Gransnet forums

Games

Miss Sheba's Thursday tricky teaser (just for today while Miss is having a rest)

(62 Posts)
Bathsheba Thu 23-Apr-20 13:27:56

Can you find what replaces the ??

Bathsheba Thu 23-Apr-20 14:21:12

Pantglas stop worrying. They're not proper walnuts. They're just decorations made out of fondant icing. Sorry to disappoint you but there's no need to confiscate the cake. Nice try though wink

willa45 Thu 23-Apr-20 14:21:25

Almost on time today!

Welcome Miss Sheba (Wait! you don't look like a bearded 'snapdragon').

My answer is 14.

I live far away so I'm always late, even though I try to be here as early as I can. Squiffy, Doodle, Bathsheba, Gilly, Jennifer and Pantglas can vouch for that.

Oh, oh, Bathsheba needs help cutting the gateau....Here, I'm good with triangles and circles, so let me!

Bathsheba Thu 23-Apr-20 14:24:04

And might I remind you Pantglas that I am Miss Sheba to you!

(oh my, this just gets better and better, it is SO much fun being being able to boss people about, hee hee!)

Bathsheba Thu 23-Apr-20 14:25:18

Well seeing as you are so good at triangles and circles Willa you can supervise Doodle. And I don't want to hear any arguing, is that clear?

willa45 Thu 23-Apr-20 14:33:53

Ohhhh, so you're Miss Sheba? I didn't recognize you Bathsheba....(no sooner someone gets put in charge, they change their face so no one will recognize them).

OK, Fine! For one day only! No worries Doodle, you're with me!

Pantglas2 Thu 23-Apr-20 14:36:57

Well MISS Bathsheba I hope you’ve got all your bajs an diplomats ??‍?for bein a teecha cos I’m gonna ring the spection peeps to come and check on you.....so there! And I don’t like coffee, so double there!

Doodle Thu 23-Apr-20 14:46:10

pantglas don’t like cofe Miss Sheba can I ave her bit.

I’ve cut it up equal like and willa has made sum pretty shapes. Cum and get it all of you. Miss Sheba I’m gonna put 2 bits in the cubbard for chewy and if anyone is late.

pantglas is bein rude Miss it’s coz she got bajs and elevatored herselv.

Doodle Thu 23-Apr-20 14:54:43

I can’t do the other sum miss is too difi awkw hard ?

Pantglas2 Thu 23-Apr-20 14:56:54

Yes Doodle Miss did asq me to deptise for her today, but I woz poorly so I tole her to pic someone else whooze neerly as good.....

Bathsheba Thu 23-Apr-20 15:08:49

Thank you Doodle and Willa. Yes you can have Pantglas's coffee Doodle - make it VERY strong and black. I think she needs it today wink

Pantglas you're only in a tizzy cos you didn't think of taking over first. I did. So there. Ner ner ne ner ner. And you don't scare me with all your talk of ringing the inspectors, cos I know they are all working from home cos we're on lockdown, so they won't bother coming. <pokes tongue out at Pantglas>

And I know that second puzzle's too hard to do, haha. I did that deliberately. Here's another one that really is easier:

I have more than two animals at home. All of them are dogs, except for two. All of them are cats, except for two. All of them are hamsters, except for two. What kinds of animals and how many of each animal do I have?

Bathsheba Thu 23-Apr-20 15:10:30

No Pantglas, that's not what happened. Miss couldn't wake you up to ask you cos you were blind drunk in such a deep sleep. She told me she was secretly relieved actually wink

Pantglas2 Thu 23-Apr-20 15:20:46

Well, Neva has my flabber-been-so-gasted?. If I wasn’t so well-ejucaited I’d be speechless?, or gobsmacked eevn!

Miss and me is gonna ave a talk when she reecofers- she can’t be plying me with drink then denyin me a promoshun....I’ll be talkin to the Younion bout it!

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Apr-20 16:36:55

Miss Sheba
One dog
One cat
One hamster

I might be wrong though!

Bathsheba Thu 23-Apr-20 16:49:51

JenniferEccles you are right!

And to everyone else who said 14 for the first puzzle, well done! Here's a bonus slice of cake for each of you. So that'll be JenniferEccles, Doodle, Farmor, JoyBloggs, Gillybob, Squiffy and Willa ???????? (2 slices for Jennifer because she was a good girl and solved the second puzzle too)

Puzzler61 Thu 23-Apr-20 16:56:40

I get 14 (reeely, not just waiting and cribbing off other classmates).

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Apr-20 16:57:18

Thank you. Just putting the kettle on so the cake will go down well !
The nine dots can be joined by taking the straight lines out beyond the dots. Don’t know how else to explain!

willa45 Thu 23-Apr-20 17:02:48

Miss Sheba....can the lines extend beyond the dots?

willa45 Thu 23-Apr-20 17:08:29

OOps....Jennifer, I didn't see your post, honest. I was sitting on the first page when I posted and hit the send button. Really feel stupid, my comment ending up right after your explanation. Yes.....It occurred to me that the lines had to meet beyond the points, too.

Bathsheba Thu 23-Apr-20 17:10:03

Yes, you're right JenniferE and Willa. I'll see if I can post the solution....

Bathsheba Thu 23-Apr-20 17:15:45

Here's one solution

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Apr-20 17:21:57

No need to apologise willa45
I wasn’t sure either if we could do that or if it was seen as cheating!?
The lines have to slope down very slightly so as to catch the very bottom of the third dots.

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Apr-20 17:23:11

Isn’t that four lines Miss?

Bathsheba Thu 23-Apr-20 17:32:46

Yes Jennifer, 4 lines, which the puzzle asked for.

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Apr-20 17:54:50

Sorry so it was. I don’t know why I thought it was three! You had better take my cake back!!

Bathsheba Thu 23-Apr-20 17:58:25

Gosh Jennifer, if you can do it with THREE lines, I'll bake you a whole cake all to yourself! grin