Gransnet forums

Food

Leftovers

(51 Posts)
Sallywally1 Sun 14-Apr-24 20:22:33

If you use any leftover food what do you make. I had some fish pie left over from Friday and I turned it into fishcakes, with extra potato mixed in, and they were lovely. We all need to make money/food go further these days, so I’m looking for for ideas

V3ra Sun 14-Apr-24 20:38:17

If I have leftovers I freeze them in a plastic Chinese takeaway box for a "free meal" another day.
I look on it as a home-cooked ready meal! 😋

Grandmadinosaur Sun 14-Apr-24 20:42:13

V3ra

If I have leftovers I freeze them in a plastic Chinese takeaway box for a "free meal" another day.
I look on it as a home-cooked ready meal! 😋

I do this too. Last time I made a spag Bol I made twice the amount of mince mixture and froze half of it. Fetched it out last week and turned it into a lasagne that was a doddle compared to the usual faff. It was delicious.

Sago Sun 14-Apr-24 21:11:17

Roast gammon this evening, gammon and leek pie tomorrow and gammon and pea creamy pasta on Tuesday.
Love leftovers!

Vintagewhine Sun 14-Apr-24 21:34:06

Roast chicken dinner, chicken and butternut risotto with Stilton and chicken and mushroom pie. Three meals for 2 from a decent sized chicken with enough for coronation chicken salad for lunch. Always take the cooked meat off the carcass and make a good stock for soups or risotto.

M0nica Sun 14-Apr-24 21:45:27

All get used, and a lot arise from batch cooking, otherwise everytthing goes into the freezer in a plastic box. in the drawer just below the fridge, This means I am constantly reminded they are there and they do all get used, one way or another.

CanadianGran Mon 15-Apr-24 03:30:26

We eat quite a few leftovers; I tend to make dinners then put leftovers in a plastic container in the fridge. I re-heat in the air fryer rather than the microwave; it does come out nicer somehow.

One thing I don't like reheated is mashed potatoes, I think the texture is not the same. So I try to make just enough.

Llamedos13 Mon 15-Apr-24 03:33:12

I make potato scones with leftover mashed potatoes.

BigBertha1 Mon 15-Apr-24 09:22:30

Not left over as such but today is a casserole made yesterday specifically so I don't have to cook two days running. DH eats leftovers I don't unless its chocolate.

Witzend Mon 15-Apr-24 09:34:26

Llamedos13

I make potato scones with leftover mashed potatoes.

We hardly ever have any left over, but I sometimes make extra on purpose - to fry in a film of oil with anything suitable, e.g. egg/bacon, plus of course any leftover cabbage - bubble and squeak.

It also goes very nicely in a soup, to thicken it. Any dregs of cheese or parsley sauce go beautifully in a vegetable soup, too.

Very little ever gets wasted in this house!

Esmay Mon 15-Apr-24 09:42:15

On Thursdays , my Grandma took all the leftovers from the fridge and passed them through a meat grinder .
Then , she added an egg and some herbs , finely cut onion and shaped them into patties and fried them .
She called them collops .
We ate them hot or cold with baked potatoes and salad , never had food poisoning and never had any food to be thrown away either .

nadateturbe Mon 15-Apr-24 09:48:12

I rarely reheat food, it's risky. And definitely never rice.

MissAdventure Mon 15-Apr-24 09:53:25

Depends what I'm eating the next day.

I can always find a way of putting in a few leftover veg. (Unless I'm having a cheese sandwich)

I don't really have leftovers.

Witzend Mon 15-Apr-24 10:05:38

In an old novel (Middlemarch IIRC) I read of a ‘Saturday pie’, which was apparently made of whatever leftovers or anything else there happened to be.
I’ve never read or heard the term anywhere else.

MissAdventure Mon 15-Apr-24 10:08:29

Bubble and squeak is lovely.
Haven't made that for years, because "somebody" insists he hates it, despite never having had it.

henetha Mon 15-Apr-24 10:50:07

Left over vegetables are lovely if covered in a nice cheese sauce.

ginny Mon 15-Apr-24 10:59:11

Esmay You have reminded me that my Grandmother did the same but I think she called them rissoles and maybe they had breadcrumbs .

Few leftovers here but they are usually used up in one way or another.

Witzend Mon 15-Apr-24 11:23:15

I have never known quite what rissoles are - I always thought they were partly rice, but that’s probably because of the name.

However I well remember a Fred Basset cartoon, where the husband was just coming home from work and asking,
‘What’s for dinner?’

Fred Basset (thinking in a bubble): ‘This’ll wipe the smile off his face!’
Wife: ‘Rissoles!’ 😂

Judy54 Mon 15-Apr-24 16:35:41

Yes we cook things like Bolognese sauce and curries to go in the freezer. Also we cook more vegetables than we need which also go in the freezer and get used for soup or bubble and squeak. Always great to have some home made meals to hand for days when we don't feel like cooking.

Patsy70 Mon 15-Apr-24 16:51:20

I’ve just been sorting out one of the freezer drawers and have in plastic containers 2 roasted sweet potato & red pepper soup, vegetable curry, pork casserole, veg for bubble & squeak, bolognese sauce. We’re having the leftover fish pie with salad tonight (or I might make it into fish cakes).

petra Mon 15-Apr-24 17:05:25

MissA
Does he like cheese? If yes, make the bubble and squeak into the shape of a fish cake/ rostie. Great cheese on top, under the grill. Job done 😁

MissAdventure Mon 15-Apr-24 17:43:39

We have to have a public enquiry into what I'm cooking.
Inspect the plates for any marks, smears, and then a detailed description of what I'm feeding him.

"Those things with something or other on it" doesn't work anymore.

The rosti might just, though.

Thanks. smile

muckandnettles Mon 15-Apr-24 17:55:32

I really love leftovers and always happy to either have the same thing two nights running, or freeze and come back to it later on. Tonight I'm have leftover paella from a few weeks ago - very pleased with 'no cook' nice food I made myself. I will maybe have it with salad and a few more veg, or supplement with some olives and sundried tomatoes, but it's basically all done.

Patsy70 Mon 15-Apr-24 19:03:28

I’ve decided to use up the leftovers this week. Tomorrow the bolognese will become a chilli, with rice and ‘extras’, on Wednesday we’ll have the soup, plus mixed beans and homemade bread, the bubble & squeak we’ll have with cold meat & salad, then one of us will have the pie! Job done. Then I’ll treat us to dinner out! 😂

flappergirl Mon 15-Apr-24 19:56:29

I rarely have leftovers these days but after reading this I don't half fancy some bubble and squeak!