Gransnet forums

Food

Pre-Christmas party meal.

(60 Posts)
Pigma Mon 02-Oct-23 18:29:39

I am hosting our family pre-Christmas get-together in early December. It will consist of a sit-down meal for 10 and I generally do a couple of casseroles, Dauphinois/jacket potatoes and rice, a choice of puddings and a cheeseboard. I’m looking for suggestions, please, for the main course casseroles, having exhausted most of my recipes. I need a beef and a chicken recipe, preferably that can be made and frozen ahead of time then reheated, finished off and kept warm in slow-cookers. Something more ‘special’ than, say, Shepherd’s Pie or lasagne but nothing too hot or spicy as we have a variety of tastes and ages. Boeuf Bourguignonne has been done but that sort of thing would be ideal. I’d be really grateful for any help you can offer. Thanks for your help.

teabagwoman Fri 06-Oct-23 06:24:15

Crème Fraiche!

Esmay Fri 06-Oct-23 08:24:29

Ive lost count how many times I've served this .
Here's my cheat dessert :
Some nice fresh fruit ie strawberries and raspberries .
Wash your chosen fruit and cover with a squeeze of lemon and some castor sugar and refrigerate .
Whip up some whipping cream .
Open a thawed Victoria Sponge from the freezer cabinet in Iceland .
Split open .
Arrange the fruit on top of the whipped cream .
Hide the packet !
Serve .
I've also made this with drained , tinned apricots marinaded in some brandy and sugar .
One of my friends made it with sliced bananas drizzled with chocolate over the cream .
The possibilities are endless ...

Pigma Fri 06-Oct-23 10:01:25

Some fantastic ideas, thank you all so, so much. I was in a real panic but it’s all taking shape in my head now. I’ll have a few practice sessions of your suggestions and then make a final decision which might be hard as they all sound delicious! Some lovely ideas for side dishes and pudding too.

teabagwoman Sun 08-Oct-23 07:16:34

I like your style Esmay, that one’s going in my folder.

Esmay Sun 08-Oct-23 08:39:01

teabagwoman - you are more than welcome !
Pigma - I would have some trial runs -just to see if it works out and is to your taste .

1summer Fri 13-Oct-23 15:20:13

teabagwoman

You mentioned deserts Pigma, I find Nigella Lawson’s Clementine cake useful. It’s dairy free, can be gluten free and tastes delicious. What’s more leftovers can be enjoyed with a coffee later. I’m going to try and add a link, haven’t done it before so here’s hoping. It also tastes better if made in advance and will take gentle reheating.. I serve it with crème Frau he and a substitute for dairy free friends.

www.nigella.com/recipes/clementine-cake

I have made this cake a few times, very Christmassy, easy to make and virtually foolproof. Delicious

Callistemon21 Fri 13-Oct-23 15:23:06

teabagwoman

You mentioned deserts Pigma, I find Nigella Lawson’s Clementine cake useful. It’s dairy free, can be gluten free and tastes delicious. What’s more leftovers can be enjoyed with a coffee later. I’m going to try and add a link, haven’t done it before so here’s hoping. It also tastes better if made in advance and will take gentle reheating.. I serve it with crème Frau he and a substitute for dairy free friends.

www.nigella.com/recipes/clementine-cake

👍

I'll save that recipe, thank you teabagwoman.

Callistemon21 Fri 13-Oct-23 15:28:24

Looking at the recipe, I think that is one that DD makes which she said is always successful.
I've yet to taste it so I'll buy the ingredients and hand over the kitchen to her when she comes 😃

Pigma Fri 13-Oct-23 17:45:15

Oh, lovely, thank you. I’ve got all the ingredients in and will have a practice run over the weekend. Tried Mary Berry’s Minted Lamb but was very underwhelmed. A practice tagine is next on the cards and will have a go at Chicken Divan. I am also, for the novelty value, going to have a go at Good Housekeeping’s version of F/Rocher chocolates.