Gransnet forums

Games

children party games

(17 Posts)
Grandelly54 Tue 09-Oct-18 14:00:35

can anyone help? My friend told me about a children's party game whereby a child is blindfolded and various things are placed in their hand ( something to do with Nelson) i.e. a piece of soft jelly, they are told this is Nelson's eye, a rolling pin, this is Nelson's arm etc. etc. My friend is not sure what the game is called and also what the result should be. She said she played it when she was a youngster. I have never heard of it, but it is my grandson's 8th birthday very soon and I am party master. Have loads of other games sorted, but if anyone has heard/played this particular game would love to find out about it.

Pirate Tue 09-Oct-18 14:11:36

If you Google Nelson's eye game it comes up in several sites. Hope this helps.

Daddima Tue 09-Oct-18 14:17:43

Mine loved the ‘ dressing up bag’ game, where the bin bag was passed around the circle, and when the music stopped you had to put on the item of clothing you picked out of the bag. With 8 year olds, big knickers and bras were always popular!

( Incidentally, we still play this as adults!)

Greenfinch Tue 09-Oct-18 15:09:40

I love the idea of this and will start sorting out "big"clothes for my grandchildren toplay at Christmas. grin

Humbertbear Tue 09-Oct-18 17:14:40

I remember playing the Nelsons Eye Game at parties. The trouble is finding something to do with all the children who are queuing up for their turn outside the room.

DoraMarr Tue 09-Oct-18 18:00:47

At my children’s parties I used to give each child a paper hat to decorate when they arrived- just a band of stiff paper or card, zig-zagged cut to look like a crown, then crayons and sticky shapes to decorate. It kept them busy while everyone arrived (I also staggered arrivals) and meant the shy ones had something to do to ease them in. The host child collected presents in a basket to open after tea. All the children enjoyed musical bumps or musical statues, hunt the thimble ( best played outdoors) and we used to have dancing competitions. I always made sure everyone got a prize. When they were very small I remember they enjoyed singing games and action rhymes, without any prizes. I like the big knickers idea!

Elegran Tue 09-Oct-18 18:47:33

Grandelly Nelson's Eye isn't really a game with a result, it is a way to have the children squealing with horror and thoroughly wound up so that they are unmanageable for the rest of the party. Some may find it a bit scary.

You prepare a tray before hand with the exhibits - a peeled grape or a peeled boiled egg (eye) , an orange with a hole in it (empty eye socket), and a rolling pin wrapped in cloth with a stuffed rubber glove on the end (arm and hand), plus any other nasty things your imagination can think up, and a pile of small paper bags. Drape a cloth over it to hide the things and keep it somewhere like the kitchen.

Send them all out of the room and bring in the tray. Say you are going to introduce them to Admiral Nelson, but you must blindfold them first, they must feel not see.

Say that Nelson lost an arm in a battle at Santa Cruz in Teneriffe "and this is the arm to feel" (rolling pin). And lost an eye in a battle off Corsica "and this is the eye" (grape or egg) "and the empty eye socket" (put their finger into the hole in the orange) and finally at the batle of Trafalgar he was" (burst a paper bag as you say it) "shot dead"

Then calm their hysterics and let them sit to one side while the others are brought in one by one.

Those outside the door have probably been up to mischief in the meantime.

Elegran Tue 09-Oct-18 18:49:25

PS Cover the tray in between victims so that they don't know what is coming.

JackyB Tue 09-Oct-18 18:54:35

I was introduced to this as a Hallowe'en game when I helped with the American boy scouts. The peeled grapes were dead men's eyes and a bowl of cooked, cooled spaghetti were dead men's brains. But the 8-year-old boys were far too savvy to be horrified by or even to believe the objects were what they were supposed to be.

Shame about all the grape-peeling work that some mother had done in preparation.

Elegran Tue 09-Oct-18 18:59:25

Another similar thing which was perpetrated on us at a party once was "The mummy".

Everyone outside the door as for Nelson's Eye, let in one by one to a darkened room with someone lying on the floor wrapped in rugs like a mummy. You had to stand over it, one foot at each side, facing the "head" end, and ask it three questions with the answer yes or no (told what to ask, and the third one was "Have you really been dead for three thousand years?") The mummy was said to be hard of hearing, so you had to bend closer to the "head"

The "head" nodded or shook for yes or no to the first two, but at the third, the FOOT END sat up smartly, shouted "NO" and whacked you on the behind with a rolled newspaper he had been concealing under the rug. What you thought was the head was really his feet.

The Dad of the party person played the mummy, with relish.

PamelaJ1 Tue 09-Oct-18 19:52:50

I remember a friends dad standing in front of us, we were in a row.
He had a plate and so did we, he kept running his finger round the plate and then ‘making patterns’ on his face. We were all copying him. His plate was clean-ourswas covered in something black so we ended up with painted faces.
Goodness knows what the black stuff was and I can’t remember why we didn’t notice that we were getting a bit streaky.
Very odd, I’ve never come across it since.

Grandelly54 Wed 10-Oct-18 18:06:11

Oh thank you so much for your answers, Nelson's eye sounds really scary and I'm not sure that any 8 year olds know who Nelson is. EEK so much for taking history out of the school curriculum! I like the dressing up game with the bin bag. Again thank you for your replies.

lemongrove Wed 10-Oct-18 21:24:39

I think I would stick with pin the tail on the donkey, blind mans buff, pass the parcel and statues.grin

PECS Wed 10-Oct-18 21:29:37

Oh I played Nelson's Eye at Halloween when I was a child at boarding school.

VelmaJDennis Wed 24-Oct-18 12:13:14

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JannyLi Wed 09-Jan-19 14:30:47

Hello everybody! I would like to ask for advice. I've been collecting yo-yo for a very long time and I've got a descent collection of it by now. I'm still looking for interesting models and browse different sites with good reviews on them. And I run into this one cutelittledarling.com/best-yoyo/, I did really like it. So the question is - is anybody familiar with the informative reviews on these toys? If you are, please, share with me. I would be really grateful!

lucastill19 Wed 07-Sep-22 13:08:47

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.