Gransnet forums

Food

Waitrose has stopped providing bags for loose veg.

(3 Posts)
Betony Sat 10-Oct-26 15:08:50

Hoping this is the right place to start this thread.

Waitrose supermarket still sells loose veg, but no longer supplies the compostable bags to put them in. Instead, you have to pay 20p for a reusable net bag. I was in a hurry to get my own and and someone else's shopping the other day, so bought one of these bags, and put onions for both of us in the one bag and I think I lost on the deal splitting the cost in half!

Anyone else experienced this? I'd go to Tesco, but it's quite a drive for me. I have visions of having to print out 6 separate price tags on the scales in Waitrose to stick on 6 separate potatoes!

GrannyGravy13 Sat 10-Oct-26 15:13:17

Our Sainsbury’s has had these bags for years.

I purchased 10 about 3 years ago, and another 5 earlier this year.

I use them in supermarkets and local farm shops.

Every little thing helps cut down on plastic waste,

cc Sat 10-Oct-26 15:16:16

I think several supermarkets have tried to get rid of free veg bags, I did buy some of the bags from Tesco but never remembered to take them with me. There’s nothing to stop you putting the veg straight into your trolley to weigh at the till, or taking any old bag with you?