Gransnet forums

Food

Home made oven chips

(19 Posts)
kittylester Sat 06-Apr-24 20:24:44

How do you make yours?

Mine are rather similar to roast potatoes but longer and thinner and not very healthy and I'm interested in alternatives methods.

aggie Sat 06-Apr-24 20:30:04

I do wedges rather than chips , very little oil with seasoning and cook in the Airfryer

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Apr-24 20:31:42

Cut potatoes, skin on, into chunky chips, spray lightly with olive oil and cook for about 25m at 180 fan.

Maggymay Sat 06-Apr-24 20:55:12

I leave the chips to soak in water for 30 minutes drain and thoughly dry in a clean tea towel. Spray lightly with oil and cook in the airfryer for 20 minutes.

Norah Sat 06-Apr-24 21:16:45

I scrub potatoes, skin on, cut small triangles, soak in cold salt water, drain, dry, shake with a bit olive oil and salt. Bake, paper covered tray, 25 min.

shysal Sun 07-Apr-24 07:49:07

I find a spray or two with 1cal oil is enough to do them as you do, Kitty. I now use the air fryer in the same way.

LadyGracie Sun 07-Apr-24 08:10:28

I cut mine then put in boiling water for a few minutes, drain, then season and add a little oil, shake and tip onto a non stick baking tray.

MiniMoon Sun 07-Apr-24 09:10:32

I cut my potatoes into thin wedges, toss them in a little seasoned olive oil (salt, pepper and paprika) and air fry them.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 07-Apr-24 09:12:32

Oh my goodness I’m so fancying chips now and it’s only 9am!

shysal Sun 07-Apr-24 10:42:49

An ad for McCain's baby hasselbacks has popped up next to this thread, now I want some home-made ones! I have recently learnt a quick air fryer method. Peel potatoes and cut slices part way through. Cook in microwave according to size (8 mins for a large one), and then brush with oil and spice mix including inside the cuts. I use a mix of Paprika, salt and garlic granules. Finish in air fryer at 200C for 10 mins, sprinkling with grated parmesan for the last 5.

kittylester Sun 07-Apr-24 10:48:21

I bought those McCains Hasselbacks - they were awful imo!

JackyB Sun 07-Apr-24 11:00:00

Soaking or parboiling beforehand does improve them. And use as little oil as possible. Turn them a couple of times during baking as otherwise one side will be soggy.

shysal Sun 07-Apr-24 11:02:27

kittylester

I bought those McCains Hasselbacks - they were awful imo!

Thank goodness! I won't bother trying them.

Purplepixie Sun 07-Apr-24 11:03:49

`I cut mine into wedges and let them soak in water. Dry them off and put in a dish. Cover with 1 cal spray oil and some sea salt. Bake in a hot oven for 15 minutes then turn. Try after another 15 minutes and they should be perfect. Also do this with sweet potatoes and they come out perfect.

Witzend Wed 10-Apr-24 09:19:45

I’ve never tried actual chips - I often make wedges for the Gdcs though. Prep and parboil for 8 minutes well in advance but they still take half an hour in a hot oven. Often with fried eggs.

BlueSapphire Tue 16-Apr-24 17:39:45

Going on holiday tomorrow and this is what I've done with the baking potatoes I had left in the veggie rack.
I cut them into chunky chip size, par-boiled for 5 minutes, then spread them on a baking tray to open freeze, sprinkling with salt and pepper.
Then transferred to a freezer bag, and shall take out what I want, and bake and crisp up in a hot oven (or air-fryer).

silverlining48 Tue 16-Apr-24 17:53:33

We use one spray, put cut chips in the oven, add paprika or salt or whatever you want and hey presto cheeky chips. Slimming world recipe

CanadianGran Tue 16-Apr-24 18:07:22

I've got a handy chip cutter, it's well used! Then I parboil the chips for about 5 min, toss in a bit of oil and spices, then into the airfryer for about 15 min.

GrannyIvy Tue 16-Apr-24 20:54:38

Arthur Bartlett potatoes make lovely chips. I cut them soak for half an hour dry and put a tablespoon of olive oil and seasoning and baste well and put in airfryer at 180 degrees for about half an hour. The best chips ever.