Gransnet forums

Food

Bread Flour recommendations for Sourdough

(7 Posts)
Camilla7 Wed 21-Feb-24 13:30:01

I'm enjoying making Sourdough Sandwich Bread in my Slow Cooker with a mix of Matthews Cotswold Crunch & white bread flour. I'd like to branch out now into other artisanal bread flours (do add 50 g of Einkhorn, Buckwheat or Spelt sometimes).

Do you have any recommendations?

I saw the tail end of Saturday Kitchen at the weekend where they had a flour miller on but missed who it was and they didn't respond to my tweet.

Sago Wed 21-Feb-24 14:42:13

I have been making SD for over 3 years now but I use a traditional oven baked recipe.
I use 1/3 brown flour to 2/3 white, I have tried lots of flours but always go back to Essential Waitrose or Lidl white flour.
The browns I use Dove farm or Cotswold Crunch.

Septimia Wed 21-Feb-24 14:46:17

I get my flour from Mungoswells Mills in the Borders. I order several bags at a time and keep what I'm not using in the freezer (on a miller's advice).

I also buy bere meal from Orkney (very low in gluten, though; I usually put it in pastry) and peasemeal, which is great for thickening things as you can add it to hot liquid and it doesn't go lumpy.

I'm afraid I haven't got any more exotic than those!

NotSpaghetti Wed 21-Feb-24 16:18:49

Italian Durum Semolina 'Rimacinata' flour makes a lovely yellowy sourdough. Rimacinata meand it's been twice milled - so very fine. Apparently it's sometimes marketed as “extra fancy”. but the ones I've bought don't say that.

If you like the older grains though this is nothing like them.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 21-Feb-24 16:40:31

Tonight at 6.30, BBC1, Rick Stein is visiting a Suffolk bakery which makes artisan sourdough. Might be of interest.

Camilla7 Wed 21-Feb-24 17:04:30

Germanshepherdsmum

Tonight at 6.30, BBC1, Rick Stein is visiting a Suffolk bakery which makes artisan sourdough. Might be of interest.

Thank you, I'll put that on:-)

aggie Wed 21-Feb-24 17:45:25

It’s bbc2 here in Northern Ireland, thank you for mentioning it