸ¤—
I shall buy some lambs liver and soak it in milk overnight and try again
As nobody else seems to have trouble with it, it maybe my tastebuds, but oh my goodness, I hope notā€¦šŸ«£

Primrose53 Wed 29-Mar-23 15:20:50

We love liver but much prefer lambs liver. Never, ever had a problem with it.

My friend is French and is a chef. She always used to say if the food is not up to scratch just put down your cutlery and tell them you are leaving. She says the English make too much fuss about discussing it, asking for money off etc. just walk out she says!

ParlorGames Wed 29-Mar-23 15:21:41

I do remember my Mum saying that if liver was crumbly after cooking it was probably a bit 'old' and had been in the butchers shop longer than usual.....she also used to soak it in milk for a few hours before cooking and always purchased lambs liver; never pigs or beast as they are always stronger in flavour.

I think the OP was in a difficult position and I understand her son asking her not to make a fuss; but why not make a fuss?? He was treating her to dinner and the food she ordered was substandard. Personally, and my daughters would agree with me on this, Mothers Day treat or not, I would have sent the meal back and politely asked for the chef to come out and address the matter - no shouting or rudeness necessary - a good chef wouldn't have minded doing this.

Naturally, the OP can visit the restaurant website and leave a review according to her experience but if the matter isn't addressed at source then how can things change or improve.

There's definitely no need for rudeness unless the chef/management are dismissive and that makes it another matter entirely.

Shinamae Wed 29-Mar-23 15:23:56

ParlorGames

I do remember my Mum saying that if liver was crumbly after cooking it was probably a bit 'old' and had been in the butchers shop longer than usual.....she also used to soak it in milk for a few hours before cooking and always purchased lambs liver; never pigs or beast as they are always stronger in flavour.

I think the OP was in a difficult position and I understand her son asking her not to make a fuss; but why not make a fuss?? He was treating her to dinner and the food she ordered was substandard. Personally, and my daughters would agree with me on this, Mothers Day treat or not, I would have sent the meal back and politely asked for the chef to come out and address the matter - no shouting or rudeness necessary - a good chef wouldn't have minded doing this.

Naturally, the OP can visit the restaurant website and leave a review according to her experience but if the matter isn't addressed at source then how can things change or improve.

There's definitely no need for rudeness unless the chef/management are dismissive and that makes it another matter entirely.

If you read back a bit, I have posted the response from the restaurant..

M0nica Wed 29-Mar-23 15:41:08

I think the restaurany's response is admirable. Had i had a problem like Shinamae's I would give them a second chance on the basis of that reply.

Enid101 Wed 29-Mar-23 22:16:40

M0nica

I think the restaurany's response is admirable. Had i had a problem like Shinamae's I would give them a second chance on the basis of that reply.

Agree!

Shinamae Wed 29-Mar-23 22:59:39

Enid101

M0nica

Agree!

And I will! šŸ˜

Catterygirl Thu 30-Mar-23 00:14:49

I love all kinds of offal. What a shame OP had a disappointing meal.

Shelflife Thu 30-Mar-23 10:44:39

Must be lambs liver everytime ! On the rare occasions I cook it I coat it in flour, fry it gently for a very short time with minimum oil then add stock / gravy add finely chopped onions and season. Place a lid on the pan and let it simmer till onions are soft and liver cooked.

M0nica Thu 30-Mar-23 16:05:04

I have lots of different recipes for cooking offal: as a goulasch, with wine, choppe dfinely and cooked in marmite gravy. There are an enormous variety of ways of cooking liver. It doesn't jst have to be cooked with onions and in a brown gravy.

cc Fri 31-Mar-23 11:41:21

The only liver that I've had that was bitter was ox liver, which they used to give us at school. It makes me wonder if they've been sold the wrong meat.
I just cook calves liver as it is and have never had a problem, though I do soak lamb's liver in milk before cooking it.

cc Fri 31-Mar-23 11:44:26

Or presumably pigs liver, which I didn't realise could be bought? I know that pigs kidney is pretty strong tasting in steak and kidney, I always use lamb's.

missdeke Fri 31-Mar-23 11:46:03

If I cook liver I tend to make Armenian Liver, Cut into small cubes, about half an inch, toss in spiced flour and fry briefly in hot oil, it's delicious cold too. The spices I tend to use are mild chilli powder, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon, perhaps these aren't strictly traditional but they are ehat I like.

LJP1 Fri 31-Mar-23 11:57:39

They 'forgot' to remove the gall bladder - or split it as they were cuting it out.

Sawsage2 Fri 31-Mar-23 12:03:55

Just don't eat liver in a restaurant again. Easy.

Norah Fri 31-Mar-23 12:10:13

Sawsage2

Just don't eat liver in a restaurant again. Easy.

Agreed.

When we used to eat meat I wouldn't eat liver - and certainly wouldn't order it when it's necessary to eat in a restaurant.

twinnytwin Fri 31-Mar-23 12:14:39

As a kid I used to hate liver - my Mum would always buy pig's liver and fried it as a big chunk - tough as old boots. My italian MIL showed me to slice the lamb's liver quite finely and fry it quickly in a hot pan. Delicious - in fact I cooked it like that last night for DH and me. She, and I, never soak liver beforehand.

Jaye53 Fri 31-Mar-23 13:42:29

So glad I never have this liver problem. I'm vegan

MiniMoon Fri 31-Mar-23 13:52:23

www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/liver-and-bacon-with-onion-gravy

This is my favourite recipe for liver and bacon. I make it quite often, it's DH's favourite.

fuseta Fri 31-Mar-23 13:57:04

Me too Jaye 53! I have only been so for four years but now it seems abhorrent to eat body parts of any animal!