Gransnet forums

Food

The Coronation Quiche

(101 Posts)
Foxygloves Tue 18-Apr-23 11:20:32

Is anybody else underwhelmed?
I like my Quiche Lorraine made the classic way as opposed to what I used to make which was “Whatever mum has found in the salad /veggie drawer quiche”
One food writer recommends substituting watercress for the spinach (makes it soggy) and of course peeling the cooked broad beans, now that’s a boring job.
Oh (un)happy memories of church does where the paper plates gave way before you cut the bottom of the quiche!
No, it will be Coronation chicken for me, a glass or several of Prosecco or Cava (or Crémant now that Prosecco is cheap and common as chips) and maybe a cream tea in honour of the Duchy of Cornwall.

Foxygloves Wed 19-Apr-23 13:45:23

Blondiescot

The recipe is easily adaptable to feature any kind of pastry you prefer.

But being so adaptable is just what makes it the opposite of special or unique!
There is nothing specifically British or Royal about this quiche. IMO it has too many flavours, a hodgepodge of ingredients just like that dreadful Platinum Jubilee trifle year.
Scottish Salmon flan (hot smoked as in *Greydusters recipe) asparagus - English or Welsh, in season, or leeks (Welsh) and an English cheese would reflect at least three of the home nations, with perhaps Kerrygold butter to bring Ireland in?
Failing that - Welsh or English lamb, Jersey Royals (geddit) or Ayrshire potatoes, or Whitstable oysters - oh there are so many options they could have explored!
Or they could have chosen what I believe is the favourite takeaway - Chicken Tikka grin

Callistemon21 Wed 19-Apr-23 14:10:29

Or they could have chosen what I believe is the favourite takeaway - Chicken Tikka
That's Scottish, isn't it? Invented in Glasgow?

Scottish salmon (hot smoked or otherwise), Herefordshire asparagus (in season), Welsh Black Bomber cheese, Irish butter, English flour, a sprinkle of Cornish sea salt, British eggs and milk.

They should have asked Gransnetters for recipes.

Foxygloves Wed 19-Apr-23 14:29:22

Maybe Chicken Tikka Quiche as that’s poshergringrin

Tattooedfidelma Wed 19-Apr-23 14:51:59

Lots of the suggestions sound lovely (smoked salmon, asparagus and expensive cheeses) but many of these items are out of reach of those struggling to make ends meet. The lovely thing about this quiche is that the ingredients are affordable and I honestly think that was what Charles had in mind when he chose it.
It’s impossible to please everyone but I’m really happy with his choice.

semperfidelis Wed 19-Apr-23 15:00:18

I don't think that the Quiche will be joining the ranks of Coronation Chicken and the Victoria Sponge.
Neither has the Platinum Jubilee trifle, which has sunk without trace.
No wonder. It contained: layers of lemon curd and custard, a mandarin coulis (made with tinned manarins), amaretti biscuits, whipped cream and a jewelled chocolate bark. My grandson made it for my family. It was time consuming and incredibly sickly and stodgy.
The Coronation Quiche will also be time consuming and likely to have a soggy bottom because of the spinach.
A more realistic approach might have been to ask Jamie Oliver to invent a delicious dish with four ingredients that costs no more than £1 per portion.

Lilyflower Wed 19-Apr-23 15:03:48

Another attempt to make us veggies from the elite - who won't be eating bean pie!

Blondiescot Wed 19-Apr-23 15:27:14

I agree with you, Foxygloves. I think it was a missed opportunity to use some of our wonderful British produce, such as those suggested. I was just pointing out that it could easily be made gluten free or vegan if anyone really wanted to. But you're never going to please everyone, especially on here.

Yammy Wed 19-Apr-23 15:41:01

Freya5

Yammy

I've just read the recipe and the pastry as well as being made with lard uses milk instead of very cold water!!!!!
One to give a miss.

My mum always made her pastry with a mix of butter and lard. Crisp and delicious. Can't stand slimy spinach though. .

I would agree Freya5 the old-school recipe for pastry was half fat to pl. flour a pinch of salt and ice-cold water. The fat was half butter and half lard.
I suppose omitting the lard is for the Muslim communities fare enough but I have never heard of pastry made with milk. Scones yes pastry no.

effalump Wed 19-Apr-23 16:27:59

I know it's supposed to be a 'cut-price' Coronation but to let the Plebs think they will be feasting on cheese and egg quiche is a joke. That's probably to let us think they are considering how we struggle to put food on the table. Out of sight of cameras, they'll be feasting on the best of everything. It's like when the WEF tell us all not to use our cars while 1800 private jets make their way to Davos.

Grandma70s Wed 19-Apr-23 17:16:12

People were much less mean-spirited about the Queen’s coronation in 1953. Yet in postwar Britain the majority of people were much poorer than they are now, just not so mercenary.

Callistemon21 Wed 19-Apr-23 18:05:01

Tattooedfidelma

Lots of the suggestions sound lovely (smoked salmon, asparagus and expensive cheeses) but many of these items are out of reach of those struggling to make ends meet. The lovely thing about this quiche is that the ingredients are affordable and I honestly think that was what Charles had in mind when he chose it.
It’s impossible to please everyone but I’m really happy with his choice.

It is supposedly a special occasion quiche but it didn't sound very special to me, it sounded as if it was devised with economy in mind.

The recipe we suggested could be adapted quite easily. An alternative to salmon, a leek or onion instead of asparagus although asparagus will be in season, and any tasty Cheddar.

I was just suggesting that food from the four nations might have made it special.

And I've never used Black Bomber in a quiche!

Kim19 Wed 19-Apr-23 20:13:32

Think we have to face the fact that very many people are completely indifferent to this forthcoming coronation and therefore enthusiasm is thin on the ground. Hope I'm wrong.

Goldieoldie15 Wed 19-Apr-23 22:30:12

What exactly is blind baking? How? I’d be grateful for advice on this. Thank you

Deedaa Wed 19-Apr-23 22:43:15

Goldieoldie15 Blind baking is baking the crust before you put the filling in. You put the pastry in the flan tin and lay a piece of greaseproof paper or baking parchment on top. Then you fill it with beans.The weight of the beans stops the pastry rising up. You can buy ceramic baking beans or just use dried beans which can then be kept for blind baking. Off the top of my head I think you bake it foe about 15 minutes, not too long because it will be baked again after you put the filling in and you don't want to burn it.

Callistemon21 Wed 19-Apr-23 22:45:35

Goldieoldie15

What exactly is blind baking? How? I’d be grateful for advice on this. Thank you

Line the tin or dish with pastry, prick the pastry with a fork (optional). Line with baking paper, weigh down with baking beans and bake in oven for 10-15 minutes.
Remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes.

Callistemon21 Wed 19-Apr-23 22:46:18

X post Deeda

Saetana Wed 19-Apr-23 22:48:12

Given I absolutely detest spinach lol - the "Coronation Quiche" sounds disgusting. I prefer a traditional quiche, or cheese and onion is nice as well.

Callistemon21 Wed 19-Apr-23 23:16:59

Spinach would have to be well drained in a salad spinner otherwise it could be soggy.

Hetty58 Wed 19-Apr-23 23:27:14

Well - at least it's not a horrid trifle! I'd make a no egg or dairy version, with roasted red peppers, onions and peas!

Rosie51 Wed 19-Apr-23 23:51:41

I enjoy a variety of quiches from the cheap and cheerful to expensive ingredients. I think this one looked fine, and I'd happily eat it. Love broad beans and love spinach. If you dry wilt fresh spinach and let it fully drain there won't be any 'liquid' seeping in the quiche. Did anyone look at the finished quiche when it was sliced? I didn't see any excess liquid.
One of my favourite quiches is asparagus, goats cheese and wild or green garlic. Hot smoked salmon can be added for more luxury.

nanna8 Thu 20-Apr-23 07:10:31

Grandma70s

People were much less mean-spirited about the Queen’s coronation in 1953. Yet in postwar Britain the majority of people were much poorer than they are now, just not so mercenary.

Yes- you have a point there. Probably because they had experienced real hardship and death and destruction so it was a good bit of light relief and patriotism.

Chardy Thu 20-Apr-23 08:16:50

Deedaa

Goldieoldie15 Blind baking is baking the crust before you put the filling in. You put the pastry in the flan tin and lay a piece of greaseproof paper or baking parchment on top. Then you fill it with beans.The weight of the beans stops the pastry rising up. You can buy ceramic baking beans or just use dried beans which can then be kept for blind baking. Off the top of my head I think you bake it foe about 15 minutes, not too long because it will be baked again after you put the filling in and you don't want to burn it.

I use pasta rather than beans - only because I rarely have dried beans, but always have pasta shells.

Callistemon21 Thu 20-Apr-23 10:08:43

nanna8

Grandma70s

Yes- you have a point there. Probably because they had experienced real hardship and death and destruction so it was a good bit of light relief and patriotism.

And there was no internet!!

Callistemon21 Thu 20-Apr-23 10:09:45

Chardy

Deedaa

I use pasta rather than beans - only because I rarely have dried beans, but always have pasta shells.

I think I've found a use at last for broad beans

Dry them and use them for blind baking 😁

EkwaNimitee Thu 20-Apr-23 10:27:01

It sounds a bit boring, surely someone could have come up with something better? I won’t be making it, that Cheddar, or any hard cheese would give me a migraine. On the other hand, greydusters sounds delicious and I shall give it a try. I’ve never thought of using smoked salmon instead of fresh. Btw…managed to buy the first British asparagus of the season yesterday. Lovely thick spears!