Gransnet forums

Gardening

Sweet peas

(8 Posts)
susieb755 Mon 12-May-14 22:32:52

Love sweet peas,and once you have them you can harvest the seeds, just soa them overnight before planting.

Anniebach Mon 12-May-14 14:56:24

Thank you all, I grew them every year until I moved to a bungalow with paved areas only . I shall try them this year , will hunt for a large pot

Iam64 Mon 12-May-14 12:33:48

They need as much depth as you can give them Anniebach - and don't let them dry out. I grew mine in a large pot a couple of years ago, they did brilliantly. Last year, I put them out in the garden, as usual - hopeless. this year I have a number of different types on the go. I love sweet peas, especially the way the more you cut, the more you get

Nonu Mon 12-May-14 10:52:00

should have said "I don"t grow them.

Nonu Mon 12-May-14 10:50:08

I like sweet peas a lot, I don"t them so much these days.

When I did though, used to put them in gro-bags , they did well !

sunshine is what they need a lot of.

Gagagran Mon 12-May-14 10:49:34

I have 4 sweet pea plants growing well in a deepish (18inches) square pot. I put 4 tall canes in the corners of the pot and tied them together at the top to form a sort of wigwam and wound string round from top to bottom to give the plants something to cling to.

Apparently they like a lot of water so all the rain we have had has helped them thrive - so far. I put lots of Growmore in the potting compost and water them occasionally with tomato feed.

Fingers crossed for some lovely sweet smelling blooms now! sunshine

Tegan Mon 12-May-14 10:15:22

You'll need to put some very tall poles in the pots. My sweet peas have done very badly in recent years but I may give them another go as I love the smell and, when they did grow well in my garden I used to pick a bunch for the living room each morning.

Anniebach Mon 12-May-14 10:02:39

I have been given sweet peas, only have pots, would they thrive and if so just how deep a pot please