Gransnet forums

Food

Bitter liver..

(73 Posts)
Shinamae Wed 29-Mar-23 09:39:09

My son and grandson took me out last night for a belated Motherā€™s Day meal, we went to quite an up market restaurant and I ordered the calfs liver. It was absolutely horrible very very bitter. I called the waitress over and just said to her this liver is so bitter, I canā€™t eat it. Could you please tell the chef and what happened absolutely nothingā€¦šŸ˜¬Very disappointing evening. My son pleaded with me not to make a fuss so I didnā€™t but when I got home I wrote them a very strong worded email saying how disgusted I was not just the bitter liver but at their lack of care about it.
I do occasionally buy lambs liver myself, but I find that that is bitter, what on earth has happened to smooth, sweet liver that I used to have years and years ago?. It all now seems to be crumbly and bitter. I donā€™t know what I can do about it,every now and then I will buy it again and try again. Iā€™ve even bought it in a ready meal from Marks & Spencerā€™s, and Tesco finest still the same bitter liverā€¦šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Jac53 Fri 31-Mar-23 14:04:49

You can soak liver in milk before cooking to help with bitterness. The chef should have done this.

ExDancer Fri 31-Mar-23 14:21:06

My parents farmed pigs.
My mum used pigs liver and soaked it in milk for an hour or two. The reason for the milk is to rinse off any trace of bile that might have been accidentally spilled onto the liver by the butcher.
When its gritty its usually been overcooked. Perhaps the chef didn't rinse it.
You were right to raise the issue but the waitress should have passed it on to the chef. From what you say I wouldn't have expected chef to come out as he wasn't aware of the problem, but you should have been offered a replacement.
I don't think it warranted money back though, no-one can judge a piece of liver just by looking at it.

MelAnt2 Fri 31-Mar-23 14:31:07

It sounds like it was pigs liver, which is bitter (I donā€™t like it) and they were trying to pass it off as calves liver, which is much more expensive.

4allweknow Fri 31-Mar-23 15:22:35

Have you tried calves liver? Much more delicate texture and taste. Also, have you had Covid, perhaps your taste buds have changed or been affected tjough woujd account for the crumbly texture.

queenofsaanich69 Fri 31-Mar-23 16:05:33

I find lambs liver is much nicer.

Azalea99 Fri 31-Mar-23 16:48:31

OP. You have spoken up at the restaurant, you have emailed without a response. Now you should hit TripAdvisor with all guns blazing. Tell the public you complained and were ignored- twice and tell the public why you complained. I donā€™t eat at new places without checking TripAdvisor & know plenty of others who do the same. Iā€™d be amazed they ignore you a third time, but if they do ā€¦.. well, youā€™ve fired warning shots over their bows twice and now you can take aim below the water line.
(Thereā€™s no parrot on my shoulder, honest Guv - donā€™t know where that theme came from!)

JaneJudge Fri 31-Mar-23 16:55:50

I'm glad you've had a satisfactory response smile

Shinamae Fri 31-Mar-23 16:56:24

Azalea99

OP. You have spoken up at the restaurant, you have emailed without a response. Now you should hit TripAdvisor with all guns blazing. Tell the public you complained and were ignored- twice and tell the public why you complained. I donā€™t eat at new places without checking TripAdvisor & know plenty of others who do the same. Iā€™d be amazed they ignore you a third time, but if they do ā€¦.. well, youā€™ve fired warning shots over their bows twice and now you can take aim below the water line.
(Thereā€™s no parrot on my shoulder, honest Guv - donā€™t know where that theme came from!)

Hi, if you go back the thread a bit you will see that I sent them an email and that they have replied and today I have received a Ā£15 voucher..

Azalea99 Fri 31-Mar-23 17:30:41

Brilliant news OP! Sorry - I only read the first 2 pages. Iā€™m very pleased for you - & thanks for the update šŸ‘ŒšŸ‘Œ

Shinamae Fri 31-Mar-23 17:32:08

Azalea99

Brilliant news OP! Sorry - I only read the first 2 pages. Iā€™m very pleased for you - & thanks for the update šŸ‘ŒšŸ‘Œ

Thank youā€¦šŸ¤—

LRavenscroft Fri 31-Mar-23 17:47:29

Would you be able to pop into a good local butcher who knows their stuff, perhaps buy something you want and get into conversation with him about your query? You don't need to mention the restaurant but tell them about the taste and consistency. They may be able to add some more information.

Shinamae Fri 31-Mar-23 17:49:52

LRavenscroft

Would you be able to pop into a good local butcher who knows their stuff, perhaps buy something you want and get into conversation with him about your query? You don't need to mention the restaurant but tell them about the taste and consistency. They may be able to add some more information.

I am going to town tomorrow and there is a good local butcher. I will go in and get some lambs liver and ask his advice, thank you for yoursā€¦.

Sizzlebot Fri 31-Mar-23 18:42:45

When something isn't to your liking, the correct approach is to call the waiter over and politely state exactly what you want, eg the dish taken off the bill, a different dish or whatever. This will then happen. No need to make a fuss; no need for rude emails. Britons are very lacking in this area! Next time try my technique; you'll find it works very well šŸ˜Š.

2507C0 Fri 31-Mar-23 19:31:29

šŸ¤¢šŸ¤®. The liver of a calf. OMG. A tiny male calf removed at birth from his distressed mum who is used as a dairy cow?

Arto1s Fri 31-Mar-23 19:53:04

Such a coincidence that this was posted today. For the first time in a very long time, I cooked Calves Liver in a Sherry and Cream Sauce. It was absolutely delicious, and no hint of bitterness.

Cold Fri 31-Mar-23 19:54:01

All livers taste different - lamb, pigs, calf, ox or chicken. The crumbly texture sounds as though it was a bit overcooked.

I think that when you made the complaint to the waitress you need to be specific about what you want and preferably after a couple of bites. Do you want them to make it again? Do you want a different dish as a replacement? Do you want your money back? Always better to make it clear while they can remedy the problem

Just saying you found it bitter may have been interpreted as just ordering a dish that you didn't like. The waitress may have been a temp or teenager and not understood what you were getting at. Also it is a common thing in restaurants for people to want compensation often after eating the whole dish. I wouldn't expect the chef to come out in the middle of a busy service - especially when you had not really asked for anything specific

The reply was really lovely so I hope you give them another chance

Granmarderby10 Fri 31-Mar-23 20:54:54

2507C0 I had been under the impression that calf liver wasnā€™t sold in UK but it seems it is.
But either way If you think itā€™s wrong to eat meat then it is unacceptable what ever the animal or itā€™s age.

M0nica Sat 01-Apr-23 09:30:56

Calves liver is considered the highest quality liver, so it is very expensive, therefore most people eat pigs or lambs liver. Also in the UK there is very little demand for veal so there is very little local supply to the market - which also drives the price up

However, top-end restaurants will serve calves livert, but probably the average gastropub will serve lambs or pigs liver.

dogsmother Sat 01-Apr-23 10:00:43

How terribly disappointing, I love calves liver and generally choose it if itā€™s on the menu. Itā€™s a bit of a treat. Not too much like lamb or pigs liver, a far better ( to me at least) taste.

Shinamae Sat 01-Apr-23 10:47:37

dogsmother

How terribly disappointing, I love calves liver and generally choose it if itā€™s on the menu. Itā€™s a bit of a treat. Not too much like lamb or pigs liver, a far better ( to me at least) taste.

Exactly, because it was a treat, I ordered the calves liver, ordinarily, it would have been lambs liverā€¦

Gundy Sat 01-Apr-23 12:59:00

Medications definitely can alter a personā€™s taste for certain foods. If you are repeatedly having the same bitter experience, it may be over for you to enjoy liver from the good old days. Are there any other foods that give you the same reaction?

Shinamae Sat 01-Apr-23 15:48:13

Gundy

Medications definitely can alter a personā€™s taste for certain foods. If you are repeatedly having the same bitter experience, it may be over for you to enjoy liver from the good old days. Are there any other foods that give you the same reaction?

No, none at all, itā€™s very strangeā€¦.
The only medication I take is a low dose statin, otherwise itā€™s magnesium, vitamin D,Omega 3 fish oil, glucosamine and a couple of other supplements..