Gransnet forums

Games

Favourite tv adverts

(50 Posts)
angelic Tue 24-Sep-19 12:28:29

For fun, even the words if you can remember!

For mash get Smash!

travelsafar Wed 25-Sep-19 08:48:27

I love all the Spec Saver ads, 'should have gone to specsavers!!' smile Have heard some good ones on the radio too for their hearing aids.

Gaunt47 Wed 25-Sep-19 08:54:11

Shandi - British Gas?

Grannycool52 Wed 25-Sep-19 14:45:10

Murray Mints, Murray Mints,
The too good to hurry mints.

Grannycool52 Wed 25-Sep-19 14:47:34

Hives, boy on bike, Ashington Colliery Band playing Dvorak

Grannycool52 Wed 25-Sep-19 14:49:14

HOVIS!

humptydumpty Wed 25-Sep-19 15:37:05

There were some great ads for energy-saving(???) which featured Aardman animations- great!

Tangerine Wed 25-Sep-19 22:49:42

Ticker Ticker Timex, Tra La La

I think that advert was on in the 1960's.

Lilypops Wed 25-Sep-19 22:53:44

I love the present Flash advert ,with the dog peering over the bath appearing to sing, almost real ,

Sara65 Thu 26-Sep-19 08:27:48

Chaffinch

I don’t know what it is about the John Lewis adverts, but they always make me cry!
Just thinking about the one you mentioned, is making me cry!!!

Yorksherlass Thu 26-Sep-19 08:37:32

Black horse adverts especially the horses thundering across the beach.

Witzend Thu 26-Sep-19 08:45:32

I still love the terribly un PC Carling Black Label one (Dambusters), which is on YouTube.

Ditto the two very funny Boddington's ones - also on YouTube. 'That Gladys Althorp, she never buys her own,' (spoof Venetian setting with Anna Chancellor) and 'By the heck, Petal - you smell gorgeous tonight!' (very glam woman in very glam setting, with equally glam bloke) , sensuously anointing herself with what looks like face cream, until you see that it's the foam off the top of a pint of Boddies.).

And another, for maybe Batchelors Super Noodles, where two blokes are saying how disgusting girls are, using your razor for their legs and leaving hairy bits in the basin - as they lick their plates clean before putting them away in the cupboard!

There are so few really good home-grown ones now. So many are just boring, presumably generic-international - though having said that I don't see many now - we mostly record programmes and zoom through the ads.

Davida1968 Thu 26-Sep-19 08:52:08

Does anyone else remember the "Omo brightness" advert? In which someone said: "Kindly take that ding-a-dong out of my washing machine!" This used to make me laugh - it must have been at least 60 years ago, because I remember saying it, with friends at primary school.

HurdyGurdy Thu 26-Sep-19 09:00:36

There was one years ago, which I think was for Nike. It was set at a basketball game. There is a specific "jingle" type music which is played at those games and when it was played in the advert, everyone (players and watchers) had to play musical chairs. I found it really funny.

Also, if I said "chop, chop, busy, busy, work, work, bang, bang" - would anyone know what the advert was for? Everyone I ask can remember that the advert had penguins in it, and everyone says it's for penguin chocolate biscuits.

It was actually for BT!

The "chop, chop, busy, busy' chant became the catchphrase for my colleague and I at the time when we were really busy at work.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 26-Sep-19 09:07:56

I remember an old one for Hamlet cigars. 'Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet.' Not allowed these days. A bloke with a 'comb over' is trying to get his photo taken in a booth but can't get his remaining hair right.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 26-Sep-19 09:15:01

I've just remembered a good 'un for Rollo chocolate.

A smug lad on the front row at the circus taunts a young elephant with his last Rollo then selfishly eats it himself.

Years later grown up Mr Smug returns and the elephant who never forgot walks up to him and swipes him with his trunk!

Anja Thu 26-Sep-19 09:15:02

I like all the Specsavers adverts. The new one with the Mona Lisa is very clever.

crystaltipps Thu 26-Sep-19 11:47:59

Joan Collins and Leonard Rossiter in a Cinzano ? advert can’t remember the lines .

Grannycool52 Thu 26-Sep-19 20:43:23

Are you a Cadbury's Fruit & Nutcase?

Grannycool52 Thu 26-Sep-19 20:44:57

Drinka Pinta Milka Day!

Grannycool52 Thu 26-Sep-19 20:50:51

Phyllosan fortified the over 40s!

angelic Sat 28-Sep-19 19:15:53

Is there a Humphrey about??
What was that for?

Calendargirl Sat 28-Sep-19 21:08:44

Richard Shops.

Richard Shops are filled with all the pretty things
Soft and lovely pretty things to wear
Hey there pretty girl, make the world a prettier place,
Come pretty up, come buy your clothes at Richard shops.

Might have remembered the words wrongly, but it was a catchy tune!

angelic Sun 29-Sep-19 15:59:38

Just looked up Humphrey advert it was for Milk?

bikergran Sun 29-Sep-19 18:58:21

Haribo squeaky voices from the rugby players