Gransnet forums

Food

Doggy bags - yes or no?

(56 Posts)
Grannee Sun 13-Nov-22 19:00:11

Not the ones used by dog walkers - the ones for restaurant left overs! I found a previous discussion (with many hilarious comments) but it was over 5 years old.
Has the current economic climate made anyone change their view of requesting a doggy bag in a restaurant at the end of your meal, when there is a reasonable amount of good food, freshly prepared, that you have paid quite highly for?
I am not talking about a few chips from a fast food place (and I should add - your OWN plate not someone else's!

Grannee Sun 13-Nov-22 19:00:49

Completely forgot to say I am a definite YES!

MerylStreep Sun 13-Nov-22 19:12:20

The economic climate hasn’t changed my habits. I’ve always asked for doggy bag.

grannyrebel7 Sun 13-Nov-22 19:14:10

Yes. I hate wasting food. I used to be too embarrassed to ask for one, but now I don't care!

rosie1959 Sun 13-Nov-22 19:19:24

No can’t say I ever have but I don’t tend to order more than I can eat.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 13-Nov-22 19:36:15

Absolutely. We always take home leftovers and I’ve never felt embarrassed asking! Most restaurants seem to be geared up for it anyway, providing foil boxes etc.

tanith Sun 13-Nov-22 19:56:08

We did this today, had lunch in Italian restaurant and my 5yr old Grt GD couldn’t eat all her spaghetti meal so she asked for a box and ate the rest for her tea. They didn’t blink an eye and brought it out in a small brown box.

Maggiemaybe Sun 13-Nov-22 20:01:59

I've always asked for a doggy bag if I've a lot of food left. The portions can sometimes be a lot bigger than we were expecting.

It doesn't happen often, though. blush

M0nica Sun 13-Nov-22 20:03:55

Only once, in a pizza restaurant in France where the pizzas were the size of wagon wheels. When we have takeaway fish and chips, half the chips usually end in the freezer for future use, or doesn't that acount?

Nowadays most restaurants serve quite modest portions, so everything gets eaten.

sodapop Sun 13-Nov-22 20:05:19

I always ask for leftovers to be boxed up for my two dogs ( if suitable ) it has become mandatory in France to give diners their leftovers to take away.

Jaxjacky Sun 13-Nov-22 20:30:04

We always have done, no pets either!

CanadianGran Sun 13-Nov-22 20:31:03

We will. Restaurants here will offer if they see a good amount left on your plate. Apparently now you can ask to bring the rest of a bottle of wine if it is not finished as well, but we haven't ever run into that situation!

If I am going out for a fancier meal, then no.

paddyann54 Sun 13-Nov-22 20:41:12

No .never have .A local well known restaurant started doing doggy bags in the early 80's but taking cold food home in a paper bag never appealedto us ...even if i t really was for the dog!
They always put a cork in your wine to take home and if you had ordered Port by the bottle they labelled it with your name for your next visit

Sago Sun 13-Nov-22 20:46:06

Yes!

Fleurpepper Sun 13-Nov-22 20:50:27

Of course yes- portions are often far too big, and I just hate all the waste.

Auntieflo Sun 13-Nov-22 20:53:14

Yes, from me.
I had a ploughman's in a garden centre a few weeks ago, and it was Enormous!
It would have fed two, so a member of staff offered me a 'doggy bag', for which I was very grateful.

Patsy70 Sun 13-Nov-22 21:34:24

Yes, definitely, if there is a substantial amount of food left.

BigBertha1 Sun 13-Nov-22 21:42:25

No no. I would never want a bag of box of left over food. We quite often share a sandwich or sides so that we don't over order. Concealed good for my next meal yuk!

Hellogirl1 Sun 13-Nov-22 21:44:09

One of my daughters always asks for a doggy bag, then collects any meat left over, for her dog.

Georgesgran Sun 13-Nov-22 22:02:46

Yes - last week DD2 and I had dinner. She ordered fillet steak, a tad under £40, but didn’t feel too well, so we left early and the rest of the steak went with her - eaten in a sandwich the next day.
We’ve had lunch out today and brought the fat from her sirloin back for the dog - it barely touched the sides!

annsixty Sun 13-Nov-22 22:43:22

I don’t always ask for the leftovers to be boxed though I have no hesitation .
I usually just put the remains of steak or chops in my bag suitably wrapped in lots of napkins.
I have resolved to take kitchen foil in future to save my handbag lining?
As a fillet steak is now £30 plus there is no way I am leaving £15 worth of prime beef so I take it home for a sandwich on the next day.

BlueBelle Sun 13-Nov-22 22:53:53

Well I always ask for a doggy bag but not for a doggy just for me, I always have nothing to do with austerity it’s only going to be thrown out and I ve paid for it so why not!!
£40 for a lunch ??? Wow

Bigred18 Sun 13-Nov-22 23:07:31

It's not encouraged here in Oz. Most good restaurants won't do it. If leftovers not refrigerated immediately food poisoning may follow and restaurant blamed!

GagaJo Sun 13-Nov-22 23:14:09

Yes, particularly if it's an Indian meal. So many leftovers.

henetha Sun 13-Nov-22 23:22:25

Yes, I have done it occasionally. No problem.