Gransnet forums

Food

Recipes that don't work!! Grrrrrr.

(71 Posts)
kittylester Mon 04-Mar-24 18:43:55

I have a habit of tearing recipes out of the paper and trying them out. I always follow them to the letter first time and then adjust as necessary.

We are currently waiting for a piece of belly pork and the vegetables which, according to the recipe from the Sunday Times, should be 'meltingly soft' by now. It isn't.

Do they actually try them out?

lixy Mon 04-Mar-24 19:04:15

Strangely we had pork belly for tea this evening too. I didn't follow a recipe but did my usual Chinese spices and somehow it didn't work as well as usual.

Hope yours is ready soon!

merlotgran Mon 04-Mar-24 19:34:29

I always find the carrots are still rock hard when everything else is cooked so I par boil the blighters!

kittylester Mon 04-Mar-24 19:52:23

Ours was horrid. Threw it and the recipe in the bin.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Mar-24 20:35:01

Oh kitty how disappointing. Awful to buy, prep and anticipate only to be let down. A waste of time, effort and money. Most annoying I expect.

kittylester Mon 04-Mar-24 20:52:09

I know there are much worse things to cope with but it was flipping annoying.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Mar-24 20:54:17

Definitely!

merlotgran Tue 05-Mar-24 00:05:09

kittylester

Ours was horrid. Threw it and the recipe in the bin.

Could you not have thrown it in the slow cooker and turned it into a casserole?

Might have been ready by midnight! 😂

Gin Tue 05-Mar-24 00:18:09

Just a thought. Have you tested the temperature of your oven? I was having disaster after disaster so I bought an oven thermometer and discovered my once reliable oven was registering about 15%C higher than the dial says. It is also much hotter at the back than the front. Time for a new oven but I am surprised, this one is just eight years old.

kittylester Tue 05-Mar-24 07:41:56

It's a new cooker and I have tested the temperature on occasion- it seems to be ok.

This isn't the only time recipes haven't worked and I wonder how thoroughly they are tested.

kittylester Tue 05-Mar-24 08:04:52

And, to add insult to injury it contained 8 sliced garlic cloves and 4 peeled, deseeded tomatoes.

Gwyllt Tue 05-Mar-24 08:21:43

I love my slow cooker and use it for all sorts of things
I thought I would diversify into puddings to save putting the oven on A Christmas pud worked well so with confidence I thought I would try a lemon self saucing pud
I resisted looking as the recipe said.
We had friends round for supper I thought I had timed it right
BUT it flowed out the pan and tasted revolting
We all enjoyed ice cream

JackyB Tue 05-Mar-24 12:31:21

I usually find recipes work, but sometimes the photo doesn't match. For example the recipe says to grate the carrots/courgettes etc but they look much nicer in the photo where they have been cut into julienne strips.

Astitchintime Tue 05-Mar-24 12:42:10

I often wonder if many of the recipes are actually tried and tested to be honest; I have also had disappointing results in the past.
As for the air fryer - I've not tried making a pudding in that yet as I much prefer to batch bake sponges, pies and crumbles in the oven which makes economical sense really.
Perhaps GNetters could share successful recipes??

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Mar-24 12:46:10

Oh! Where's my post?

Was there a misprint with the time, kittylester?

What did you have instead, egg and chips?

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Mar-24 12:49:34

Gwyllt

I love my slow cooker and use it for all sorts of things
I thought I would diversify into puddings to save putting the oven on A Christmas pud worked well so with confidence I thought I would try a lemon self saucing pud
I resisted looking as the recipe said.
We had friends round for supper I thought I had timed it right
BUT it flowed out the pan and tasted revolting
We all enjoyed ice cream

I made a lemon self-saucing pudding on Sunday.
It was very good but I baked it for five minutes longer than the recipe. A Felicity Cloake recipe, I think, but they 're all very similar I've made it from a recipe in an old cookery book before now.

Sorry about yours, * Gwyllt*.

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Mar-24 12:51:53

Oh! I see you used the slow cooker. I baked mine in the oven, 160⁰ fan oven.
Puddings that would be steamed would be fine in the slow cooker, but I'm not sure about baked ones, even though it should sit in water.

Gwyllt Tue 05-Mar-24 13:47:01

Oh they do work in oven. Own fault for trying to be economical

kittylester Tue 05-Mar-24 14:37:47

Callistemon21

Oh! Where's my post?

Was there a misprint with the time, kittylester?

What did you have instead, egg and chips?

Took the foil off, turned the heat up, ate what we could, threw the rest away along with the blinkin' recipe.

Fry up tonight - that never goes wrong.

Cadenza123 Tue 05-Mar-24 14:45:38

Some recipes on the may have 5 stars but don't work out. When you read the reviews they may say something like I halved the sugar and doubled the spice or far too much chilli but still give a high score. I generally scan the reviews if I'm thinking of making something new

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Mar-24 15:49:11

Gwyllt

Oh they do work in oven. Own fault for trying to be economical

I always steam and reheat Christmas puddings in the slow cooker.

Gwyllt Tue 05-Mar-24 16:06:09

Might try the air fryer next
Anyone baked in air fryer and with what success ❓

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Mar-24 16:07:08

No, I haven't got one but I'm thinking of it.

Gwyllt Tue 05-Mar-24 16:19:09

Mine is a cheap and cheerful one from Lidl. The bigger capacity. Was reluctant at the idea but find it really useful. Don’t know if more expensive one are any better or just have more knobs

Sasta Wed 06-Mar-24 11:19:02

😩 I feel your pain kittylester, so frustrating and such a waste. That’s the very reason I never do recipes from the Telegraph, I did two which were just awful, so never again. I found them online when looking for a particulate type of recipe. Silly really as I have dozens of cookbooks.