Gransnet forums

Food

Cooking for the coronation

(37 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-May-23 11:05:26

Staunch Republican here, so I’m only making a quiche, Victoria sponge and coronation chicken 😄

TillyTrotter Mon 08-May-23 19:44:49

It’s a masterpiece, well done.
We cheated and had a Krispy Kreme doughnut each with purple icing on top and a gold edible mini crown!

foxie48 Mon 08-May-23 17:09:51

TillyTrotter

That looks great foxie - is it sponge inside?

Yes, bottom layer with lemon buttercream, crown had a layers of chocolate and coffee buttercream. I used homemade strawberry conserve as a glue, which worked really well. OH is the cake maker in our house so I was really worried about how it would turn out but it was absolutely delicious and was very pleased and relieved!

rubysong Mon 08-May-23 15:49:01

I got coronation chicken and trifle all ready for today's village hall picnic, then the fluey, sore throat and cough kicked in so I have been in bed all day. I shall get up soon and eat some of it.

Callistemon21 Mon 08-May-23 15:33:23

The coronation chicken seemed to go own a treat 🙂
No sultanas or almonds in the one I made, though

M0nica Mon 08-May-23 15:31:40

Friends of ours made the 'official' quiche and said it was very nice indeed.

TillyTrotter Sat 06-May-23 20:01:13

That looks great foxie - is it sponge inside?

foxie48 Sat 06-May-23 19:43:54

I haven't watched any of it but have been invited to a local tea party tomorrow afternoon so I have made a cake.

Callistemon21 Sat 06-May-23 19:00:33

I've poached the chicken and made the Coronation sauce and tested it.

Think I should have added the curry powder bit by bit ...... 😲

MrsKen33 Sat 06-May-23 18:29:29

I was a bit dubious about the Coronation quiche, but did make one at DDs request. I was gratified at the complements and it tastes very good. Will make again .

cornergran Fri 05-May-23 22:51:39

No special preparation here. Mr C and I will watch on tv, have a light lunch and pasta for tea. Didn’t occur to me to do anything special. Oh dear,

Callistemon21 Fri 05-May-23 22:20:58

Whitewavemark2

Staunch Republican here, so I’m only making a quiche, Victoria sponge and coronation chicken 😄

I haven't made anything 😲
Should have made a quiche from a lovely recipe I saw on here (not a broad bean in sight) but I didn't.

What time is lunch, please?

lixy Fri 05-May-23 22:00:39

Welsh lamb chops requested by my mum. I'll see if I can find some Jersey Royal potatoes to go with them!

Tea will be the usual soup and a sandwich, maybe with a jelly as it's a special day.

M0nica Fri 05-May-23 21:22:29

I have done all the cooking for tomorrow. Coronation chicken and the accompanying rice is cooked assembled and in the fridge, ditto the trifle. Scones have been mixed, cut out and frozen uncooked and I will just take out two each tomorrow and cook when we need them - in the air fryer, of course.

All I will need to do is make the round of sandwiches to go with our afternoon tea. The cakes have been bought in.

Maggiemaybe Fri 05-May-23 17:56:06

I’m quite surprised at how well my Coronation quiches have turned out, both the conventional one and the gluten and dairy free version. I grumbled a bit about about the faffy pastry prep, but yes, they’re looking good, if I say it myself. Fingers crossed they taste it as well.

Off for a walk to our local B & M now to see if they have any suitable cake decorations left and to grab some little prizes for the grandsons’ games tomorrow. Last minute, me? grin

kittylester Fri 05-May-23 17:50:56

I've ordered a picnic from a local cafe. There will only be dh and I.

gulligranny Fri 05-May-23 17:32:43

There will be six of us, we're starting with Bucks Fizz and Mary Berry's Herby Cheese Toasts plus crisps to nibble on during the ceremony, then we are lunching on Chicken A La King (bit of a change from Coronation Chicken) plus a shortbread-based open fruit tart, I'll do the raspberries and blueberries in the Union flag pattern.

Got a pack of gold paper crowns too, not wearing one is not an option!

On Sunday our local village hall is hosting an afternoon tea and on Monday there's a street party.

Would like to say that a Coronation is an unmissable once-in-a-lifetime event, but this is our second ...

MerylStreep Fri 05-May-23 17:28:18

We are having a street ( close) party. We have permission to shut the close off tomorrow morning.
That’s when we’ll all muck in with bunting and tables. If it’s anything like the last 2 there will be mounds of food.

Redhead56 Fri 05-May-23 17:25:25

My tum is rumbling just reading this no cooking for me. We have been invited to a special dinner.

MrsKen33 Fri 05-May-23 17:18:59

Just made the Coronation quiche. Looks good and smells good. Also a large trifle. Can’t wait for that.

Siope Fri 05-May-23 16:54:32

I’m going to a Congressa da Sopa. €5, all the freshly made soup I can eat, rolls made with locally ground flour, and nary a peep about the coronation.

Bizziebe Fri 05-May-23 16:39:24

Foxygloves

Oh I also have a Coronation Colin Caterpillar for the little ones on Sunday!

I've got a couple of Colin's babies in the cake tin ready for the young ones.

LRavenscroft Fri 05-May-23 16:32:25

Coronation chicken and Victoria sponge washed down with some lovely elderflower sparkling drink.

SueDonim Fri 05-May-23 16:20:04

I had my staff provide food for tomorrow. My chefs are Mr Marks and Mr Spencer. Their food is in my fridge and I’ve given them tomorrow off. grin

I’ve just used it as an excuse for a bit of a gathering, to be honest, though we will be watching. There must be plenty of parties going on locally as you can’t buy a piece of coronation flimflam anywhere! We’ll be using Easter napkins with rabbits on them.

TillyTrotter Fri 05-May-23 15:42:26

There is Shelflife. 😃
We’re starting early and TV will be on from 9 am.
Caterpillar cake is great Foxy

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 05-May-23 13:52:39

Just the two of us - we’ll watch the ceremony but I’m not preparing any special food.