Gransnet forums

Food

Why doesn’t cheese melt anymore?

(43 Posts)
Sasta Sun 28-Jan-24 12:55:43

When I used to make this for my children’s lunch, a quick French bread pizza, the cheese went gooey and stretchy. I’m still using the same Cathedral city cheese, but it just heats up in blobs and doesn’t actually melt. It’s not low fat cheese. Why is this do you think?

ayse Sun 28-Jan-24 12:59:10

Maybe it’s something to do with the way it’s made? Perhaps it’s been chilled. I love cheese on toast with mature cheddar. I’ll give Aldi cheddar a go and see if the same thing happens.

JaneJudge Sun 28-Jan-24 13:03:50

I find Cathedral city fine tbh. Are you using the full fat version?

Witzend Sun 28-Jan-24 13:04:04

I don’t see this with ours, which is usually Asda Extra Mature.

ayse Sun 28-Jan-24 13:09:17

Well that my Aldi cheese!

NotSpaghetti Sun 28-Jan-24 13:25:09

Is it pre-grated?
That usually has cornflour or something similar in it.

Sasta Sun 28-Jan-24 14:19:55

It’s full fat, I grated it fresh. I’m going to give some of the others a try. I think they’ve changed the recipe for this one. It does make lovely cheese sauce for macaroni though, just not nice grilled or as a topping on something in the oven like a cottage pie or fish pie when it stays in blobs on top.

Oreo Sun 28-Jan-24 14:30:48

I buy cheddar from Tesco, it melts beautifully, but I never grate it and just slice it with a sharp knife.Had it yesterday, toasted a Sheldons bap, sliced in two, buttered and piled with cheese slices then under a hot grill for a few minutes.Perfect.

Scribbles Sun 28-Jan-24 14:37:20

I usually buy Castello Tickler Mature or Extra Mature Cheddar which makes superb cheese on toast or melted-cheese sandwiches.

shysal Sun 28-Jan-24 17:07:11

I usually use Red Leicester for cooking, it melts well and gives a rich colour to sauces. On toast it does, however, leave a puddle of orange grease!

Sasta Sun 28-Jan-24 20:41:04

Thank you for the suggestions, I’m going to go through them all!

Redrobin51 Sun 28-Jan-24 21:04:29

Yes I found something similar with Cathedral and mine was the full fat, freshly grated version. I'm going back to my usual Tesco cheddar that always made lovely cheese on toast.

MiniMoon Sun 28-Jan-24 21:20:52

I like my cheese on toast to have brown toasty bits on top, it never seems to happen these days.
When I was a little girl, I remember my Dad toasting a cube of cheese on a toasting fork bother fire. It didn't melt but charred around the edges and was soft in the middle. It was delicious.

MiniMoon Sun 28-Jan-24 21:21:50

By the fire!

red1 Mon 29-Jan-24 11:42:55

i remember going on a nutrition course and the tutor talked about how the slimy mess of cheese stays like that as it travels through your system, i now do not eat cheese.

nanna8 Mon 29-Jan-24 11:53:00

I think ours still melts ok, haven’t noticed anything different. The Italian cheeses like mozzarella are good melters. What they sell here as cheddar is different I think. Doesn’t taste as nice as yours.

glammagran Mon 29-Jan-24 11:56:04

I agree - cheese doesn’t go brown on top any longer and oozes oil when grilled. I’ve got round this by adding breadcrumbs (always have some in the freezer from homemade bread) at a ratio of about a 1 to 4 of breadcrumbs. I’ve never liked Cathedral City. I buy Waitrose Davidstow mature cheddar which is my favourite.

nannyjoe Mon 29-Jan-24 12:06:11

I use Tickler cheese melts lovely ,but its the best we find.

cc Mon 29-Jan-24 12:10:02

I’ve had problems too when I grated cheddar on top of the children’s pizzas when they were a bit short of topping. I use the block as the grated cheese definitely has some sort of flour coating. I used to love the Cathedral City cheese but find it goes sticky/slimy when I store it now, even if I wrap it in paper. The more traditional cheddars store better I think.

Nannashirlz Mon 29-Jan-24 13:30:02

My advice would be add a little milk to your cheese when I was a chef everyone loved the way I did it and couldn’t never work it out how I did it. But my grandad taught me to add a drop of milk it really does make a big difference. You will get the look you after and it doesn’t affect the taste.

mokryna Mon 29-Jan-24 13:43:52

The cheese I buy cheese from the Fromagerie is good and full of flavour and cooks/ melts beautifully. However, supermarket processed ones even in France, have an emulsifying agent added so as not to separate when melted and have a longer shelf life.

Sasta Mon 29-Jan-24 13:48:27

Good tip thank you Nannashirlz, will try that. You are so right on the storage of Cathedral city cc, it’s definitely going a bit wet soon after opening. Time for a change! I look forward to going through the various ones noted above.

Sardinia2020 Mon 29-Jan-24 14:10:30

Aldi mild cheddar melts and hoes brown.

AreWeThereYet Mon 29-Jan-24 14:18:32

We use Cathedral Extra Mature and find the same thing. I'll have to give some of the others a try. I find that if you wrap it in greaseproof then foil it doesn't get wet or go mouldy.

Gundy Mon 29-Jan-24 16:10:58

I have not noticed this. I suspect a lower fat content cheese may not get gooey? I do know pre-shredded packaged cheeses are tossed in flour or cornstarch (blend) that may prevent the goo factor. Shred your own off a block.