Gransnet forums

Food

Small potatoes

(6 Posts)
Fartooold Tue 06-Oct-26 12:20:45

Has anyone noticed how small potatoes are at present. Bought a bag of Maris Pipers and most of the potatoes were so small and therefore difficult to peel and far too small to roast. Mind you I am useless at peeling!!

Ilovecheese Tue 06-Oct-26 12:24:42

I found the same but I think it's the time of year.

butterandjam Tue 06-Oct-26 12:37:52

Our supermarket (Tesco) sells several sizes and varieties of potato.

Small "new" potatoes are so young their tender skin doesn't need peeling. Just wash then steam or boil.

If you want potatoes to peel or for roasting, buy big ones sold for baking.

Marmin Tue 06-Oct-26 12:38:28

Last week's Riverford newsletter warned that the potato harvest has been hit by the recent drought.

Farmor15 Tue 06-Oct-26 13:50:52

It's the drought. My OH grows potatoes every year and this year they are small and also poor yield. Couldn't water them due to hosepipe ban.

MaizieD Tue 06-Oct-26 13:53:59

Just give them a good scrub and don't peel them.