Gransnet forums

Games

Your most favorite game nowadays?

(83 Posts)
KentMike Fri 23-Oct-20 09:35:18

Guys,

Good day to all! I'm a newbie here. I would like to know about your most favorite games nowadays. I love to play racing games a lot. What about you?

Thank you so much!

Ramblingrose22 Fri 23-Oct-20 09:42:01

Welcome KentMike.

I don't know any racing games but I'd love to know if anyone has discovered any new board games that are suitable for just two adult players.

My husband won't play cards and joint pains rule out any sports so a board game seems like the best bet for us - especially as we're not allowed to meet other households indoors in our area.

overthehill Fri 23-Oct-20 09:52:45

We go caravanning (or should I say did!) Some camping friends told us about Rummikub so we bought one. The DGC love it, the 7 year old can play it and the 12 year is very good at it and generally wins. Since we bought it another two camping friends have bought it and so has our daughter. Another one we have just got into, is Upwords like scrabble but building up to score points. Photo of Upwords.
Both can be played with just 2

FlyingHxndbag Fri 23-Oct-20 10:23:12

Dobble is very good. You get it on Amazon for about £10, I can't remember how to play it, all I can remember is, it's a tin with a purple creature on it and you have to match things up, I think. X

henetha Fri 23-Oct-20 10:42:44

Classic Words (just like Scrabble) online. I play it on my phone every day.
I don't know any racing games.
Regarding card games, Canasta is wonderful.

Tangerine Sat 24-Oct-20 23:04:16

Solitaire, either on the computer or with cards.

Fernbergien Thu 05-Nov-20 17:16:25

All the different solitaire games

MawB2 Thu 05-Nov-20 17:35:23

My grandchildren love playing Dobble with me , they also have the Harry Potter version which means you have to remember what the characters are called or you end up like me saying things like “big hairy man” for Hagrid!
My 8 year old DGS taught me how to play chess the last time I was staying with them and proceeded to thrash me - about par for the course!
But the all time favourite when our children were young was Monopoly

Westcoaster Thu 05-Nov-20 19:04:07

We recently updated the Wii to the Nintendo Switch, mostly as this is what the grandkids play on at home.
I bought the 2 Point Hospital game (exactly like the old Theme Hospital pc game) and enjoy playing that.
I also do a 30 minute workout with Fitness Boxing most days.

DGS played Mario racing carts on the Wii before the new thing arrived and he just loved it ... kept crashing and falling into water and laughed and laughed!

DGD is very much into board games though, so we get introduced to new ones regularly. Harry Potter Labyrinth is pretty good. She is getting Junior Scrabble at Christmas so looking forward to trying that out with her!

Marydoll Thu 05-Nov-20 20:07:35

I have just bought the Rome edition of Monopoly. We are going to up the game by making everyone playing to try and speak Italian. I wonder how long that will last! grin

kittylester Thu 05-Nov-20 20:16:46

Genius Square is brilliant. We bought it for all the families last Christmas and they all love it.

Marydoll Thu 05-Nov-20 20:45:03

Kitty, thanks for the heads up. I may buy that for DD and SIL.

Greyduster Thu 05-Nov-20 21:02:54

We all like Ingenious, bananagrams (a particularly favourite), Uno, and, surprisingly, Ludo! I looked at Genius Square today, oddly enough, Kitty, thinking it might appeal to GS.

phoenix Thu 05-Nov-20 21:06:14

I think the OP may have been referring to computer games, but could be wrong?

One of my favourite board games for 4 (or more) players is Master Piece, the art auction game.

Have been trying to find it for years, exdh seemed to have it when we parted.

Have seen it listed occasionally on Ebay, but too expensive for me!

If anyone has it at the back of the cupboard, do dig it out and play, it's such fun, especially if you finish one game and start another, because the fakes and the high value cards change, so you are never sure what you're bidding for!

Spangler Thu 05-Nov-20 21:08:11

Strip poker! Great game.

kittylester Thu 05-Nov-20 21:38:32

Really recommend Genius Square - for all sorts of ages from Bertie 8 to this very old Ma and Pa!

MawB2 Thu 05-Nov-20 22:16:34

Spangler

Strip poker! Great game.

Really ideal for grandparents and their grandchildren I DON’T think.

Was this meant to shock or show the rest of the old dears what a racy chap you are?
In poor taste.

phoenix Thu 05-Nov-20 22:29:10

Oh Spangler you really didn't think that post through, did you?

Sorry to say it came across as a bit pervy hmm

Marydoll Thu 05-Nov-20 22:29:21

I'm trying to get that image out of my head, Maw! ?

Marydoll Thu 05-Nov-20 22:30:37

A bit, Phoenix ???????????

I think Snakes and ladders is more up my street. wink

MawB2 Thu 05-Nov-20 22:31:45

Perhaps if you were 40 years younger.....
But it reminds me of the ( probably apocryphal) story of the old codger who ran stark naked through one of the women’s wards in a local hospital.
One old lady turned to another in the neighbouring bed and said “What on earth was that?”
“I don’t know, dear” came the reply”But it looked like it needed ironing”.

Lucca Thu 05-Nov-20 22:34:17

phoenix

Oh Spangler you really didn't think that post through, did you?

Sorry to say it came across as a bit pervy hmm

Certainly did.

phoenix Thu 05-Nov-20 22:37:23

Or the old dear who decided to try to spice things up in the bedroom, donned a wonder woman type costume, burst through the door shouting "Super Fanny!"

her husband replied, "" I think I'll have the soup"

MawB2 Thu 05-Nov-20 22:39:40

????

Kalu Thu 05-Nov-20 23:36:51

I have never played strip poker , nor am I likely to!!

Is that not a swingers thing, or so I was told ?