Gransnet forums

Food

Recipe invention?

(46 Posts)
Foxygloves Fri 19-May-23 10:35:29

Do you ever “invent” a recipe or recipe variation by accident?
(Spoiler alert - me neither)

I like to sprinkle a little cinnamon on my porridge in the morning , reached for it, sprinkled and eurghhh🤢!
Cumin seeds!
Picked off what I could as I was not prepared to throw it away and make another bowl, but sadly……this will never feature on Nigella or even Jamie.
But seriously..have you ever found an accidental ingredient is an improvement?

cc Fri 26-May-23 11:46:58

henetha

I don't think I really invented it, but I was delighted when one day I added some veg to pasta in cheese sauce. Nowadays there is always more veg than pasta and it's lovely.

If I'm dieting I mix runner beans or broccoli with my pasta for bolognese. Great saving in calories and my husband (a real veg hater) can have just pasta.

Durga Fri 26-May-23 12:47:09

That sounds really good. I do it with aubergine

Gundy Fri 26-May-23 13:26:12

The best cooks/chefs are inventive and experimental. But you must understand a little of food chemistry in order to make correct substitutions, measurements, liquids vs dry ingredients.

I always think I’m a “kitchen magician”… it could be as easy as throwing whatever is a available together or purposefully creating the masterpiece. You come out with either a winning combination (make sure you write it down to repeat!) or a complete colossal failure. What a waste 😢

But it’s fun to learn.
USA Gundy

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 26-May-23 13:35:25

I Decided to try substituting oat flakes and oatmeal for flour adding dark brown soft sugar for a fruit crumble, the result is an outstanding success, full or flavour and fibre!
My daughter suggested I roast florets of cauliflower instead of chips which proves a good idea for those trying to lose weight.
I was trying to make ginger biscuits, but ran out of ginger, so I threw in a teaspoon of mixed spice, it was really nice!

11unicorn Fri 26-May-23 14:02:28

I put some sun dried tomatoes (cut very very small) to my cheese scones - adds a little bit of moisture from the oil it's in. Tasty

Norah Fri 26-May-23 14:03:36

Gwenisgreat1 I roast florets of cauliflower instead of chips which proves a good idea for those trying to lose weight.

I do same with cauliflower, thin aubergine or courgette slices, kale, etc. I suspect I've seen on internet. I've never any 'new' ideas.

Purpledaffodil Fri 26-May-23 14:20:40

Was going to do spag Bol yesterday but then realised I had cooked new potatoes to use up. Result was cottage pie with crushed potato topping and sprinkled with grated cheese. 20 minutes in air fryer and the result was crispy and delicious. Hate wasting food!

V3ra Fri 26-May-23 14:44:49

My brother used to throw all sorts in the pot, which my Mum found unsettling.
When she asked what we were having he'd reply, "Does it have to have a name?"
So that's what we called a random mix of ingredients 😋

My husband's taken over a lot of our cooking in the last couple of years, but he struggles to think outside the box.
I keep telling him a recipe is often just a starting point, not set in stone, and it's ok to adapt it.

jocork Fri 26-May-23 15:37:15

It was tradition where I worked to bring in cakes on your birthday so I decided to make fruity flapjack. I needed quite a big batch to provide for everyone so I weighed the oats in batches. At school everyone was very complimentary with one colleague describing the flapjack as "to die for". Imagine my surprise when I got home and found the last batch of oats still in the weighing scale! The result was much more gooey and sticky than usual but yes - "to die for"!

Jaxie Fri 26-May-23 19:42:35

Dogsmother, What is fireball?

Norah Fri 26-May-23 20:14:25

Baked apples using fireball - delicious.

We didn't invent, it's an internet recipe.

Callistemon21 Fri 26-May-23 20:46:05

Jaxie

I don't know, but it doesn't sound very appetising! 😲

Norah Fri 26-May-23 20:58:34

Callistemon21

Jaxie

I don't know, but it doesn't sound very appetising! 😲

amazon.co.uk/Fireball-Cinnamon-Whisky-Liqueur-70/dp/B004CYZ7ZI

Callistemon21 Fri 26-May-23 21:18:28

Oh, thanks!
I imagine a ball of Carolina Reaper or Scotch Bonnet inside a cake or baked apple 😁 🌶

Norah Fri 26-May-23 21:42:14

It's spicy cinnamon - Canadian Whiskey.

We bring carry in from holiday.

Gundy Sat 27-May-23 01:27:41

I’m so glad I came back to read this thread. I completely forgot about ‼️Fireball‼️ (which I knew about ) - I have wanted to buy it and incorporate in a couple of dessert recipes.
Thanks for the reminder!

Suzique Sat 27-May-23 09:01:56

So do I !

hazel93 Sat 27-May-23 11:43:08

Made a large fruit cake on Thursday , bunged it in oven , back out to the garden. Total senior moment and took it out far too early, I was tying in sweet peas so didn't bother to check if it was cooked through just assumed. Big mistake !!
That said it is extremely moreish , part cake, part pud. Who'd have thought ??

M0nica Sun 28-May-23 10:00:33

When I was a child hazel93 One of my aunts did what you did, my DS and I loved what we calle 'Auntie P's raw fruit cake' and demanded that she make it like that everytime we visited.

hazel93 Sun 28-May-23 13:00:26

Well, that's good to know ! I don't blame you, it is surprisingly yummy !