Gransnet forums

Gardening

Badgers

(23 Posts)
Ana Thu 06-Jun-13 18:44:44

Thanks, granjura - obviously I wasn't considering poison or a shotgun to deter them! They're only a nuisance when they dig up the lawn, but the bugs or larvae they were after have probably now gone so we'll have no more destructive visitations until next spring...

whenim64 Thu 06-Jun-13 18:10:03

I hope they aren't serious!

Tegan Thu 06-Jun-13 17:58:00

They're talking about culling buzzards now because they're killing grouse and pheasants [which are being bred so people can shoot them confused].

granjura Thu 06-Jun-13 17:18:03

They are indeed a protected species- despite the fact the UK govt has been gassing them, trapping and shooting them and now- shooting them in the wild!

But you are indeed allowed to do lots of legal things to deter them. Electric or other fences are allowed, so is the male urine thing and the 'silent lion manure' would be perfectly legal. You are not allowed to use poisons of course. Your local badger group will give free advice - just call them.

HildaW Thu 06-Jun-13 17:15:26

Badgers are creatures of habit - so only thing you can do if you really can't stand the idea of sharing the garden with wildlife is to barricade the route and encourage them to go elsewhere. However, as you have probably gathered by the tone of my responses is that I'm one of those nutters who believe wildlife needs all our support and that its us that are encroaching on their world.

yogagran Wed 05-Jun-13 20:19:17

In theory they are a protected species and you're not supposed to do anything to deter them but they can be extremely destructive and I can understand that you really don't want them in your garden. I've seen a garden shed half buried by the excavating work done by badgers!

You could try putting an electric fence around the area - that should send them elsewhere

Ana Wed 05-Jun-13 20:11:37

Maniac, we have had what we think are badger/s digging up our lawn for the first time this year, but it's stopped now. We saw one a couple of years ago pinching the sultanas we'd left out for the birds, but this year two areas of the lawn were ripped up and roots exposed - possibly they were after grubs or larvae. I've looked online and couldn't find anything guaranteed to deter them...

granjura Wed 05-Jun-13 20:02:34

I've never used it by recommended by Telegraph and BBC to deter foxes and cats, may well help with badgers too?

Silent roar lion manure
500gr box £8.99 Buy
within 2-3 days excludes weekends Buy
3 × 500gr boxes £26.97 £24.00 Buy
6 x 500gr boxes £53.94 £45.00 Buy

(No reviews)

Be the first to
Write a Review

Reviewed by BBC Watchdog (9/8/00)

Silent Roar came out on top in a survey by BBC Watchdog into cat deterrents for the garden. They found that after just 3 hours of putting the pellets down, no cats visited the garden!

Silent Roar used to be sold as a cat deterrent, however the natural make up of the product has prevented the manufacturer getting the product the necessary new EU certification for chemicals, as it's not a chemical and the make up of every batch of lion poo is different as it depends on what the lions have eaten. This means as deterrents are regulated by the EU law. (Don't we all love some of the EU laws) the product is now sold as an organic fertiliser - but the product is exactly
... click here to read more

Galen Wed 05-Jun-13 19:41:33

Used to get them pinching the bird's peanuts. A whole family of them.

Elegran Wed 05-Jun-13 19:34:35

Lion poo idea no use now, Granjura They are not allowed to let you have any any more.

granjura Wed 05-Jun-13 18:53:51

Yes, good and common advice - but only if Maniac is male! Easy to do if you have badgers coming to your private back garden - but not if it is at the front! However you could get your OH and all the makes in the household to pee in a bucket and then pour all over affected area at dusk! Otherwise, look at the Badger Trust list of local group and get in touch - and ask someone to come and give you advice. If you have a nearby zoo - you could ask for some lion poo or similar to put in the badger latrines and area.

whenim64 Wed 05-Jun-13 18:47:24

You know what you must do now, Maniac! grin

goldengirl Wed 05-Jun-13 18:31:00

A farmer friend of mine said if anyone wanted to stop badgers coming into the garden they should pee around the boundary!!! Anyone tried it?

Maniac Wed 05-Jun-13 18:24:48

See my OP I don't wish to attract badgers.If it is badgers they are making a right mess of our front lawns.- holes the size of a large fist-tufts of grass/earth and last week a pile of poo -looked like black sausages.!!

HildaW Wed 05-Jun-13 17:21:47

Don't get badgers in garden (that we know of) but do get rabbits, grass snakes, hedgehogs, the odd fox passes through also. Its just lovely to know our garden is 'wildlife friendly' and that they like visiting. We also know that otters are happily at home half a mile away on a small local river - we see spraint and other signs of them and husband has even seen them on early morning dog walks. Its all credit to local farmer for leaving bits of his land totally wild.

granjura Wed 05-Jun-13 17:10:40

If you go on the Badger Trust website - you'll find lots of info on badgers. You will also find a list of badger groups, which cover the whole country. They organise regular talks and training days. If you want to see badgers in the wild, get in touch with your local group and ask if any member would be prepared to take you - this is how I got started with studying badgers. (do offer to make a donation, however small ... or large to the local group if you can).

philly Wed 05-Jun-13 14:25:45

Badgers are great-we have visitors every night - the most I have counted is seven and they are undeterred by our security lights. They just love peanuts, grapes raisins etc. Badger culling just breaks my heart.

Stansgran Wed 05-Jun-13 12:12:25

I once left a cheesecake in the garden and found three badgers trying to get it off the table. It was a cooked lemon one. It can't have been good for them but I wasn't going to wrest it off them.

whenim64 Tue 04-Jun-13 21:27:41

My friend has badger setts behind her garden. They get most sightings when they leave out peanut butter sandwiches for them.

Spindrift Tue 04-Jun-13 21:17:17

I have heard badgers just love peanut butter, I have never seen a live badger, I know they can make an awful mess but I would really love to see one in the wild

Nelliemoser Mon 03-Jun-13 16:02:07

Maniac Does the animal hair look as though you could make a shaving brush out of it?

shysal Mon 03-Jun-13 14:24:57

My solution is to feed them with peanuts, which has put a stop to the digging, and lovely to watch. If you are not sure of the culprit you could spread some sand in the area and examine the footprints. Animal footprints . I fear my badger family will not be visiting in the future once the cull comes to this area. Their set is in a field where cattle graze. I do understand the farmers' concerns, but have yet to be convinced of the necessity. There was an interesting thread on here some time ago with posts from some well informed GNetters.

Maniac Mon 03-Jun-13 10:21:08

Any advice on detecting /deterring badgers.Something is digging holes and leaving large tufts of grass in some of the openplan unfenced areas of our front lawns.