Gransnet forums

Food

Which cookery book have you used most over the years?

(122 Posts)
singingnutty Sun 09-Apr-23 16:35:01

Following posting on the Hot Cross Buns thread, and finding a fellow enthusiast for the Good Housekeeping Cookery Book, I would like to ask GNetters which cookery book they have used most over the years. Loopyloo said she uses the 1957 version of the GH book but, having checked, mine is actually 1972. I suspect the basic recipes are the same - just mine might have a few more exotic ones like Baked Courgettes and Aubergines or Lasagne Al Forno. Some ingredients for these may have been available in cities back in the 50's but probably not easily found elsewhere?

GrandmaSeaDragon Fri 23-Jun-23 21:45:36

Good Housekeeping Cookery book which I started with in 1971. Also used the OXO Book of Meat Cookery and the Readers Digest cookery through the year. Then Delia came on the TV, so brought her Complete Cookery Course, in 3 parts. Latterly, loads of Mary Berry’s book. All my cakes are from Mary now! Over the years, I’ve “inherited” Stork cookery books, the Marguerite Patten book, Cranks, wartime recipe books and so many others. I remember in the early days sending for lots of little recipe books advertised on food wrappers, giving cheese, diary, various vegetables or Marmite recipes etc. Really should clear the cupboard out but somehow haven’t the heart to! Mainly search online for recipes now.

silverberryfern Fri 23-Jun-23 20:55:06

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

sunglow12 Wed 12-Apr-23 22:25:35

Definitely Delia / I can actually produce a decent meal following her recipes . All the others just clutter as far as I am concerned !

GrammaH Wed 12-Apr-23 13:50:33

Oh Arlme, I'm so used to putting cheese in that I forgot the original recipe doesn't have it! I just add a layer of cheese along with the bacon, onions & potatoes . It's one of our absolute favourite dishes, along with a cold meat, onions, potato & gravy recipe from Robert Carrier - delicious!

Madgran77 Wed 12-Apr-23 12:38:08

Womans Own Complrte Cokkery aka 1975 version

And use a lot of Mary Berry and Jamie Oliver but off internet these days

OmaforMaya Wed 12-Apr-23 12:20:10

Judy54

Margaret Pattern Cookery in colour circa 1968. Still use it today . Luckily it is a hardback which has kept it in relatively good but well used condition. Always useful for many recipes.

Do you mean Marguerite Patten?

Maggiemaybe Wed 12-Apr-23 08:17:31

Whoops, sorry for all the duplication there - I’m not sure what happened! I previewed it as well! grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 12-Apr-23 08:15:58

We’ve a dozen or so cookery books that lie idle most of the time these days. But Delia’s have been the favourites by far over the years.

DH is my chef since he retired and tends just to try out the weekend supplement recipes.

On the other hand, I get back in the kitchen when we’re entertaining and I also do any baking that’s needed. I get most of my recipes now by browsing online - the BBC Good Food site’s a favourite, and I’ve found some great cake recipes on an American one called Add a Pinch. I find it helpful to see the reviews and comments for new recipes. The much-splattered and tatty Delia’s Christmas book We’ve a dozen or so cookery books - Delia’s have been the favourites by far over the years.

Though DH is my chef these days and likes trying out the weekend supplement recipes. Gino and Ottelenghi are particular favourites. He doesn’t do online.

On the other hand, I get back in the kitchen when we’re entertaining and I also do any baking that’s needed. I get most of my recipes these days by browsing online - the BBC Good Food site’s a favourite. I find it helpful to see the reviews and comments for new recipes. The much-splattered and tatty Delia’s Christmas book still comes out every single year though.

Arlme Wed 12-Apr-23 07:57:16

Frugal Food, Delia Smith. Still in use. Predated the Delia Smith Complete cooking course. On our second copy, first fell to bits.

Arlme Wed 12-Apr-23 07:54:47

GrammaH

I've just looked back and seen mention of The Pauper's Cookbook. That was a favourite at uni and I bought a hardback to replace my original worn out original paperback. The potato, bacon and cheese hotpot is still a household favourite nearly 50 years later.

Yes one of my originals from bedsit cooking. The recipe you quote is potato, bacon and onion which has been a long term favourite but never thought of adding cheese. A revelation! Will share with OH!

JackyB Wed 12-Apr-23 07:54:15

kittylester

Apart from the things like Delia, I have dozens on cookery books who I only use for a couple of recipes. Anyone else?

Yes, I go to different books for different recipes; the versions that suit me best are sprinkled throughout my kitchen library.

For basics and for ideas, though, my main source is Good Housekeeping, but nowadays I tend to look online first, which also has the advantage that you can often adjust the quantities automatically to suit and you can create a shopping list.

I do love leafing through cookery books though, especially if they have lots of gorgeous photos.

Grandmabatty Wed 12-Apr-23 07:48:54

Like many of you, the Bero book is probably used most throughout the year. I've had many versions and the older ones were better in my mind. I always use Delia's Christmas recipes, so her book gets a workout from October onwards.

cc Wed 12-Apr-23 07:47:06

I think that there are a couple of good recipes in most books but the one I really can't bear is Nigella.

cc Wed 12-Apr-23 07:45:45

HillyN

I collected Marguerite Patten's Perfect Cooking as separate chapters in the early 70's; I think they were given away with petrol at that time. I sent away for the binder and later I borrowed the book from the public library and my future FIL kindly typed out the index for me, as it didn't have one.
It was my cookery 'bible' throughout university and early years of marriage.
In 1977 I bought the Dairy cookbook from the milkman and that has been my standby since then. I also have Mum's Bero recipe book that I keep, mainly for the Melting Moments recipe.

Oh yes, those melting moments!

Lilyflower Tue 11-Apr-23 22:24:07

A Mary Berry book we were given as an engagement present in 1978 and the Bero book.

JPB123 Tue 11-Apr-23 21:11:56

Madhur J,
Be-Ro
Good housekeeping.
All colour Hamlyn Cookbook.
Sometimes I Google for recipes nowadays.

GrammaH Tue 11-Apr-23 20:10:37

I've just looked back and seen mention of The Pauper's Cookbook. That was a favourite at uni and I bought a hardback to replace my original worn out original paperback. The potato, bacon and cheese hotpot is still a household favourite nearly 50 years later.

GrammaH Tue 11-Apr-23 20:07:12

My mum never let me in the kitchen so, as a student in the late 70s, I learnt from Margaritte Patten's Step by Step cookbook. I got married in 1981 and graduated to the Dairy cookbooks and Robert Carrier, all 3 of which I still use today. I do tend to just Google recipes these days, despite having a plethora of cookbooks and recipes cut from magazines

dizzygran Tue 11-Apr-23 19:41:10

Lovely post - remembering all the cookbooks. The one I go back to is the Dairy Cookbook given to me by my late mum nearly 60 years ago.

Shizam Tue 11-Apr-23 19:09:50

Marguerite Patten was first one I bought. Got lost in a move. Next purchase was Delia Smith’s Cookery Course. I still use it, 40 years later. Watch Jamie on TV and do some of his. Also love Nigella. But Delia is the patron saint. 😍

HillyN Tue 11-Apr-23 18:55:35

I collected Marguerite Patten's Perfect Cooking as separate chapters in the early 70's; I think they were given away with petrol at that time. I sent away for the binder and later I borrowed the book from the public library and my future FIL kindly typed out the index for me, as it didn't have one.
It was my cookery 'bible' throughout university and early years of marriage.
In 1977 I bought the Dairy cookbook from the milkman and that has been my standby since then. I also have Mum's Bero recipe book that I keep, mainly for the Melting Moments recipe.

Shrub Tue 11-Apr-23 18:37:55

Delia’s Frugal Food, The Pauper’s Cookbook by Jocasta Innes, The Penguin Cookery Book by Bee Nilson and Constance Spry’s cookery book.
Now the internet.

Bunty Tue 11-Apr-23 18:11:59

Cookbooks, not boks!

Bunty Tue 11-Apr-23 18:11:22

I also discovered Mary Berry through Home and Freezer magazine, which I used to buy when I lived in South Africa in the 70s. I still have some recipes from those magazines which I use today. Also MB's Cooking for your Freezer which was an M&S book, also bought in South Africa. I use plenty of MB recipes today. During lockdown, I went through all my MB cookboks and marked 'interesting' recipes with post-its. My go-to book for cakes and bakes is a great South African 'bible', Cook and Enjoy It. The cakes are never-fail and I wouldn't use anything else.

DianaLouise Tue 11-Apr-23 17:29:48

Evelyn Rose's international cookery book.