Gransnet forums

Games

Lonely DGD

(32 Posts)
Newquay Fri 28-Jun-19 00:18:58

DGD, aged 21, is now back home having completed her second year at Uni. She's worked very hard and done really well. She now does some work in her parents' business.What concerns me that she doesn't seem to go out at all and spends all her time in her room.
She goes with her family to church on Sundays but little else. I am concerned cos her parents don't go out much either.
What can I suggest she does to get her out?

janeainsworth Fri 28-Jun-19 21:42:21

Tillybelle I don’t think that quoting suicide statistics on a thread like this is either kind or wise, however many psychology qualifications you may have.

I find Pinkjj27’s contribution far more credible and appropriate and I hope it is of some comfort to Newquay.

And just in case you’re tempted to write a long diatribe about me, I’m entitled to both disagree with you and express my opinion.

absent Fri 28-Jun-19 21:51:35

Maybe times have changed but when I was at university I spent quite a lot of my vacations studying, reading writing essays and revising, especially in the the long vacation before my final year.

annodomini Fri 28-Jun-19 22:13:01

By entitling this thread 'Lonely granddaughter', 'Newquay' has led us to expect that her GD's solitude is involuntary. However, being alone is not the same thing as being lonely. It may be that this girl prefers her own company or - as is more likely nowadays - is spending time on social media. For all we know she could be writing a novel or doing course work in preparation for next year's study. There is no implication that her parents are concerned about her, so why should grandmother worry? Indeed, the OP says that the parents don't go our very much, so as a family they might be somewhat reclusive. I would say, 'Hands off, grandma'.

nanababs Sat 29-Jun-19 06:59:37

janeainsworth I wish this site had a like button.

Pantglas1 Sat 29-Jun-19 07:28:46

I’ve read this thread all through and agree a chat with DGD would be my initial course of action. However, we are all different and my own DGD is so different from my mother, myself and my daughter that we’ve joked that she’s a cuckoo in our nest!

Very self contained, happy in her own company and confident in her views at 19 in a way I certainly never was. There’s a lot to be said for it as I can’t see her succumbing to peer pressure which happens to most of us at that age, leading to all sorts of possibilities- not all of them good!

janeainsworth Sat 29-Jun-19 07:46:29

Thanks nanababs.