Gransnet forums

Gardening

Spring!

(39 Posts)
Teetime Sun 01-Mar-15 09:44:26

Hooray is 1st March- meteorological Spring according to the weather men has begun! Yesterday we did our first trip of the year to the Garden Centre which was buzzing with people. It's out in the Rutland countryside which looked beautiful and there were daffodils everywhere- thank heavens I hate the winter and long to see the flowers blooming in the garden.flowers

janerowena Sun 08-Mar-15 22:21:20

We've had the most beautiful weekend, 15C and sunshine, so have got lots of sorting and tidying done and dahlias and cannas potted. It's the best Spring we have ever had in this area, very southern.

tanith Sun 08-Mar-15 12:47:35

Just got the back lawn cut it was just dry enough now its spitting and I wanted to get the front done too..,. fingers crossed it hangs on till I can get out there..

Liz46 Sun 08-Mar-15 09:56:28

appygran, We put a pool on our allotment (thanks to freecycle) and moved some frogspawn from our grandchildren's paddling pool (!). The idea was to have as many frogs as possible to eat the slugs and snails. This has been very successful and the pool is crammed full of spawn at the moment. We'll just leave it alone and let nature take its course.

rockgran Sun 08-Mar-15 08:57:32

I've got a wasp on the windowsill - inside! shock

appygran Sun 08-Mar-15 08:18:27

It is indeed lovely to get out in the fresh air Lizz46 it has been a long winter or has felt like it. Just checked the pond for frogspawn, still none despite lots of active frogs. Lots of mini daffodils are out and the camelias are lovely this year.

Liz46 Sun 08-Mar-15 07:04:25

At this time of year our conservatory becomes a rather expensive greenhouse for a few weeks. At the moment it is bringing on broad beans, lettuces, cabbages and cauliflowers until it is o.k. to plant them at the allotment. it will gradually become more and more full until it is time to start moving the plants to their proper home. We grow chillies during the summer in the conservatory but they look quite pretty and freeze well so we never have to buy any.

Our snowdrops and the small daffodils are out and lots of other things are starting to poke through. I tried to do some weeding yesterday without standing on anything important. It was lovely to be out in the fresh air.

rubylady Sat 07-Mar-15 23:51:22

My mini daffs are out, along with snowdrops and crocuses, beautiful. And some primroses at the front of the house. We spent today burning boxes which we used to move in with (I phoned for them to take them back but never got back to me) and too many to put in recycling just this once. So starting to "own" my garden now too, after our move. I did have to take breaks though, it did my back in and smoke not good for the breathing, inhaler on the go too! Plenty cups of tea. It's looking better though now, next step. flowers

soontobe Sat 07-Mar-15 18:52:14

I will have a look tomorrow loopylou, and see if I can see the bulbs. Or if not, dig one up and see how deep it was.

loopylou Sat 07-Mar-15 18:29:05

No flowers usually means they're 'blind' according to experts, one reason being they're not buried deep enough I think. I've no idea if that's just for that season or permanently confused.
It doesn't make sense to me because I've known them to flower even if they're almost totally out of the soil......
Perhaps yours are just a bit late soon?

soontobe Sat 07-Mar-15 17:37:03

We've had nice weather too, which wasnt forecast.
I have about 3 lots of daffodils from different places, around the garden. 1 lot is out but pitiful. Another lot is not much better.
But the 3rd main lot has not come out at all!
The leaves arrived late, but all look strong and healthy. But no daffs whatsoever.

loopylou Sat 07-Mar-15 17:32:16

My miniature daffodils are out, the larger ones are still in bud soon along with tulips, hyacinths and grape hyacinths. It's been such a beautiful day, pity supposed to be going downhill from tomorrow.
Compost bins moved and turned, amazed to have 1 big bin full of well-rotten compost - the bins haven't done well for years (too shady) hence moving them. No sign of slow worm and grass snake squatters from last summer.
Tee shirt weather! sunshine

gangy5 Sat 07-Mar-15 16:37:49

I like the way the weather forecasters upped the weather prediction for the weekend. It quite whetted my appetite for doing all sorts of outdoor jobs!! I live in the South of England but no balmy temperatures materialised here. I'm gloomily sitting indoors!! Spring wasn't round my corner!

soontobe Sat 07-Mar-15 08:28:42

Aren't daffs normally out by now?

rubylady Sat 07-Mar-15 00:25:14

Thank you merlot I've just ordered a humidifier from Amazon and intend to put some oils on it to help the breathing. Had a crackling sound on left side earlier so burnt some olbas oil. I will go back to GP if not better next week. smile

I am so excited though that GW is back. Monty suffers with depression over winter and so it is lovely to see him back in his garden and doing again. I too am looking forward to seeing how he develops his garden with a better outlook after cutting the hedges down. Even just seeing the primroses peeping out at us lightens the soul. And the day is getting longer, lighter sooner in a morning and gone six by the time night is coming. It's all good. smile flowers

merlotgran Fri 06-Mar-15 21:13:58

Looking forward to seeing how Monty's garden evolves now he's drastically reduced the height of those bloody hedges.

Hope you soon feel garden fit, ruby

rubylady Fri 06-Mar-15 21:00:07

Yeah, Monty and Nigel are back! Wonderful, it's happy days from here on in. My fence gets fixed next Friday and then I'm off, garden centre, planting what I have brought with me from the old house and owning my new garden. Yes! Come on chest, start getting better.

On Loose Women, they had a pic sent in of the first lamb I have seen or heard of for this year. Isn't nature wonderful how it regenerates us every year? I couldn't live in a country where we didn't have seasons. We might have problems in our country but we are very lucky in other ways too. smile

hildajenniJ Fri 06-Mar-15 15:57:22

Lovely sunshine this afternoon, a bit windy though. The little daffodils are flowering now, and I have seen some lambs in the fields. Spring is definitely on the way. smile

loopylou Fri 06-Mar-15 15:32:50

Have washing drying on the line, spent a lovely couple of hours weeding and trimming perennials back, moved and replenished the bird feeder and am now enjoying a cuppa.
Loads of bulbs are well up, should have hyacinths out next week. Pulmonariias are already flowering and bumble bees have come out of hibernation.
Lovely to have sunshine too! grin

Anne58 Fri 06-Mar-15 15:24:12

Driving along the lanes there are still some wild daffodils out, plus drifts of snowdrops and the primroses are starting to flower!

Anya Fri 06-Mar-15 15:21:47

Will venture into the potting shed this week and evict the resident insect life from my plant pots. Time to get some of those vegetable seeds in.

Growing lots of kale this year. Anyone tried cooking crispy kale in the oven. Yummy!

Coolgran65 Fri 06-Mar-15 14:53:37

Washing on the line and dry.
Still have a rose in bloom....or I did dgs 7 and dgs 4 have just put the petals into the bird bath to make it look pretty. There are also some purple petals in the bird bath....... I have nothing purple in bloom and I'm surreptitiously looking at neighbours' gardens to see where they've come from. ??

Hostas are peeping up, daffs and hyacinths are in bud. My massive fern is brown and crispy with little new shoots underneath unveiling like tiny seahorses.

Camelia has big fat buds and little random pansy plants are popping up from the natural seedlings of last year's plants. I'll expect the same from last year's nastursiums.

Love this time of year.

merlotgran Fri 06-Mar-15 14:40:40

Washing out on the line for the first time this year and some tidying up on the borders started. Things got neglected last year due to various problems so I feel better now I've finally made a start.

tanith Fri 06-Mar-15 14:31:26

I've just spent a fab 2hrs poking around the garden followed by the Robin , its so nice the sun is shining and the birds are singing I didn't need a coat. I have some pots full of yellow crocus they brighten up the patio no end, I've just massacred a large Hebe it was getting way to big so I've hacked it right down to 3' from the ground I'm not bothered if it doesn't recover, next job will be a Pyracantha that has got too tall I hate having to prune it as I need armour and I always manage to stab myself..
I wonder if the lawn will dry out enough to cut it in the next few nice days...

granjo39 Sun 01-Mar-15 23:34:56

Daisies are flowering in the grass verge behind my hedge.

hildajenniJ Sun 01-Mar-15 22:59:28

Spring, what spring?
Have you seen the weather forecast. We have been promised SNOW for tomorrow. That being said, we have snowdrops and crocuses out in the garden, and the little tete a tete daffodils are not far from blooming. It's going to be blooming cold though!!! stdavids