Gransnet forums

Games

Tuesday's tortuous, troublesome, tantalising, tricky teaser, I think it's Tuesday)?

(49 Posts)
Marydoll Tue 07-Apr-20 07:40:35

Good morning all. Today's question is not too difficult........... I hope.
No skewed squares or distorted images.
Please be gentle with me! wink

Problem strategy: Guess, check and improve

JenniferEccles Tue 07-Apr-20 13:30:24

Joseph and Lena are goldfish!
The wind blew their goldfish bowl over!

gillybob Tue 07-Apr-20 13:42:06

Aaah come on now “no burn marks”? Where does it say that ? hmm

gillybob Tue 07-Apr-20 13:43:07

Brilliant answer, of course they are JenniferEccles now why didn’t I think of that ?

gillybob Tue 07-Apr-20 13:48:06

Was it definitely water Marydoll I mean could it have been vodka ? Did you actually taste it to make sure it was just water ?

Doodle Tue 07-Apr-20 13:49:05

Ooh Jennifer Eccles that’s good. I like that one ?

JenniferEccles Tue 07-Apr-20 13:49:43

Thanks! A VERY rare moment of inspiration!!
Do we get a prize? My heart’s desire at the moment is a bag of frozen peas which I have been unable to get for weeks ? !

Doodle Tue 07-Apr-20 13:50:03

Oh come on gillybob who drops vodka on the floor without licking it up straight away ?

Doodle Tue 07-Apr-20 13:51:12

I’ve got some jenniferEccles ?

JenniferEccles Tue 07-Apr-20 14:00:28

Doodle So it’s YOU stockpiling frozen peas ?!!

Doodle Tue 07-Apr-20 14:01:23

Smug grin

Callistemon Tue 07-Apr-20 14:03:38

Doodle what a wonderful imagination.

However, I think JenniverEccles is correct.

Which reminded me of two stories, one was of a missing goldfish, gone from the tank. Later spotted dried up on the picture frame above the tank - did he jump or was he pushed?
The other involves a lovely tall glass bottle which was filled with scented oil and flowers. Open window, blind half down, scented oil and flowers all over the bathroom, not to mention the glass.

Marydoll Tue 07-Apr-20 14:03:40

That is a brilliant solution, Doodle. ? I love it!!!
It's not the answer I was thinking of, but so much better than mine.
???

Callistemon Tue 07-Apr-20 14:04:26

Oh dear, JenniferEccles sorry, sp.

Marydoll Tue 07-Apr-20 14:10:31

JenniferEccles, you have won a bag of peas, some ???

They are indeed goldfish. ??

downtoearth Tue 07-Apr-20 14:23:12

8x9=72
9-8=1
72-1=71

downtoearth Tue 07-Apr-20 14:29:47

James and Lena got frisky in the shower,heard the window cleaner,and run to hide and slipped and hit their heads,and became unconscious
The boiler was emitting carbon monoxide that overcame them and they died of carbon monoxide poisoning.....simplessmile

trisher Tue 07-Apr-20 14:35:28

I think JenniferEccles had heard it before I certainly had. She's got the book with the answers in the back!!!

Marydoll Tue 07-Apr-20 14:38:10

Another great solution. ?
However, where does the open window come into it? They couldn't have died of CO2 poisoning, as it was breezy.??

Callistemon Tue 07-Apr-20 14:48:06

Joseph and Lena were taking a shower together. Joseph made a comment about Lena having put on a tad of weight during lockdown. Lena screamed 'I hate you, I'm fed up with this lockdown with you, I'm going' . She rushed to the window, forgetting they were in the upstairs shower room. Joseph pulled her back in, they both skidded on the wet floor, banged their heads and died.

JenniferEccles Tue 07-Apr-20 14:55:19

Honestly I hadn’t trisher

First of all I thought of seagulls being blown in through the open window but that wouldn’t have explained the water.
Then goldfish came to mind in a rare moment of inspiration!!

Thank you for the prizes Marydoll!

Doodle Tue 07-Apr-20 15:01:43

Please Miss I would like to say we think it’s very kind of you to spend so much of your time playing with us children and we enjoy it so much. I’m going to award you the class gold star ? and a big bunch of flowers as a thank you for lightening up this home period.
I would have given you a big bar of chocolate ? only I ate it on my way to school blush

willa45 Tue 07-Apr-20 17:39:52

What did I miss?

Puzzle with eights and nines.....Hmmm (trying hard not to peek) at the others......Here's mine:

(8x9) - (+9-8) = 71

Oh...there's another one:

How did Joseph and Lena die? Would need more clues for me to determine, but here's my guess....A stranger broke the glass when he came in through the window. Joseph fought the stranger and received a fatal blow to the head with a water jug, spilling the contents on the floor. Lena stepped in to defend him and was pushed against the corner of the wall. She broke her head, took a few steps forward, slipped on the water and fell right next to Joseph, where she died. Stranger took what he presumably came for and left the same way he came, without bothering to close the (broken) window.

Either that, or they died previously and somebody planted them there after the fact?

Bathsheba Tue 07-Apr-20 17:45:42

They were goldfish - the wind blew the curtains, which knocked the goldfish bowl on the floor, smashing it.