Gransnet forums

Food

Cheap veg this week

(65 Posts)
Kate1949 Tue 26-Mar-24 12:41:37

If anyone is interested, some supermarkets, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and probably others have bags of veg, including 2kg bags of potatoes for 15p each.

fancythat Tue 26-Mar-24 12:49:35

Oh good. Thank you.

fancythat Tue 26-Mar-24 12:50:09

Though may be bad news for British Farmers?

Kate1949 Tue 26-Mar-24 12:51:15

Or good new for struggling families?

twiglet77 Tue 26-Mar-24 12:51:25

I’ve just seen this selection!

Kate1949 Tue 26-Mar-24 12:54:07

Although my husband has been to Aldi today, he said most of it had gone! He got potatoes and a red cabbage. Everything else had gone.

Nannylovesshopping Tue 26-Mar-24 17:16:03

Swede, shallots, green beans, potatoes all at 15p today and plenty of them at Lidl

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 26-Mar-24 18:41:27

Some of those will come from the UK - no wonder farming has such a high suicide rate. How many people actually need to pay so little for their food, as opposed to being plain greedy?

Vito Tue 26-Mar-24 19:11:01

Germanshepherdsmum

Some of those will come from the UK - no wonder farming has such a high suicide rate. How many people actually need to pay so little for their food, as opposed to being plain greedy?

Can always rely on you to elevate the conversation

Mogsmaw Tue 26-Mar-24 19:18:27

I think greedy is a bit strong, I went to Lidl today and bought spring onions. I bought them because I need them for tomorrow’s dinner. I didn’t pay 15p but I would have had no choice if that had been the price.
I go to Lidl because I can walk there after work and then get a bus home. Any other supermarket is at least two busses away from my home.
What do you

Mogsmaw Tue 26-Mar-24 19:19:21

Suggest I do to avoid “greed”

Astitchintime Tue 26-Mar-24 19:19:38

Certain veggies were on Clubcard prices this morning - 19p for brown onions, 15p for carrots

Kate1949 Tue 26-Mar-24 19:24:30

We're definitely not greedy. We didn't rush up to Aldi to grab stuff, DH was going anyway. Why would we not buy them? We buy veg anyway. We make soups, cabbage for pickling etc.
We try to be healthy. I've just seen an article on The One Show which said that 8m people in the UK have had trouble affording fresh food. Yes I'm sorry for the farmers but I'm also sorry for families struggling.

Casdon Tue 26-Mar-24 19:41:14

Germanshepherdsmum

It’s a loss leader for the supermarkets, they get increased footfall, and once in there, people spend their money on other things too. The supermarkets don’t actually pay the farmers any less for the vegetables sold this week than they normally do (which isn’t enough, but that’s another story).

M0nica Tue 26-Mar-24 19:47:16

Dug up carrots and leeks from the garden today. The cost of the seeds was infinitismal.

Nannylovesshopping Tue 26-Mar-24 20:28:20

Germanshepherdsmum

What an aggressive comment, I was shopping and picked up these veg as I would every week, maybe I’m not so greedy as I didn’t get the spring onions or carrots as didn’t need them this week, I did put two boxes of teabags in the food bank, does that make it alright with you?

Primrose53 Tue 26-Mar-24 20:35:23

I buy pretty much the same veggies most weeks if it’s 15p or £1 a packet, if I need it I buy it but I never buy more than I need.

M0nica Wed 27-Mar-24 14:27:48

The supermarkets don’t actually pay the farmers any less for the vegetables sold this week than they normally do (which isn’t enough, but that’s another story).

What is the evidence for this, everything I have ever read says that the farmers are forced to accept loss making prices for the vegetables sold in promotions. It is always the supplier who bears the cost of low prices. Never the supermarket.

Casdon Wed 27-Mar-24 14:46:12

This explains how the system works.
news.sky.com/story/farmers-say-industry-on-its-knees-as-they-call-for-supermarkets-to-be-fairer-when-buying-produce-13038688
There are usually long-standing contracts, the price isn’t negotiated on a week by week basis. The supermarkets pay too little per contract, which of course is wrong, but that’s another issue. I live in a farming community, and I’m assured that contract prices drop in a glut season, but the supermarkets don’t change them for one week only.

Callistemon21 Wed 27-Mar-24 14:49:59

fancythat

Though may be bad news for British Farmers?

I do hope not and hope the supermarkets are bearing the cost.

No Farmers No Food.

M0nica Wed 27-Mar-24 16:22:53

I will continue to buy cheap vegetables ony when they are reduced because they are coming up to the end of their saleable dates.

If something is is suddenly cheap, someone is suffering to pay for it.

Grammaretto Wed 27-Mar-24 16:40:23

We have a busy foodbank in our town.
Leftover food is left outside in stacked crates even when it's closed.
This is unsold food from Supermarkets and free for anyone to take.
Today there were piles of wrapped rolls, sourdough bread from M&S, overipe bananas, turnips, carrots and potatoes.
These are not popular and are often left until someone disposes of them.

Inside the foodbank is a community fridge. This has mainly ready-made salads on or just beyond their best before date.
I use it occasionally to save the food from landfill.
I can afford to buy food but I don't feel bad about taking this.

Nannashirlz Sat 30-Mar-24 11:42:32

It’s only greedy if ppl buy 5 plus of each item etc. it’s Easter weekend lots of families have a roast dinner. I got mine from Sainsburys the same veggie I buy every week for my home made soup etc. I’d love to buy from local farmers but none nearby me but I did used to buy from one for over 20yrs

teachkate Sat 30-Mar-24 11:48:05

**Germanshepherdsmum

^^Some of those will come from the UK - no wonder farming has such a high suicide rate. How many people actually need to pay so little for their food, as opposed to being plain greedy?^^

A very sweeping, judgemental & unnecessarily harsh comment to make. I run a good bank in our parish and I can assure you these people aren’t greedy just very grateful

teachkate Sat 30-Mar-24 11:49:01

Food bank although food bank was an appropriate Freudian auto correct smile