Gransnet forums

Food

Christmas lunch alone, what food would you choose?

(159 Posts)
shysal Wed 22-Nov-23 09:50:55

I have chosen to have my Christmas dinner on my own, and will see family at some point. Thinking of my favourite food, which is cheese, I have decided on a baked Camembert with home-made baguette plus a Pavlova dessert. It will be so simple to prepare and I shall enjoy it!
If you were (or are) eating alone, what would be your choice?

Vintagenonna Wed 22-Nov-23 10:00:29

What an interesting question, shysal.

Thank you.

I think I would like to have a beef wellington (from an upmarket butcher nearby) to put into the oven ready prepared, some leeks from my own garden cooked with a bit of butter and some sage and no pud.

Plus a glass of well chilled guinness zero alcohol.

Cheers.

shysal Wed 22-Nov-23 10:03:45

Beef Wellington would be my second choice!

henetha Wed 22-Nov-23 10:07:33

I have only once spent Christmas day alone, - my own stubborn choice which I regretted, - and I did cook a full roast.
If this happens again I think I might just have egg and chips.

Knittynatter Wed 22-Nov-23 10:07:35

Shysal, your choice sounds perfect! I suspect I will be on my own this year due to other family commitments, and I will be very tempted to steal your ideas - I hope you don’t mind!

Vintagenonna Wed 22-Nov-23 10:08:01

That is a coincidence!

growstuff Wed 22-Nov-23 10:12:26

I spent Christmas Day on my own every other year for nearly 20 years. I always chose something which required (almost) no cooking, which was often a Waitrose or M&S ready meal.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 22-Nov-23 10:17:22

I would still cook a full Christmas lunch if it was just me. I really enjoy it, plus there are cold cuts on Boxing Day. The following day I make a Turkey and vegetable curry, portion up and freeze.

Joseann Wed 22-Nov-23 10:27:41

I like your menu shysal.
Me, those smoked salmon parcels with soft cheese to start, then salmon (again!) en croute with a selection of vegetables, followed by trifle.
And plenty of wine.

annsixty Wed 22-Nov-23 10:30:08

For me it would be a fillet steak with shop bought dauphinois potatoes and microwave veg or a duck breast with the same veg.
I never have a starter or a pud.

annsixty Wed 22-Nov-23 10:31:07

Oh, I forgot the wine and the G&T to start.

nanna8 Wed 22-Nov-23 10:32:59

Lobster I think, with a cheese sauce and fresh salad followed by traditional brandy laden Christmas pud and custard. Washed down with a Pinot Grigio. Then a fresh ground coffee with a couple of those chocolate Lindt balls.

RosiesMaw Wed 22-Nov-23 10:38:49

First Christmas of the pandemic I was “bubbled” with D 1 and family so my Christmas en famille was assured.
Only GS1 tested positive 6 days before Christmas so that was that.
We were not permitted to leave our tiers as I remember or drive any distance so the other 2 D’s in London and their little ones were out of the equation too .
Misery. And I admit I cried.
The only consolation was that I didn’t have to leave my lovely Hattie in kennels and we could hunker down with Netflix.
But actually being on my own was somehow made worse by my very kind neighbour sending her husband round with a tray of a ginormous plated meal, pud and a glass of champagne!
So to answer the question, I would have all the things I like best - and NOT a turkey dinner!
Steak, perhaps or lobster, certainly smoked salmon and about three creme brûlées! Loads of cheese, nibbles and canapés and all of it by the fire while feeding titbits to the dog.
Sounds quite bearable now!

mumofmadboys Wed 22-Nov-23 10:54:59

I would climb a mountain in the Lakes and have a picnic. Then home for a soak in a hot bath with a glass of white wine.

Calendargirl Wed 22-Nov-23 11:01:01

Several Christmases ago, all the family except me went down with a bug, DH included.

The fresh (fortunately) turkey was put in the freezer. (We only knew on Christmas morning that everyone was ill and couldn’t eat anything).

With DH in bed, drinking nothing stronger than Lucozade, my Christmas meal was bacon and eggs.

I really enjoyed it! Didn’t miss all the Christmas faff at all, but sorry the others were poorly, of course.

Ailidh Wed 22-Nov-23 11:02:35

I had a few solo Christmases before I moved to the retirement flat, where Christmas lunch was communal - that brought it's own angsts!

I always made our traditionally family lunch, downscaled for one, it made me feel connected somehow. "Still making the effort, I suppose" in a way that lunch with relative strangers last year didn't.

However, I love shysal's menu - I think I'll plan that in for myself over the festive period!!

Davida1968 Wed 22-Nov-23 11:03:05

I would be totally hedonistic and buy a good quality ready-prepared Christmas meal. (Main course only.) Then have some lovely "extras" for the day, such as chocs of my choice and other sweet treats. Oh, and some nice local cheeses!

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Nov-23 11:04:27

I would have something which didn’t require cooking or washing up. An Indian takeaway would be nice, bought the previous day and reheated (they’re always tastier next day!).

JackyB Wed 22-Nov-23 11:38:00

As much as I love a full roast dinner, a single lamb chop with some beans and maybe some mashed potatoes would be my meal of choice if I was on my own and wanted to push the boat out. But quite honestly, a boiled egg and a slice of toast would be enough.

midgey Wed 22-Nov-23 11:52:47

I would have a picnic at the seaside with my dog!

nadateturbe Wed 22-Nov-23 11:56:06

pizza and tiramasu. plus chocolates and wine of course.

MrsKen33 Wed 22-Nov-23 12:16:48

Lamb with mint sauce and roasted vegetables. Crème brûlée for pudding, plus ‘After Eights ‘

Grannybags Wed 22-Nov-23 13:12:17

Mature Cheddar cheese sandwich and a mug of strong Yorkshire tea for me!

Cabbie21 Wed 22-Nov-23 13:26:37

Either an M & S turkey dinner for one or more probably, a good quality chicken to roast, as I enjoy it cold or stir fried afterwards. I would freeze some for later meals.
Veg would be carrots and broccoli.

Charleygirl5 Wed 22-Nov-23 13:40:58

I have spent at least 8 Christmases on my own and love it. I buy an upmarket selection of cooked fish from Waitrose, supplied specially for Christmas and I have that with fresh bread and dry white wine. I never have starters or desserts and I eat that watching Coronation Street. There is enough for the next evening so no cooking or faff.

M&S was selling similar for around £80 whereas I found it for nearer £20.

If I cannot find that I will have leg of duck with trimmings cooked in my air fryer.