Gransnet forums

Food

Foreign Cuisines .. Which are your faves to cook at home ?

(27 Posts)
Frenchgalinspain Tue 12-Mar-24 17:47:09

Our faves are classic French, traditional Spanish and Italian Pastas and Risotti ..

Once in awhile, I shall embark on Greek or Thai however, it is not so simple to obtain authentic high quality ingredients.

LOUISA1523 Tue 12-Mar-24 17:49:23

Mexican

62Granny Tue 12-Mar-24 17:55:46

Italian & Thai. But use elements of those flavours in a lot of my cooking.

Frenchgalinspain Tue 12-Mar-24 17:57:41

LOUISA1523

Mexican

Louisa 1523 ..

Do you find it challenging to obtain authentic Mexican ingredients in The U.K. ?

Esmay Tue 12-Mar-24 18:14:40

If I taste a new dish and like it I'll try to make it at home .
It used to be Indian , but if I want spicy I make Thai food because it's much quicker .
Thai soups and prawns are a favourite with me .
Otherwise , I like some Italian dishes , but not just pasta .
Chicken cooked slowly in rosemary is a favourite .
I like French food .
I'm fond of a German dish - sauerkraut with potatoes and frankfurters with mustard .
At the moment , I'm eating a lot of fish with my own caper sauce .
I used to make special journeys to get my ingredients , but now I can get everything that I want a bus ride away .

CanadianGran Tue 12-Mar-24 18:24:04

It seems pasta is now so ubiquitous that it is no longer considered foreign!

I do stir fry quite a bit, so flavours from Chinese cooking. Curry quite often, but very mild, and Mexican quesadillas as well.

I have a few recipes from my MIL who was Canadian but with Croatian parents, and she had some recipes from her German husband who died before we were married.

But I think most of my recipes are toned down spice versions, so maybe not very authentic. I am not at all familiar with Middle Eastern or Thai foods.

MissInterpreted Tue 12-Mar-24 19:41:32

I cook a fairly wide variety of dishes from different countries, but my absolute favourite has to be Turkish.

Marmin Tue 12-Mar-24 19:46:18

As a vegetarian, Greek, Egyptian and middle east flavours and ingredients.

kittylester Tue 12-Mar-24 19:52:25

I love cooking and do lots of modern British, some Italian, some French, some Indian and some Chinese. Not so keen on Middle Eastern.

Most ingredients you could wish for are available here.

Cossy Tue 12-Mar-24 19:58:13

Italian, Thai, Mexican, Indian.

I still love fish & chips and a good traditional roast dinner too.

Norah Tue 12-Mar-24 20:15:08

Thai, Indian, German, Greek, Mexican, Italian.

Anything easy for a vegan diet.

charley68 Tue 12-Mar-24 20:18:38

Italian food is my favourite to cook and eat.

Jaxjacky Tue 12-Mar-24 21:19:28

Indian, but although not foreign, I like exploring traditional British and Irish dishes.

Catterygirl Tue 12-Mar-24 23:23:25

I have to spend time in central Turkey to visit my husband’s sisters. Absolutely hate it. A modern town but dry like Saudi Arabia. The food tends to be kebab and then more kebab. No variety whatsoever. In the shopping mall they do have Burger King which is very popular as there’s no choice. That or kebab. I do enjoy a kebab but not for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

crazyH Tue 12-Mar-24 23:52:33

Catterygirl - I had to smile. Kebab, kebab and more kebab……are we talking doner kebab or sheesh - the way you solve the problem is by, bringing them over here and giving them chips for breakfast and dinner.
I’m being a bit facetious, but I do feel for you

nanna8 Wed 13-Mar-24 00:12:31

Stir fried- so quick and so healthy. Usually Thai or Japanese. You can get wonderful sauces to add these days. I often make curries,too. We actually rarely have the old trad things now except for barbecues and salads.

Frenchgalinspain Wed 13-Mar-24 09:23:22

Thank you all for your participating.

Some very interesting write-ups ..

Enjoyable reads ..

Nice day wishes.

Freya5 Wed 13-Mar-24 10:09:40

My favourites, any dish from the Med area, Germany, not to spicy ones though as my tongue very sensitive to Capsaicin, the chemical in spicy additions to food.

Kate1949 Wed 13-Mar-24 11:32:10

I'm not a good cook but my husband is. He makes lovely curries, both Indian and Chinese. He grinds all his own spices. He makes lasagna, spaghetti bolognese, spicy soups and makes bread.

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 13-Mar-24 12:00:45

Italian for me, at home and away. I'm vegetarian so the ubiquitous pasta/ pizza establishment has fed me all over the world, particularly appreciated forty years ago when some cuisines were not very veggie friendly.

Witzend Wed 13-Mar-24 12:25:59

I love shish kebabs, preferably cooked over charcoal, but you can keep doner! I always thought those rotating cones of slathered-on meat looked gross, but a Greek Cypriot friend put the lid on it when he told me of one doner establishment in North London, where they’d finally dismantled the whole thing for cleaning - and inside was a seething mass of maggots. 🤮

sweetcakes Wed 13-Mar-24 12:31:03

Mexican is my first go to at the moment followed by Indian.
Pasta is a midweek staple as is a stir-fry.
But living in the southeast we have many ethnic supermarkets springing up. One has just taken over a M & S it has everything.

TerriBull Wed 13-Mar-24 12:57:15

Witzend

I love shish kebabs, preferably cooked over charcoal, but you can keep doner! I always thought those rotating cones of slathered-on meat looked gross, but a Greek Cypriot friend put the lid on it when he told me of one doner establishment in North London, where they’d finally dismantled the whole thing for cleaning - and inside was a seething mass of maggots. 🤮

That sounds gross! Personally I've never been tempted by doner kebabs, simply because there's this great chunk of meat on a rotating spit thing and when I've passed such places when they aren't open, the lump of meat it's left there getting cold and then it's reheated again presumably. So if that re-heating process is kept going, surely it would create a food poisoning threat hmm However, my sons appear to have survived their kebab days well enough, but nevertheless it does make me wonder hmm

Favourite foreign foods at home, Indian or Italian.

MissInterpreted Wed 13-Mar-24 13:55:54

There's so much more to Turkish food than kebabs! And kebabs are so much more than just doner or shish - some are more like casseroles.

JackyB Wed 13-Mar-24 20:32:27

Here in Germany - not anywhere near any big city - there are no exotic ingredients to be had. So I stick to standard conservative British and German cuisine. I do have Soy sauce in the fridge which I put on rice to make it seem like we're having something from the Far East, bit it's not really.

Italian and Greek are standard alternatives.