Gransnet forums

Food

The best / your favourite non-dairy milk šŸ„›

(102 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 27-Apr-23 05:09:13

Hello

Iā€™d really like to cut down on cowā€™s milk.
I hardly drink any as it is, but always have some in the fridge.

What are your favourites?

Itā€™s just to go in tea and coffee, and also to make porridge with.
I can envisage that itā€™s most tricky to find one that tastes good in teaā€¦

Advice please!
Thank you šŸ˜Š

Tinlizzy67 Sun 14-May-23 13:11:52

Lizzyppopbottle. The Poster emphasised Non dairy!

Tinlizzy67 Sun 14-May-23 12:29:33

Lidl Lactose-free skimmed Ā£1.09, (in chiller section). Lidl Oat milk unsweetened, tasty in coffee 89p.

watermeadow Mon 08-May-23 18:48:39

Oat milk, unsweetened. Delicious and good for any cooking. If the recipe says milk you can use oat milk.
And no cows or their calves were harmed in making it.

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-May-23 10:48:42

As a child I had it made with milk. I make it many ways - I'm not a porridge purist.

And yes, I'm happy with your "wallpaper paste". šŸ‘

I've made it with oat milk, soya, rice, almond etc (not hazelnut milk nor coconut).
Oat milk and comes out like making it with water having pre-soaked the oats.

I also like porridge with nuts and dried fruits cooked in it (not banana or chocolate) - and it's nice savory too - with a good dollop of miso!

Casdon Tue 02-May-23 10:40:17

NotSpaghetti

Milk is unnecessary in porridge oats. Water works perfectly.

Just saying.

To me it tastes horrible with water, I donā€™t like eating wallpaper paste, but if youā€™re happy with that!

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-May-23 10:38:07

Milk is unnecessary in porridge oats. Water works perfectly.

Just saying.

Whiff Tue 02-May-23 05:01:44

Coconut milk either Aldi or Sainsbury's own. Makes the best porridge in the microwave. Tastes good in tea as it doesn't taste of coconut and isn't sweet.

I ran out of milk an unheard of event so made my porridge using my usual 50g dry oats and 22g of low cal instant hot chocolate powder and water cooked in the microwave it was lovely . Made it other times if I fancy low cal chocolate pud. Tastes good cold.

vegansrock Tue 02-May-23 04:45:12

Alpro Hazelnut milk is a nice drink on its own and nice on cereal too.

vegansrock Tue 02-May-23 04:41:55

Cymres1 If you look at the labels they donā€™t say ā€œmilkā€ they say ā€œoat drinkā€ or whatever - itā€™s just that everyone knows they are milk-like and calls them milk. I like Oatly Barista ( cheapest in Lidl) for coffee which I whisk up with a milk frother. I like unsweetened almond from Aldi to make porridge. Aldiā€™s organic oatmeal is the best too.

FannyCornforth Tue 02-May-23 03:15:31

Cymres1

I am probably going to irritate some people but I just can't bring myself to call these fluids MILK. Milk comes from MAMMALS for the most part, probably other creatures as well. Why not call it what it is. I am fortunate not to be food intolerant but I am labelling intolerant. And don't get me started on air fresheners..... but that's another story !

Mammals are the only creatures that lactate. Itā€™s one of the defining characteristics of the group.
You say ā€˜call it what it isā€™ - what is it then?
ā€˜Plant based milk alternativeā€™, I supposeā€¦

Thanks all. Iā€™m going to start with Oatly and avoid almond milk

twiglet77 Mon 01-May-23 23:43:14

The massive Californian almond industry is hideously damaging for bees, catastrophic in terms of water, and like most aspects of American agriculture, I will not support it.

Iā€™ve no problem with dairy products but I also buy the organic Oatly cartons (or occasionally soak and squeeze organic oats).

Barleysugar Mon 01-May-23 23:42:50

Another vote for Oatly Barista Milk - especially the Vanilla version.

Callistemon21 Mon 01-May-23 23:02:11

Oat milk, not moat milk which would be disgusting šŸ˜

Callistemon21 Mon 01-May-23 23:01:34

I can't drink moat milk in tea but it would be fine for making porridge, I think.

Almond milk? My DD like Califia Farms unsweetened.

svtoen Mon 01-May-23 22:50:45

Oatly barista. Itā€™s the one that finally allowed me to go fully vegan. As someone has already mentioned oat milk is ethically sound as well. Iā€™m afraid the yogurt alternatives are disappointing but they do have live cultures so you neednā€™t miss out on those.

Welshy Mon 01-May-23 21:36:58

@ dogsmother my mother never had her tea any other way. Marvel (dried milk) for her too.

Welshy Mon 01-May-23 21:17:22

Oat milk, no sugars.

Yum on cereals and in coffee.

Skye17 Mon 01-May-23 20:59:10

I like Alpro organic unsweetened soya milk, and Grace coconut milk (the cartons not the tins) in coffee.

Hetty58 Mon 01-May-23 20:48:32

I like the 'creamy' Oatly Barista in coffee, soya milk in tea - and coconut milk to drink. I'm vegan and lactose intolerant anyway. My family like them too - having been put off dairy by the thought of 'allowable pus content'.

AreWeThereYet Mon 01-May-23 20:28:15

We use Koko coconut milk and Rude Health Almond Milk. I haven't found an oat milk/hemp/rice milk I like. We usually milk the two as I find the taste of the almond milk a bit strong.

LRavenscroft Mon 01-May-23 19:55:39

I would like to be able to use alternative milks but they all seem to make me feel sick.

HiPpyChick57 Mon 01-May-23 19:06:56

Cymres1

I am probably going to irritate some people but I just can't bring myself to call these fluids MILK. Milk comes from MAMMALS for the most part, probably other creatures as well. Why not call it what it is. I am fortunate not to be food intolerant but I am labelling intolerant. And don't get me started on air fresheners..... but that's another story !

Probably because itā€™s just easier to call it milk because it resembles milk. White liquid would take up a lot of room written down on a shopping list and itā€™s quite a mouthful to say.

rascal Mon 01-May-23 18:59:28

I've got to be lactose free and I don't like milk alternatives but I find Arla Lactofree used instead of milk acceptable.

Cymres1 Mon 01-May-23 18:52:50

Spiritual Mon 01-May-23 18:18:49

I can't stand most but I love Oatly's Barista milk even better than real milk. It is delicious in tea and coffee.