Gransnet forums

Games

Whist

(9 Posts)
Fennel Fri 14-Sep-18 09:33:30

ps I expect the above applies to all card-playing clubs.

Fennel Fri 14-Sep-18 09:30:04

As someone said the social side is good too. Except that some couples end up fighting, throwing down their cards and flouncing out! People can take it too seriously.
We joined a club in France and were made very welcome. The trouble was, it didn't start until 8pm, went on until after midnight, then there were drinks and a snack, then had to drive home in the dark. So eventually we had to leave.

Greyduster Fri 14-Sep-18 08:08:12

There was always a whist post-mortem too, kitty. I could never remember what had been put down when I had a memory - it would be a non starter now!

kittylester Fri 14-Sep-18 06:25:39

I think bridge takes a special mind set. DH's parents played it competently and DH represented his university and DD2 played for her school. I have tried to play but I have a dreadful memory for the after game discussion of where it went wrong (usually me!!)

Farmor15 Thu 13-Sep-18 23:28:37

The best way to learn bridge is to go to classes. At this time of year, there are courses in lots of towns. I was never into cards but started bridge about 10 years ago. It is complicated, but when you start with other novices, you can help each other. Some clubs are very social, with parties ever now and then. Definitely a good way to get out and meet new people.

Greyduster Thu 13-Sep-18 20:03:59

DH and I played whist with many friends over the years; he is a very good card player. He hates partnering me, because I am hopeless at reading the cards. I don’t know why he never learned to play Bridge. I’m sure he would be good at it. My godson has been a very good Bridge player since his early teens. Some years ago he spent almost the whole of a cruise with his parents playing Bridge with elderly American ladies. They used to come and seek him out!!

Jane10 Thu 13-Sep-18 19:01:38

I'm a bridge novice. This is despite playing/trying to play for the past few years. It's complicated but intriguing. People seem to get hooked on it and it can be deadly serious. I play at a U3A group which is OK but I really enjoy playing with a group of neighbours where the chat and the lunch are the main point for me. Social bridge as opposed to club bridge.

Fennel Thu 13-Sep-18 18:57:42

Husband played bridge at home with his father and brothers and got me interested.
It is, as you say, very complicated. But very interesting too. Just start with beginners and you gradually get drawn into it (ie obsessed.) A lot of concentration and memory work. I never got past the beginner's level but enjoyed it a lot.
There's another game called Solo which we played with our neighbours for many years. It's a variation of whist.

travelsafar Thu 13-Sep-18 18:32:39

I am off to play Whist this evening and i wondered if there are many people who still play this game or is Bridge the card game of choice. We do have a good amount of players, usually about 20, most of them also play bridge and belong to several groups even going on holidays devoted to Bridge. smile

I thought about joining a beginners group but chickened out as i thought, after looking it up on the internet it looks very complicated. Is there anyone who has recently started to play who could enlighten me please.