Gransnet forums

Gardening

Daisies! (two) - Spring!

(279 Posts)
Bags Wed 09-Jan-13 14:36:59

First daisy flower of the year! I know it's a long time till spring proper yet, but it's a sign. It's a SIGN, I tell you! sunshine

(Colder temperatures expected tomorrow)

Hey ho.

JessM Tue 07-May-13 14:14:05

I've been having sunny autumn weather (mid 20s) here in Perth but this evening a deluge has started and my last few days look like being wet wet wet. And windy.

broomsticks Tue 07-May-13 09:47:33

Fantastic weather up here, at last. The sky is a deep, deep blue sunshine

JammieB Fri 26-Apr-13 21:29:34

Guess I have a nest somewhere in my garden as every cat in the neighbourhood is lurking here - cannot believe that they ALL just come into the garden treating it as one gigantic litter tray!!

broomsticks Tue 23-Apr-13 14:35:32

Oh I thought 'bust' might be a trendy new way of putting it. smile

Nonu Tue 23-Apr-13 13:34:15

typo, busy , not bust . Ha ha

Nonu Tue 23-Apr-13 13:31:33

Blackbirds have been nesting in our garden as they do every year .

For the last three weeks or so since the babies hatched the parents have been soo bust feeding them , such devotion.

A while ago as we were having lunch outside we noticed the babies gone .There must be one around though who"s wings aren"t quite strong enough , so Mum is flapping a lot and calling out.

Nature is truely marvellous .

dragon

broomsticks Tue 23-Apr-13 12:12:21

All the early cherry blossom trees are in bloom and I got sunburnt at the weekend!
Sadly the blackbird is eating the tadpoles as they emerge. The frogs laid it in water that was too shallow I suppose.

Butty Mon 22-Apr-13 16:40:23

Wild garlic Pesto is good with pasta - although strong. Probably not for you Anno grin

Butty Mon 22-Apr-13 16:37:42

What a treat when........ lucky robin, too! smile

whenim64 Mon 22-Apr-13 16:23:32

Hurray! At last robins have started using the nesting box I put in a perfect place 7 years ago! Now it's non-descript and hidden behind the growing pear tree, it suits their purpose. That, and the fact that they can't get in my outhouse this year grin

JessM Mon 22-Apr-13 14:31:23

Lucky you. Great spring vegetable. Reminds me of the greek custom of going out into the country to pick Horta - spring greens. Here in WA there is absolutely none! Lots of things coming into flower though now that the heat and drought of summer is over.

Bags Mon 22-Apr-13 13:16:03

Thanks, jess. I realised my mistake after I'd posted, thus the apology. I don't think I've ever seen a three-cornered leek plant. Wild garlic is as common as muck around here though.

JessM Mon 22-Apr-13 13:08:48

Bags if you detach one, including the bottom of the leaf, it is shaped like an elongated African type shield. Pointed at the ends and broad in the middle. Very different to the three cornered leek leaf which is very narrow and triangular in cross section. Or for that matter a spring onion leaf which is circular and hollow in cross section.

annodomini Mon 22-Apr-13 12:32:54

Wild garlic, which my ex used to chew when we were out on country walks, [yuk emoticon] has strap-style leaves, in my experience.
The damson blossom is coming out at last, about ten days later than usual.

Grannylin Mon 22-Apr-13 12:25:02

Swallows swooping in and out of the barns at last - 3 weeks later than last year sunshine

soop Mon 22-Apr-13 12:01:23

...wouldn't put it beyond them, Bags wink

Bags Sun 21-Apr-13 15:59:37

Begging your pardon.... I think you must be thinking of African shields rather than shields shaped like shield bugs. Do Allium triqetrum and Allium ursinum hybridise each other?

Bags Sun 21-Apr-13 15:33:06

Pictures of wild garlic. Not a shield-shaped leaf in sight! Sorry, jess.

dustyangel Sun 21-Apr-13 15:27:39

On the next page to stinking Jennie!

dustyangel Sun 21-Apr-13 15:23:47

Sorry, Yes the wild garlic is white, the flower I was trying to identify was blue.

Galen Sun 21-Apr-13 14:24:22

Patenting! What has got into my iPad today? I blame it on Jingle

Galen Sun 21-Apr-13 14:23:16

Sometimes known as stinking Jenny!hmm apparently good for high blood pressure. I suppose nestle will be parenting it next!

JessM Sun 21-Apr-13 14:22:07

If the leaf is shield shaped it is wild garlic. Pick a few leaves and mix with spinach when cooking.
If the leaf is more like thick grass it is the three cornered leek - I used to think they were white bluebells. Probably also edible as members of onion family, but not sure. Both can spread.

Galen Sun 21-Apr-13 14:20:55

Mine has white flower. A triangular stem

dustyangel Sun 21-Apr-13 14:14:06

It 's probably wild garlic Nellie. I've just been looking up a very pretty light blue flower and thought how attractive it is.