Gransnet forums

Food

Favourite cake? What is yours?

(130 Posts)
LRavenscroft Thu 01-Jun-23 06:56:09

When I retired I had never baked in my life but it has become a favourite hobby and I try to bake a different cake each week, learning from my mistakes. My favourite cake is definitely a Victoria sponge. What is yours and do you have any baking anecdotes?

Katyj Thu 01-Jun-23 07:19:31

My favourite is coffee and walnut , I’ve never made one though as I’m not very good, hoping to improve. The GC came the other day with a big hint from my son that grandma can bake a lovely lemon drizzle cake, it’s his favourite. So guess what we’re baking today. Hope it turns out okay .

Grandmabatty Thu 01-Jun-23 07:22:42

I have two favourites. The first is a chocolate cake with chocolate icing from the Bero book. The second is lemon drizzle cake. I use Mary Berry's recipe.

fancythat Thu 01-Jun-23 07:25:49

Christmas cake or Simnel cake.
I like what they represent and I like marzipan.

cornergran Thu 01-Jun-23 07:26:36

Lemon and almond cake from a recipe shared by a colleague over 50 years ago. Easy, looks good and tastes even better. I really must stir myself and make one.

teabagwoman Thu 01-Jun-23 07:28:57

My favourite cake is carrot cake, a taste shared by my dd so she had it as her wedding cake. I’ve been baking for years but wasn’t up for that pressure so gave the recipe to the caterers.

Joseann Thu 01-Jun-23 07:31:33

I prefer a fruit cake to a sponge cake. My favourite though is probably carrot cake.
I do like marzipan too.

tanith Thu 01-Jun-23 07:35:09

Coffee and walnut or Victoria sponge for me.

denbylover Thu 01-Jun-23 07:42:28

How to choose there’s so many nice ones. 😋
Lemon Drizzle, Spice sponge, Black Forest Gateau, Carrot Cake. Love any sort of scone too.

harrysgran Thu 01-Jun-23 07:48:17

Victoria sponge

Greyduster Thu 01-Jun-23 07:49:08

The lovely sticky ginger cake that DD makes. For some reason I can’t replicate that same stickiness.
Carrot cake
My chocolate walnut and banana brownies.

Aveline Thu 01-Jun-23 07:52:23

I still fantasise about Fuller's walnut cake. No longer available but it's lovely flavour and texture of the icing haunts me ☹️😋

growstuff Thu 01-Jun-23 07:58:30

Carrot cake because it never goes wrong for me.

Least favourite at the moment is lemon and elderflower cake because in a foolish moment, I promised to make one for my daughter's wedding cake. I've been practising for weeks and I think I've just about perfected it. The problem is that I don't usually eat cake, so I have to look at each trial cake I've made and then find volunteers to try it out. There's no shortage of volunteers, but it's heartbreaking watching them try out something I can't.

Jaffacake2 Thu 01-Jun-23 07:59:19

I love cake. But since I developed anaphylaxis to wheat and nuts in my late 50s I don't really eat much. Most gluten free cakes from stores say " may contain nuts " and after making serious mistakes have stopped buying them. People say well bake your own but if I bake then I eat too much, no will power !! My weekly treat is Sainsbury's gluten nut free blueberry muffins, yummy !

Abitbarmy Thu 01-Jun-23 08:00:05

Mine’s probably a light fat less sponge filled with jam and whipped cream, followed by Victoria sponge. Any cake is good except not keen on carrot cake and cream cheese icing.

dogsmother Thu 01-Jun-23 08:36:04

Do like cake, most of them really. Chocolate I can leave however I live to make a len sponge with fresh cream, lemon curd and sticky icing.

Esmay Thu 01-Jun-23 09:36:33

Aveline - we used to have Fuller's walnut cake .
I used to have the recipe , but never attempted to make it !

Otherwise :

I love a Victoria sponge with lots of fresh fruit inside . I add raspberries and strawberries just before serving .

A Christmas cake without currants / raisins or royal icing , but lots of marzipan - so that makes it a Simnel cake ?

Coffee and walnut
Carrot
Lemon drizzle

Any cake from Patisserie Valerie -that's my treat when I go shopping !

nanna8 Thu 01-Jun-23 09:44:46

Lemon tarts, love them . Not the nasty cheap mass produced ones but a tangy one with icing sugar on top.

Rosie51 Thu 01-Jun-23 09:57:35

A Christmas cake without currants / raisins or royal icing , but lots of marzipan - so that makes it a Simnel cake ? Very close, but you need a layer of marzipan baked in the middle of the cake. I love simnel cake as I love marzipan too.

Blossoming Thu 01-Jun-23 10:16:00

Bakewell tart.

hollysteers Thu 01-Jun-23 10:44:28

Used to be the Welsh Bara Brith, which I also butter, but I have gone orf it for some reason…
I prefer fruit cakes, so Genoa is up there with Christmas cake.

Bella23 Thu 01-Jun-23 10:53:58

DH prefers fruit cakes so Christmas, simnel and loaf cakes are made. I prefer lemon drizzle Mary Berrys or Black Forest gateau which I would never attempt these days, so treats if we go out. I try not to have cake in the house as I am meant to be losing weight, some hope.blush

AGAA4 Thu 01-Jun-23 12:20:32

Cherry Madeira cake is one of my favourites. I used to bake a cake every weekend when my family were still around but don't bake just for me now. My DH loved the banana loaf I used to make.

Calendargirl Thu 01-Jun-23 12:52:50

My late MIL’s chocolate cake was the best I’ve ever tasted, not like any other.

It was quite a dense cake, with a lovely glacé chocolate icing on the top, and the cake itself not overly sweet.

Oh, I would love a slice (or two) right now!

LRavenscroft Thu 01-Jun-23 13:27:51

AGAA4

Cherry Madeira cake is one of my favourites. I used to bake a cake every weekend when my family were still around but don't bake just for me now. My DH loved the banana loaf I used to make.

Ooh! Cherry Madeira cake. I remember it well as a child. My granny used to love it. Thanks for reminding me.