Gransnet forums

Games

❓?Ask a Question etc etc? 7️⃣

(1001 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 04-Aug-22 07:24:45

Hello! ?

By my reckoning, this thread will see us through until we are near to C********!

SachaMac’s question was ‘if you could travel back to any time or place for one day, where / when would it be’?

I’m still mulling it over…

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 09-Nov-22 13:50:52

I sweep up leaves from the front garden (which have mainly blown from over the road) and a few in the back and put them in the compost bins from the council. I was once told by a gardener that if your garden is very small it is difficult to make good compost.

Do you have any outbuildings in your garden? I've a tiny summerhouse and an even smaller shed.

crazyH Wed 09-Nov-22 13:58:09

I have a shed

Does this damp weather affect your joints? My knees are quite painful today

SachaMac Wed 09-Nov-22 17:14:57

I put the leaves in the garden bin, it will soon be the last collection so I need to collect some up.

Are you planning on going to any Christmas markets?

MrsKen33 Wed 09-Nov-22 18:02:44

Yes, a lovely one at Aberglasney in December

How about you?

henetha Wed 09-Nov-22 21:34:08

Yes probably. The one by Exeter cathedral.

Do you like cushions? And throws on your sofa? What makes a sofa special for you?

ginny Thu 10-Nov-22 07:27:12

Yes, I like a few cushions and have a blanket that I crochet folded on the back. I like a sofa with a high back.

Our visitors today are a couple we met on a holiday. Have you ever met someone on a holiday and become good friends ?

biglouis Thu 10-Nov-22 10:32:14

Yes - I have friends I met in Morocco and Nepal and we still exchange emails.

Have you bought any supplies/equipment in case of power cuts?

I have a power bank (it also has a light), spare batteries, and the means to light the gas hob.

AGAA4 Thu 10-Nov-22 16:52:04

I have torches, candles and a gas hob so should manage.

Are you buying less of anything now?

MrsKen33 Thu 10-Nov-22 17:40:21

Takeaways are out. Our SiL did a favour for us last week so we bought fish and chips for supper. It was over £30 for four people. Astonishing but nice.

Do you repair your own clothes. Sew on buttons, darn etc?

Mollygo Thu 10-Nov-22 18:48:54

Yes. Buttons, split seams, pulled threads in jumpers, holes in socks (thank you dog for both those !!).
Holes in jeans, though not those of my DGD. She wouldn’t be grateful at all!
Redoing hems either to repair or to shorten clothes.

How many remote controls do you have for your audio-visual equipment?

hollysteers Thu 10-Nov-22 20:28:13

Four and it’s sometimes a convoluted process to find the programme I want..

Do you know someone you could happily live with 24/7 ?

biglouis Thu 10-Nov-22 21:24:00

I was married and divorced in my 20s. Never again. My grandmother said if I wanted a man to my taste I would have to knit myself one.

Have you watched any of The Crown yet?

I binge watched the entire series yesterday. I found it rather boring in parts. Not up to the early episodes.

SachaMac Thu 10-Nov-22 21:44:26

I’ve never watched The Crown but I have been loaned the box set of the earlier series so will give it a go.

Do you buy many books and do you ever buy them from traditional bookshops or just buy on line?

Mollygo Thu 10-Nov-22 22:24:31

Waterstones often have good offers on, so if I want a book and it’s on offer I’ll get it there. I also buy from Sainsbury’s and Amazon, though they’re usually e-books.

Do you ever do maths to see which is the best shopping bargain?
The local supermarket offers boxes of 6 mince pies for £2.95 or @2 boxes for £5 but also packs of 4 for £1.35 or @ 2 packs for £2.50. (Though there is no sign on the shelf for those.)
I watch in astonishment as people willingly pay 20p more per mince pie.

NotAGran55 Fri 11-Nov-22 06:35:05

I like mental arithmetic and messing about with numbers so always do calculations when shopping.

I have spreadsheets for our finances and tracking the utilities now that the prices have risen.
Do you do anything similar?

MrsKen33 Fri 11-Nov-22 10:18:21

No not really. My bank account transactions etc are in my head.

But I do make lots of lists. Do you?

hollysteers Fri 11-Nov-22 10:22:09

Lots of lists, not all ticked off and completed.

What activity do you try to keep up for health reasons? (Dancing round the sitting room💃🏻😁)

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 11-Nov-22 12:58:15

I take a vitamin B tablet each day.

It's a bit early, but do you make New Year resolutions?

AGAA4 Fri 11-Nov-22 16:40:53

No I don't now because I know I won't keep them.

We are coming to the end of this thread. Do you have any thoughts about how life is now?

Mollygo Fri 11-Nov-22 18:40:43

How life is now?
It seems news is always bad.
My whole family is financially poorer.
Violence has increased.
Truth has become a “how you see it” rather about facts.
There are some problems that seem insurmountable, e.g. asylum seekers and homeless people, but no one has more than a ‘sticking plaster’ solution to those problems.

But then, I’m still alive.
I’m still working.
It doesn’t rain all the time.
I see random acts of kindness every day whether it’s something small like moving a bin back down the path or bigger, like running me to hospital when my car wouldn’t start.
I’d rather be alive than the other option.
What about you?

biglouis Sat 12-Nov-22 00:15:30

I am coming around to my grandmothers thoughts of "If I die tonight in my sleep I will be content with that"

She had lived her life and done the things she wanted to do. The things that were out of her control she was content to let go.

Same question.

FannyCornforth Sat 12-Nov-22 02:06:48

I’m only 50. Six months older than my mom was when she died.
I’m not ready to die. No.

Sachamac the first two series of The Crown are absolutely fabulous.
Claire Foy is amazing as the Queen. And her relationship with Churchill is fascinating.
Each episode is like a film in itself. My favourite one is about Graeme Sutherland painting his portrait.

It goes downhill with the third series and Olivia Colman.

It’s an old question, but I like coming back to it.
Who would play you in the film of your life?
I’m going for a young (er) Julie Walters (she was actually my first best friend’s, Sharon’s, mum’s best friend when they were at school. She was very naughty apparently).

Only a couple of posts to go until a new thread!

MrsKen33 Sat 12-Nov-22 04:03:17

Can we chose a dead person. If so Juliette Greco. I can’t think of anyone more modern. Has to be slightly hippy and unconventional.

Same question please

FannyCornforth Sat 12-Nov-22 06:04:15

Morning Ken
I’ve heard of Juliette, but had to Google her to see her.
She was beautiful.
I’m going to fill this up now and start a new thread.

FannyCornforth Sat 12-Nov-22 06:04:44

See you all on the new thread 👋

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion