Gransnet forums

Gardening

Unexpected DIY!

(13 Posts)
Tegan Mon 14-Apr-14 15:24:35

The other year I bought a potting bench that was greatly reduced at Homebase [I've always wanted one]. When I came to put it together I realised you had to use a drill [which I don't have]. Thankfully a friend came round and assembled it for me. Even though he's an experienced carpenter it took him hours and even then one of the legs was a bit wonky [it gives it character]. There's no way I could have done it myself and I would have had to pay someone quit a lot given the amount of time the job took. You have my sympathy, when sad.

rosequartz Mon 14-Apr-14 14:24:32

smile

They need to know.

whenim64 Mon 14-Apr-14 11:15:07

Yes, I do need help with this one rosequartz. I was knackered after taking the pieces round to the back garden, and now I've had a good look at it.......the instructions are missing! Just exercising my pointy finger before I email them and give them some advice about being a bit more customer friendly with their information grin

rosequartz Mon 14-Apr-14 11:00:24

Oh, good! It would not have been good to hurt your back or something trying to do it, then being unable to plant the strawberries.

Sometimes we just have to admit we need help.

whenim64 Mon 14-Apr-14 10:57:23

Thanks for the tips, Culag. If I was younger and fitter it would have been assembled and full of compost by now. I have done lots of DIY in the past, and still paint ceilings and lug stuff around, but this one needs two pairs of hands.

No neighbours to ask, rosequartz. The only one I would have asked till recently has had a stroke.

I've got all the pieces in the back garden now and there are no pre-drilled holes for the screws, so I'll ask my younger son to come and do some of it for me. I'm taking him out to lunch tomorrow and he'll happily offer to help.

rosequartz Mon 14-Apr-14 10:20:27

Have you got a friendly robust neighbour who could help, whenim?
( not saying you can't do it, but you will have all the filling and planting to do. And the neighbour might enjoy some strawberries or a pot of jam later on)

Culag Mon 14-Apr-14 10:15:30

I actually love doing DIY. I just wish I'd got more strength. It does limit what what you can do.

Culag Mon 14-Apr-14 10:12:40

I did the first part in the kitchen, then stood in the middle of it, if you see what I mean, and walked it outside that way. Then I put the base slats in outside. Hope that helps.

One tip I learned that if you rub the screw against a candle it will screw in more easily.

whenim64 Mon 14-Apr-14 10:01:29

Culag wasn't it heavy when you had put it all together? I'd have to stand it on my table to assemble it in the kitchen, as it's so long and wouldn't fit otherwise. My weight-lifting days not that I ever DID weight-lift are over grin

whenim64 Mon 14-Apr-14 09:57:08

No, I'm not out there, Iam. I took one piece round to the back garden and came in for a cup of tea. grin The DIY was imposed on me. I'll give it a whirl and if the first screw doesn't go in easily, I'll be shouting for help from one of my family, who will laugh like drains because I didn't notice it was self-assembly.

Yes, I'll cover the strawberries with net - marauding squirrels take lumps out of my strawberries, even the green ones, and the dog likes to shove her head in them on the off chance she'll like them. She doesn't, but never remembers!

Culag Mon 14-Apr-14 09:50:02

I have done just that, with possibly the same item as yours.

I constructed most of it inside in my kitchen, so the neighbours couldn't hear the expletives! (I live in a terrace).

Take it calmly and carefully and you'll be fine. wink

Iam64 Mon 14-Apr-14 09:28:57

I'm impressed When, selecting, buying and now putting together a veg trough on legs. Growing strawberries on a raised bed sounds a good plan. will you cover them with net to keep the birds, mice, squirrels and dogs from eating them?
No, I don't do DIY these days, well, apart from painting walls that is, I don't do nail or screw knocking in - it isn't raining, so I bet you're out there now, industriously building

whenim64 Mon 14-Apr-14 09:21:25

After a couple of failed attempts, I've just taken delivery of a six feet long veg trough on legs, which looks sturdy and practical and will be perfect for a new strawberry bed - in the catalogue! I'm sure it will be, when it's been moved from the kerbside, where the delivery man plonked it and disappeared.......and when I've assembled the damn thing! Went back to the fine detail with my magnifying glass, where I can just about make out the sentence 'supplied with all fittings and instructions.'

Oh well, at least I can move each part round to my back garden. grin

Do you find yourself unexpectedly DIY-ing when stuff is delivered?