Gransnet forums

Gardening

Asda bulbs

(17 Posts)
petra Tue 04-Mar-14 17:16:29

Has anyone bought any bulbs from Asda. I was in there today and they seemed quite cheap. But they're not if they're rubbish, are they?

janeainsworth Tue 04-Mar-14 17:19:30

What sort of bulbs? I wouldn't buy spring bulbs this time of year.

JessM Tue 04-Mar-14 17:25:01

B and Q are very good value for bulbs. Cheap and good quality.

whenim64 Tue 04-Mar-14 17:34:14

Are they summer or autumn flowering bulbs, petra? Should be fine. I've planted 100s (well, my son did blush) of supermarket bulbs to come up through the year and have been pleased with them. Many have multiplied. This year, my English bluebells are in every section of my front garden, having doubled and trebled over time. They were cheap ones from Morrifsons a few years back.

merlotgran Tue 04-Mar-14 17:37:52

I bought two large bags of daffodil bulbs from Aldi last autumn (cheap as chips) and they've all come up.

annodomini Tue 04-Mar-14 17:45:52

In autumn, I buy bulbs in my local pound shop. I've had good results when I've remembered to plant them. blush

petra Tue 04-Mar-14 19:12:37

They were Dahlias.

merlotgran Tue 04-Mar-14 19:17:29

You can start dahlias of in a pot now, petra. That way you can choose where you want to plant them when they're in growth. They will flower late summer so there's plenty of time.

janeainsworth Wed 05-Mar-14 22:06:49

Don't dahlias need to be frost-free merlot?
I dig mine up and keep them in the greenhouse over the winter.

thatbags Thu 06-Mar-14 07:11:14

I buried dahlias in the compost heap last year and they thrived. Hoping the same happens this year. I didn't dig them up, just covered them with more compostable stuff. They seem to like coffee grounds wink

Aka Thu 06-Mar-14 07:31:17

My compost heap sprouted a fine crop of tomatoes. They seem to like tea bags Bags

glammanana Thu 06-Mar-14 07:40:16

I've had Asda bulbs and always found them fine petra in fact the daffs are specially nice this year,and the year before last I bought one of those tubs of mixed wild flower seeds that you just scatter and was amazed with result really lovely (mind you I did wait until they where half price at Morrisons)

Gagagran Thu 06-Mar-14 08:15:32

I buy a lot of garden stuff from Aldi when it's on offer and have always been pleased with it all. The daffodils I got from there last Autumn are in glorious full bloom and the geraniums last summer were strong and healthy and are still alive in pots, outside against a sheltered wall.

Aka Thu 06-Mar-14 08:50:15

I bought three hyacinth bulbs in a pot with compost.
They weren't just any hyacinth bulbs in a pot with compost.
They were M&S hyacinth bulbs in a pot with compost.

I followed the instructions to the letter. Only one germinated and that was negatively phototropic hmm

JessM Thu 06-Mar-14 22:42:21

Yes well, did you take them back and complain aka - you'd probably have got blamed. M and S had very bad coverage today on You and Yours, re their furniture.

Ana Thu 06-Mar-14 22:47:26

Every time I look at the title of this thread I think it's about light bulbs...confused

Which should be the subject of another thread entirely - I just can't buy low-wattage (not energy-saving) candle or golf type bulbs anywhere locally! angry

Aka Thu 06-Mar-14 23:15:58

I couldn't be bothered Jess I know I ought to have.

Ana I think they're extinct phased out now.