Gransnet forums

Gardening

cheap plants

(13 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 15-Mar-14 16:56:20

Every time I take carnations to the cemetery I break off any shoots as they 'take' very easily and now have a lot coming on great in the garden I also buy bulbs spring and summer from wherever is cheap (often QD)and have had lots of success with them At the moment I have dwarf daffodils, crocuses, grape hyacinths, an ordinary hyacinth someone gave me for in the house and primulas I would love to swap with someone but no one around me seems interested and concrete over their gardens I have bought from Lldl too without any feelings of guilt. I sent for a rosebush a few years ago off a catalogue I sent because it was a magnificent blue flower It didn't flower the first year the second year it did but was an ordinary dog rose by this time I d completely forgotten which catalogue I d bought from- so Lldl is fine for me

granjura Fri 14-Mar-14 16:50:22

Good on you- I have dug up lots of spare strawberry plants and offered them to neighbours, who were delighted.

Must say I find seeds hard work (I do not have a greenhouse)- so I much prefer to exchange clumps of perrenial in Spring- which will flower the same year. When they get too big and I've divided to add colour elsewhere- eventually clumps are too big- and I have to divide again, and it really upsets me to put on compost- so I always find a home for them- and often, but not always- get something in return. Two elderly ladies in the village allowed me to dig a big clump of 2 kinds of rhubarb from their huge clumps- and I did a bit of weeding for them in exchange. I just love getting plants that way. I got quite a few clumps of lilly of the valley the same way last year, and can't wait to see them come up soon. There are dozens of East Leicestershire gardens with some of my plants in- many came here with us, and have been shared again with locals and via the plant swap.

merlotgran Fri 14-Mar-14 16:00:45

I've just put a message on fb offering two dozen Little Gem plug plants from my greenhouse as I have more than I need at the moment. The problem with plant swapping though is I usually get offered something I don't want.

The RHS seed swap (for members) is a good way of getting hold of unusual seed and I'm thinking of re-joining the Cottage Garden Society as I used to swap seeds with them as well.

granjura Fri 14-Mar-14 15:39:32

Swapping with local Gransnetters at local events would be great actually- not for me as I am a bit far away.

granjura Fri 14-Mar-14 15:34:34

Agreed Merlot. I don't buy annuals but only bulbs and perrenials- as they come back year after year, and keep the garden full of colour from early Spring to late Autumn. But as said, swapping is a wonderful way to get free plants (and help the environment as a real bonus)- and it is even cheaper than buying cheap plants - as it is totally free. It's also very easy to organise at local level- even if just among neighbours or relatives.

Our local supermarkets in France so often have loads of cheap plants which are dying or dead- as watering is not possible in the shop- and it jsut breaks my heart to see this, and the waste.

merlotgran Fri 14-Mar-14 15:28:06

I don't blame anyone buying cheap plants and shrubs from supermarkets - I do it myself. Garden magazines of full of articles about the decline in people taking up gardening as a hobby. Too many gardens are being paved over and programmes like Gardeners World are struggling in the ratings. When money is short people don't want to be preached to about saving the planet.

People new to gardening who get bitten by the bug will eventually learn about ancient peat bogs, plastic waste and air miles. They will be put off in the early stages if they feel that it's the preserve of the well off.

I make my own compost but also buy peat free when needed. When money was tight I bought anything that was cheap.

We need more gardeners. Gardens are good for the environment. smile sunshine

granjura Fri 14-Mar-14 15:06:51

Own compost here too- but I know it takes space, time and effort, and not possible for all. One of the cheapest ways to get plants is to exchange them with friends, neighbours and also via organised swaps. I belong to a garden society (organised by a wonderful British woman who has lived here for a long time)- the next one is in May and I am potting bits up to exchange there- wonderful.

My garden is full of 'friends' - I see a plant and I think about the friends who gave them to me- some who have now left us- and it is really lovely.
It costs nothing- neither to me, nor to the earth- even better.

dogsdinner Fri 14-Mar-14 10:35:31

It is much easier to do your bit for the planet if you have funds and I speak as one who has been rich and poor. I use my own compost.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 14-Mar-14 09:58:40

Do you at least do your bit by buying only peat free compost?

Anniebach Fri 14-Mar-14 09:10:10

I hope yours buys this year will be as successful as last years dogsdinner

dogsdinner Fri 14-Mar-14 08:54:34

It is the only way I can afford plants and judging the way they were flying off the shelves I,am not the only one down here.

granjura Thu 13-Mar-14 20:24:37

Must say I do hate seeing plants and trees being sold in such places- as they have no facilities for watering. If you get there soon after deleivery, fine- but a few days later, what is left is dried, then dying then dead- they often have dead plants reduced in price-and I always talk to the manager, and say- this plant is dead, so half price, 80% off, or 90% off- it is dead and not worth a penny.

It's a huge waste and a bit of an environmental disaster, as they are all grown on East European peat taken from ancient peat bogs (: + all the plastic waste, transport from cheap growing areas abroad and greenhouse heat, etc.

dogsdinner Thu 13-Mar-14 20:06:28

Just been to Lidl and bought a load of their climbers and shrubs all very cheap. Fruit trees are under a tenner. If you have a large space needing filling I can recommend them. I bought a lot last year and they have all survived the awful winter and are starting to shoot.