Gransnet forums

Food

Fox’s Chocolate biscuits tin 365 g. Really disappointed.

(49 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Sat 30-Dec-23 20:53:05

Just opened the tin costing £7.50. couldn’t believe how the packaging was arranged. The central part was just plastic representing where biscuits should have been placed. My dh thought there must be another layer but of course there wasn’t
One section only contained one biscuit as that section was raised more than others. Anyone else been disappointed in a product? Enclosed photo. Hope you can see it

Greyisnotmycolour Sat 30-Dec-23 23:08:53

I can see why you were disappointed. It looks like there were 20 biscuits, so that's 37.5p each, definitely a brand to avoid in future.

ElaineI Sat 30-Dec-23 23:48:10

I think it's the same with most tins, packets and also chocolates - gone up in price and less in packets. Some things I have stopped buying however DH not happy with some own brand things! I am though. It is not environmentally friendly to substitute biscuits with more plastic though I would have thought! I have gained a bit with my online grocery shop with Tesco recently as have had several substitutes of larger items and better quality things for the price of the cheaper item.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 30-Dec-23 23:57:25

Thank you for your responses. I must admit I couldn’t believe the blatant distribution of biscuits substituted by plastic. I know manufacturers are cutting costs and amounts of products but usually by providing smaller containers so not actually hitting you in full face!!!!! Why not a smaller tin? At least you could be prepared for the short fall. ☹️

Lovetopaint037 Sun 31-Dec-23 00:03:28

Ps I’m not blaming Sainsbury’s from whom I bought them. They are usually very fair ( like your experience Elainel with Tescos). However, Fox’s have now lost a customer as I understand market forces but hate believing I have been conned.

OldFrill Sun 31-Dec-23 00:14:20

Shrinkflation strikes again. Shall avoid these

BlueBelle Sun 31-Dec-23 03:05:19

Why don’t you complain to Fox s I think that’s awful how many biscuits would you have normally expect to see in their I never buy them so wouldn’t know

Mollygo Sun 31-Dec-23 03:48:07

We had a box-which cost less, and had much the same layout as you showed, but again, the use of plastic as biscuit substitute was shameful.
Not quite as bad as the box of Lily O’Brien’s chocolates I received, which upset the giver when I open ended them to share and she saw the vast expanse of plastic compared with the member of chocolates.
It’s a scam!

M0nica Sun 31-Dec-23 04:02:26

Yes, a friend gave me a box of Aldi short bread last Christmas. They were packaged to look like Walkers shortbread. the Aldi logo, so small it was almost invisible - and when I opened the box, it looked just like the Fox's biscuit selection illustrated. It had less than half the number of biscuits I would have expected from the size of the box.

To add injury to insult, they also tasted revolting. I put them out for the birds and they wouldn't eat them either.

karmalady Sun 31-Dec-23 05:59:05

It was similar with a mushroom wellington from cookfood. It was very short compared to the outer cover and tin, most was greasy pastry with a very thin layer of filling.Very disappointed and I will not be going to cookfood again.

I think we should be naming and shaming, I am taking note of these posts

NotAGran55 Sun 31-Dec-23 07:03:11

With fancy packaging of items it’s important to read the price of the product per 100g.
This tin contains less than a large packet of digestive biscuits for £7.50. Buyer beware for sure.
Supermarket own brands of similar selections are considerably cheaper.

Calendargirl Sun 31-Dec-23 07:13:59

And what does everyone do with the empty tin?

Years ago, they were kept to store baking in. Are they just put in the recycling bin nowadays?

You may as well buy biscuits in a cardboard container, as you are paying for the tin.

Mizuna Sun 31-Dec-23 07:22:28

What a con Locetopaint plus all that wasteful plastic! I bought my son a gift pack of three ales for £10 and from the tall packaging I assumed they were normal beer cans. When he opened it they were the small cans like fizzy drinks. Ridiculous.

Mizuna Sun 31-Dec-23 07:23:21

Sorry about the c in your name. 😁

JustinJames Sun 31-Dec-23 08:42:23

It seems like you got a pretty disappointing packaging with just a single biscuit in one section. It's always disappointing when the presentation doesn't match expectations, especially for a £7.50 tin. Have you contacted the company about it?

Lovetopaint037 Sun 31-Dec-23 08:59:04

Yes JustinJames, my first thought was to complain to the company but then thought Gransnet would give me some kind of a perspective before I did although I expected either to be ignored or to be told that the weight was displayed on the tin. I am going to complain to them just to see what the result is.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 31-Dec-23 09:06:00

Thank you everyone for all your replies. It seems that this scam is wide spread. Our local Co-Op had a special offer just before Christmas on my favourite Chocolate Bahlsen biscuits. They were £1.25 instead of £2. I bought 7 packets as once opened they disappear in a trice. No more tins for me.

Mollygo Sun 31-Dec-23 09:53:52

Re the Lily O’Brien chocolates. This is the layout. According to their sales page you get 24 chocolates for £12.
I’d rather they stopped wasting so much plastic and packing.

25Avalon Sun 31-Dec-23 10:00:38

I paid £5 for my tin of Foxes chocolate biscuits on offer a couple of months ago - it may have been Sainsbury’s. I haven’t opened it yet. I certainly wouldn’t pay £7.50

toscalily Sun 31-Dec-23 10:39:32

I bought a box of Foxes biscuits on special offer in December, only £3.99 for 550g. Although we know that the value to rate ratio is not usually so good I think we tend to go for that option for a gift or special occasion but I think your tin is a definite rip off Lovetopaint037. I think it it is worth an email to the company to complain. I have been given a large box of Lily O'Brians chocolates, not opened yet but If they are like the one above I too will complain.

toscalily Sun 31-Dec-23 10:40:58

Sorry that was supposed to read " value to weight ratio" auto correct, not corrected blush

Lovetopaint037 Sun 31-Dec-23 11:54:55

I have just emailed the company with my complaint. Apparently they are not open until the 4th Jan.
toscalily please don’t tell me your £3.99 ones were the extra chocolate ones. Avolon. You did really well. I saw no such offer on my online Sainsbury’s web site. When they were delivered my dh remarked that he couldn’t believe the price I paid. Someone said the other day that Sainsbury’s was expensive but I have had my shopping delivered from then since Covid and they were the only shop who delivered because of my age. SoI have remained loyal. PerhapsI bought them too early and then they had an offer. That is a lesson learnt.

MissInterpreted Sun 31-Dec-23 11:55:00

I always reuse biscuit tins/sweetie tubs and so on. It wouldn't occur to me to throw them out.

toscalily Sun 31-Dec-23 13:22:24

Lovetopaint037 It was the cardboard box, assorted plain, dark & milk chocolate not the all chocolate assortment but quite a reasonable selection and eaten very quickly by my guests.
Be interesting to hear what the company has to say? "we are thinking of the nations health in providing less biscuits " or" we assume all/some of our customers are too drunk/stupid at Christmas to realise they have been totally duped into paying a lot for not very much" smile

Baggs Sun 31-Dec-23 13:31:12

Is it a nice tin?