Gransnet forums

Food

Bread

(37 Posts)
Mel1967 Sun 17-Mar-24 11:01:53

Hello,

Ideas and recipes, please, on what to with leftover bread.
I freeze the crusts and other left over bits of bread.
Now have rather a lot.
Thank you 😊

Salti Sun 17-Mar-24 11:36:53

Most of my leftover bread gets dumped in the food processor to make breadcrumbs. I tend to do it before I freeze but I'm sure you could do it when defrosted. I then use it to coat bits of chicken or fish to make goujons. I also sometimes make bread, butter and marmalade pudding for my husband. I also like a Spanish dessert which is a bit like creme caramel but with breadcrumbs in it. I think it is called "Pudden" or "Puddin".

midgey Sun 17-Mar-24 11:40:02

My husband loved bread pudding, especially with some custard! There’s also a fruit pudding with bread crumbs but I can’t remember what it’s called….Eve’s pudding?

Esmay Sun 17-Mar-24 12:26:28

I far prefer the crust of the bread to the centre so I never have leftover crusts .
If I did , I'd make a batch of breadcrumbs for fish or chicken and make a bread and butter pudding perhaps adding chopped dried apricots to the crusts and flaked almonds on top .

Astitchintime Sun 17-Mar-24 12:31:08

Sliced white bread is used in making Summer Pudding - the removed crusts make perfect bread crumbs for other dishes too.

ginny Sun 17-Mar-24 12:35:26

Breadcrumbs
Bread pudding
Bread & butter pudding
Summer pudding.

shysal Sun 17-Mar-24 12:44:04

I make and freeze breadcrumbs for use as a coating or a crunchy topping for dishes such as macaroni cheese, fish pie or cottage pie. With or without grated cheese and a spray of oil it browns quickly.
Another use is bread sauce for serving with poultry. I add some softened chopped onion, milk, a knob of butter and seasoning.

Sago Sun 17-Mar-24 12:52:24

If it’s good ciabatta or similar panzanella (bread salad) is delicious.

Baggs Sun 17-Mar-24 13:01:41

I do a crustless pie. It's mince with onions, tomato puree, garlic puree, broccoli stalks or other cabbagey stuff chopped small, lentils, etc, etc, and some dried, frozen or leftover bits of bread mixed in.
On top of that goes cheese sauce then bake the lot.

The South African recipe Bobotie (similar to above) uses bread too but its topping is a savoury egg and milk mixture.

Grandmabatty Sun 17-Mar-24 13:53:23

Croutons. Breadcrumbs. French toast. Summer pudding

AreWeThereYet Sun 17-Mar-24 14:06:19

Most of my left over bread gets frozen then when I have enough (we don't really eat bread much) I make a big spicy bread pudding. Eaten warm for pudding or room temp with a cup of tea. Can be frozen in pieces then defrosted when you want it, handy for visitors (so long as they are no gluten free of course),

Gwyllt Sun 17-Mar-24 14:10:38

Glamorgan sausages

HelterSkelter1 Sun 17-Mar-24 14:18:41

Please your favourite bread pudding recipe.

Theexwife Sun 17-Mar-24 14:26:49

I havent had bread pudding for years, used to love it.

Amalegra Tue 19-Mar-24 11:55:38

Croutons! Can be flavoured with herbs or garlic powder. Baking them in the oven having tossed in just a little olive oil is probably healthier than frying when more oil is needed. Better with white bread but I do make them with brown/wholemeal.

Calendargirl Tue 19-Mar-24 12:39:42

We buy low GI bread from our local bakers. Expensive but so good.

We eat the crusts so nothing to freeze.

chicken Tue 19-Mar-24 12:44:26

Make breadcrumbs, toast them in the oven or under the grill and use them to make a Brown Betty.

Happypie Tue 19-Mar-24 12:45:34

Savoury Spinach and Cheese Bread Pudding, by Backyard Chef on YouTube. It’s delicious.

Philippa111 Tue 19-Mar-24 12:51:24

HelterSkelter1

Please your favourite bread pudding recipe.

The best bread and butter pudding I have ever had was in France where they soak the raisins in brandy first and add the juice to the mixture. Add some lemon and or orange zest, a dash of vanilla essence and continue as we do here. You can splash more Brandy on the bread as well. Delicious warm, not hot, or at room temperature with a cup of tea in the afternoon.

I love the use of alcohol in cooking generally. A spash of brandy or rum can elevate a dish. I buy the cheap brandy in Waitrose or Lidl.

DeeAitch56 Tue 19-Mar-24 13:25:01

I know it as Summer pudding

grandtanteJE65 Tue 19-Mar-24 13:35:08

Grease an ovenfast dish well.
Lay a thick layer of home-made bread crumbs in it, then a layer of stewed apples, or apple purée. Continue with alternating layers of breadcrumbs and apple until the dish is full, ending with a layer of breadcrumbs. Add red currant jelly or raspberry jam in dollops to the top layer, alternating with small pieces of butter and bake in a moderately warm oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Serve with cream

Bread crumbs that have been toasted lightly on a dry frying pan can be used instead of grated parmesan cheese on pasta dishes. You can make a large quantity and store it in the fridge in a jar with a tight fitting lid.

123kitty Tue 19-Mar-24 13:56:26

Love the toasted breadcrumb idea grandtante - thanks.

JollyJilly Tue 19-Mar-24 14:01:41

I always freeze any bread I buy and take out the slices as and when required because I mostly toast the bread. If I want sandwiches I just defrost the amount of bread slices I need so never any waste.

DrWatson Tue 19-Mar-24 14:39:35

You could some bits of bread out for birds?? If it's a bit stale, wet it first?

Marmin Tue 19-Mar-24 14:48:36

Bread has little nutritional value for birds. They will eat it but there are much better foods we can give. Some larger birds like ducks should not be given bread. I know, I used to do it until it was explained to me and I checked for myself.