Gransnet forums

Games

❓Ask A Question etc 🧵🎱

(1001 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 12-Nov-22 06:12:09

Hello!👋
Welcome to the new thread 😊

Julie Walters is playing the part of me (or Helena Bonham Carter, if I’m having a very good day) and Juliette Greco is playing MrsKen.

Which actress is playing the part of you?

biglouis Tue 15-Nov-22 01:44:22

I would never have plastic surgery but if I could change any part of my face it would be my eyes. They have always been small and deep set with very thin lashes.

Do you ever order take outs?

I used to get them about once a month but have cut them out.

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Nov-22 03:27:00

Molly re long life light bulbs. Yes, I think that they do. I very rarely have to change a bulb these days (apart from the little candle ones in the living room, which aren’t long life

Biglouis we have fish and chips delivered about once a fortnight.
We used to have a Chinese takeaway every so often, but haven’t for years. I used to have mushroom curry and chips.
I don’t like Indian curry or rice.

Do you enjoy Indian food? I wish that I did as it’s very good for vegetarians

Mollygo Tue 15-Nov-22 04:22:32

We like Indian food, and love recipes with fenugreek, but no longer order takeaway since it went from £16 to £23 in a week. I know prices have risen but . . .

What’s your favourite herb or seasoning?

MrsKen33 Tue 15-Nov-22 04:27:32

Cardamom I think.I made some apple jam last month and added that aa DD hates cinnamon. It was lovely.

Greek or Italian food is a favourite here. Do you have a preference?

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Nov-22 04:59:57

Greek and Italian for me too, please

Let’s play Snog, Marry, Avoid!
Three politicians -
Snog: Andy Burnham

Marry: Jess Phillips
(I can’t think of any male politicians that I would want to live with! And I think Jess would be kind and fun)

Avoid: Michael Fabricant ( he’s definitely not the worst though)

biglouis Tue 15-Nov-22 10:08:32

Oh god I have no respect for any of that sleazy lot in westminster. I do have some for Andy Burnham as at least he stands up for local causes and can be quite ballsy.

What would you like to see in the budget or whatever they call it now? Autumn statement? Latest tax rip off?

I would like to see a really hard line on the power companies with a basic amount for every household at a sensible price. Above that anyone who exceeds that pays a much higher price. That would ensure that those who are profligate with heating pay for what they use and encourage everyone to economise.

AGAA4 Tue 15-Nov-22 16:34:22

I have little confidence in the autumn statement as I think Sunak will take money from working people in taxes and not from those who can afford to pay more.

Same question please.

MrsKen33 Tue 15-Nov-22 19:14:37

I hope they do something for those that are unable to earn. The disabled, ill, pensioners etc.
Same again please

FannyCornforth Wed 16-Nov-22 06:16:26

Oh god, I’ve no idea, save knocking austerity on the head.
I can’t see anything positive happening until we have a change of government

Do you enjoy musicals?
Which are your favourites?

MrsKen33 Wed 16-Nov-22 06:49:44

Les Mis. We have seen it on stage several times and have a DVD. DH puts it on when it’s his turn to do the ironing. Then we have days of him whistling the tunes.
My favourite is 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. I just love the dancing.

And once more please

FannyCornforth Wed 16-Nov-22 07:06:09

I loved Sacha Baron Cohen in the film. He is so charismatic. I think that he’s wonderful 😍

Jesus Christ Superstar - seen it lots, including when it opened in the 70s. I must have been very young

Cabaret -the film, I’ve never seen the show

Oklahoma! - banging tunes.
I often belt the theme tune when drink has been taken.

See also Oliver!

(It must be something to do with the exclamation marks…)

What are your favourite songs to sing?
If I’m forced to do karaoke it’s Faith by George Michael.
Copacabana by Barry Manilow is good too
All together now
🎶 Her name was Lola, she was a show girl… 🎶

henetha Wed 16-Nov-22 09:49:35

I love musicals. In my better off days when I was working I went to London regularly to see them. My favourites are Les Mis, Cabaret, We Will Rock You, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, oh so many.
I like singing When You Walk Through A storm, from Carousel.
And most of the clever funny songs from Cabaret. Two Ladies, If You Could See Her Through My Eyes.

Same question....

biglouis Wed 16-Nov-22 11:23:32

No regrets (Edith Piaf style)
My way
Midnight (from cats)

Used to sing in night clubs when I was younger.

Have you ever been to the opera?

I used to love it when I was younger. Went to Glyndebourne several times but it would be too inconvenient and expensive now.

AGAA4 Wed 16-Nov-22 16:56:02

Yes I have been a few times and loved it.

Have you put holidays on hold for the time being due to the cost of living now?

MrsKen33 Wed 16-Nov-22 17:22:49

I’m longing to go on a cruise, but not quite yet I think. But money wise, we go on short breaks now, but usually not this time of year.

Going back to music. Is there anything that reduces you to tears.
Mine is ‘ Chasing cars’ by Snow Patrol

crazyH Wed 16-Nov-22 17:32:53

Dancing in the Sky - sung beautifully by the sisters (twins I think) whose names escape me.

Of all the foreign holidays you’ve had, which was the most memorable ? Mine was my first trip to Canada - when my brother picked me up from the airport and drove for almost 24 hours (minus breaks) to Kakabeka (where they lived). What a beautiful drive that was! And what a lovely holiday !

biglouis Thu 17-Nov-22 02:48:28

My most memorable was my first trip to Venice one winter. It was misty and cold but I really fell in love with the place and have been about 6 times. Sorry I will never go again but its just not a city for those with mobility issues.

What was the worst foreign trip you can remember?

Mine was going with a group I didnt really know (to Paris) and they expected me to do all the guiding and interpreting because they spoke no French. I dumped them one day and one lost all her money, travel cheques and passport. We sat on separate seats on the train back.

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Nov-22 09:11:10

I don’t think that I’ve had a bad experience on a foreign holiday (I’m not a traveller, I’ve only been to France, Greece and Goa).
The school trip to Paris probably wasn’t my finest moment though

Have you bought any Christmas presents yet?
I’ve bought a couple of little things for my dad’s wife

Mollygo Thu 17-Nov-22 09:44:53

Yes, DD&DSIL asked for Oodies at exactly the time they were on offer at two for the price of one. Because of the distance and postage , I have them sent direct to them and sent some wrap bags down, so they could do a yourself wrap job.

this morning, I had to choose between aqua fit in a cold, pool or treadmill. Which would you have chosen?

AGAA4 Thu 17-Nov-22 15:27:29

Think I would have opted for the treadmill. It's wet enough outside today.

Do you eat more in the winter? I eat lost of salads in summer but tend to eat more calorie laden stews when the weather is cold and grey.

ginny Thu 17-Nov-22 17:10:47

Yes, I think I do. Hot drinks are too wet without a biscuit. Soup needs good bread, salads need a jacket potato.

Have you been to a talk or class recently and what was it ?

biglouis Thu 17-Nov-22 22:19:23

Not an "outside" talk but I was on a zoom tutorial related to business and advertising.

Have you ever had to pay for a parcel because the sender did not pay enough postage?

Yes I know its a well known scam but this was a genuine one as I saw the postwoman deliver the form. It was an unauthorized return from a customer in the USA. Ive deducted the surcharge I had to pay from her refund and added her to my blocked list.

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Nov-22 02:48:26

No. I used Parcel Monkey for the first time this week though.
I’ve never had to arrange a parcel collection before.
I left a (literal) load of clothes in the tumble drier when we stayed in a lodge a month ago.

Have you ever left anything when you went on holiday?
I always do it.

nanna8 Fri 18-Nov-22 02:59:28

Yes. I once left my iPad on a plane overseas and rushed back to get it , jumped over the barriers and got to the plane just as the captain was leaving . He was an Aussie and pulled my leg about evading security. Threatened to arrest me with a big smile on his face.

Have you got stuff in the wardrobe that you will never wear but can’t bear to part with? I have an old raincoat of Mum’s. She died in 2002.

biglouis Fri 18-Nov-22 10:11:00

Yes, I had a hand painted cashmere sweater I loved and it wore out under the arms so I made it into a cushion.

Do you ever mend or alter clothes or just send them to the charity shop when they no longer fit or suit?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion