Gransnet forums

Food

Some thoughts on my new Air Fryer

(82 Posts)
Floradora9 Mon 24-Apr-23 21:40:22

I have been wondering for ages if I sould buy an air fryer taking into consideration there are only two of us to cook for and I already own lots of ways of cooking e.g. slow cookers , microwave dual cooker microwave . I saw an and for quite a small one at a reasonable price ( not the £200 my DD paid ) and am really pleased with it . There is nothing to be worried about using it as it only air frys nothing else. I am loving the range of veggies I have done and fish and sausages . I am sorry that I did not buy a larger one but I was pushed for space . Is it going to save money ? Well it will take some time to do that but it saves time not needing to be preheated most of the time . I have a load of things I still want to try so it has rekindled my love of cooking so I would say go for it if you fancy one.

Wizzelina Sun 30-Apr-23 07:59:52

We have a Tower that we bought when on offer from Amazon for under £50! We really only use it for making chips as DH does all the cooking and likes to use the ovens and hob! Makes brilliant chips with no oil which are obviously a healthy option. We sent one to DD who uses it a lot - it was brilliant when we stayed over with them as they only have one smallish oven that doesn’t cook very well. Have just bought a third for our static as the gas oven takes ages to cook. Really must investigate what else it will do and then might upgrade. Luckily have loads of cupboard storage so it lives in there!

Doodledog Sun 30-Apr-23 12:24:29

M0nica

Doodledog I have got a number of small pottery dishes that fit neatly into my round air-fryer. They are sufficiently large to hold two good size portions of food, and as there are only two of us in the household.

None of them were bought specially. They were all pots that I already used regularly to cook meals for the two of us.

None of mine (other than tapas ones) would fit in mine. I have the smallest Pyrex one (half a litre?), and that fits, but the handles mean that there is not space to get it in and out easily without spilling the contents. It's not big enough for two decent portions anyway - I think it was meant for serving side vegetables.

That's the main thing that puts me off the Ninja. The machine is large, but the style means that you have to reach down into the pot to get things in and out, which is tricky when it's hot, as it's deep. I have numerous racks, so that you can cook more than one thing at a time, but they are faffy, as they are collapsable and tend to collapse grin. It's great for chips, or things that would otherwise be fried, as you just need to shake the pot to cook evenly, instead of rotating the height of the shelves, as you do in the other one, but things like yorkshires are much easier in the shelf one (mine's a Tower 5 in 1), as a 4 hole tray fits in perfectly and they cook really well.

It really does just come down to preference though. There's no 'best' one, which is why anyone considering one should think about what they will use it for most.

62dg Sun 30-Apr-23 18:59:11

Thank you for that tip re the eggs in the airfryer, I am always looking for ways to get my eggs ✅ done. Thank you

Grantanow Mon 12-Jun-23 14:56:46

Air fryer definitely saves using the main oven for quite a few meals and so saves money. Also good for heating croissants, roasting asparagus, sweet potato chips, meat pies, veg pies, breaded fish, breaded whitebait etc.

RosesandLilac Mon 12-Jun-23 15:25:45

Grantanow

Air fryer definitely saves using the main oven for quite a few meals and so saves money. Also good for heating croissants, roasting asparagus, sweet potato chips, meat pies, veg pies, breaded fish, breaded whitebait etc.

I use my cheap one from Amazon more than my cooker nowadays, so quick and easy

LadyGracie Mon 12-Jun-23 15:39:28

I don't like my Air Fryer at all.