Gransnet forums

Gardening

Cat Scarers

(17 Posts)
greenmossgiel Mon 13-Jun-11 21:00:33

Orange peel scattered amongst the plants and over the soil deters cats from digging and fouling. It does work, really! Also, fill a plastic bottle of water and lay it on its side on the soil.Cats seem to be afraid of this. grin

seraphicDigitalis Mon 13-Jun-11 18:42:48

Water pistol? A friendly neighbour to divert the dog's walk so he can p all over? A saucepan lid and a metal spoon? I'd prefer, of course, something less demanding of the sentry! What I object to most of all is the half bird kindly left on my doorstep. Why do the monsters think I feed the birds, I wonder. When we had a dog, we'd no trouble at all, but my master thinks we're too old now. I really think cats should be illegal, or kept in a cupboard.

Jenjax Thu 02-Jun-11 18:51:48

We found that scattering moth balls around the garden helped a lot.

Daisymay70 Wed 01-Jun-11 18:37:36

Wheb I googgled for something to help with cats i put

Cat deterant it came up with lots of sprays and things and also the plant I beleive theere is another plant with a similiar name but does not deter cats

crimson Wed 01-Jun-11 14:09:10

Thanks Josie; it was in the Independent, and the referece for the plant was FPKJ. When I googled it it didn't say that it did what was said [didn't say that it didn't, either!], but it could be worth a try!

lucid Wed 01-Jun-11 11:54:21

We have 2 cats and to keep them off the veg bed I collect thorny branches - rose prunings (that kind of thing)...lay them on the soil or criss cross them. Our cats won't go near....however, we do leave a part of our garden available for the cats to use so that , hopefully, they won't use other people's!

susiecb Wed 01-Jun-11 11:48:03

Our cat scarer seems to work not as much as my fathers boot used to though!!!

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 01-Jun-11 10:44:16

There are no rules against saying names of newspapers/brands here, crimson - feel free. As long as what you're saying is not libellous, it's fine by us!

Daisymay70 Wed 01-Jun-11 10:34:21

Thats the plant that cats dont like crimson it is a very prety plant withg blue flowers it has a basty smell thsat cats dont like but its not smelly to humans lol

crimson Tue 31-May-11 23:28:17

Got an advert in front of me for coleus canina; assume that I'm not allowed to say which paper I read it in [I was going to send away for a buddleia plant advertised on the same page].

harrigran Tue 31-May-11 22:54:26

I bought a cat scarer and the first cat in the garden took one look at it lifted it's tail and sprayed it. None of the local cats were scared, what a waste of £20 angry

Daisymay70 Tue 31-May-11 22:48:48

Yiou need to plant the plant that cats hate cant recall the proper name but sonr cakk it the pee of plabt lol i have bought some online and it works you could find it through google i out some in posts to move araound and planted some in the border cats hate the smell you get a pretty blue floweer and nice foliage do try to get sone .

if ive made spelling mistakes exuse me as i have a cateract c9oming

Grumpyoldwoman Tue 31-May-11 22:23:30

I like that idea babyjack !!
We have great cat scarers ....2 Yorkshire Terriers !!!!!!! smile

babyjack Tue 31-May-11 22:19:21

Someone told me to put lots of cocktail sticks in the flower beds as a way of deterring the cats from walking on the soil - i never tried it but maybe worth a go, cheap and eco friendly?

Notsogrand Tue 31-May-11 21:58:02

It's not just digging up the seedlings that gets to me, it's the cats using my freshly raked veg beds as a personal loo. angry

glassortwo Tue 31-May-11 21:46:31

My FIL tried one didnt work!

tjspompa Tue 31-May-11 21:41:24

Has anyone experience of the electronic cat scarer's that are on the market ? I am fed up with cats digging up my veg seedlings.