Gransnet forums

Gardening

Hostas and slugs

(76 Posts)
whitewave Sun 05-Apr-15 12:35:14

Does anyone grow these without too much lacing from slugs? I have just planted a row of Japanese Wood grass (can't spell the latin name off hand) and thought that hostas would look good behind it.

If you do what is your secret please?

PRINTMISS Sun 10-May-15 08:15:42

I am loathe to say this in case I am courting damage - but our hostas which last year were plagued by slugs are this year doing really well. I have put small shingle round the roots (they are in pots, as they were last year when they suffered badly). No doubt the slugs will now return, but so far so good, so perhaps shingle around the roots works? A long time ago there was a liquid de-slugger (if you like), which worked absolute wonders over-night. I used it for a couple of years, then quite suddenly it was no longer available, probably because it contained some substance which was a health and safety risk!

pompa Sat 09-May-15 18:31:01

Two bricks, no that is too painful, especially if you get your thumbs in the way.

loopylou Sat 09-May-15 17:52:47

I read somewhere that Spanish slugs' slime is blue pellet resistant sad

You're going to need to be very inventive I fear pompa, use two bricks?

pompa Sat 09-May-15 15:21:23

I have hundreds of baby Spanish slugs under every bit of cover in the garden. Squishing dozens every morning and many getting caught in the traps. Pellets don't seem that effective and nematodes only work against the very small ones. (apart from which I have a large garden)

Anya Wed 06-May-15 21:48:42

Loopy I've been trying to grow Lords and Ladies in my shady patch for years with no luck sad and you're hoiking yours out shock

I thought I read somewhere that they give of a noxious smell which deters slugs and snails...?????

As the snails and slugs around here cannot fly or leap I'm still happy with wool pellets (though they smell too when wet) hmm

loopylou Tue 05-May-15 21:07:01

I sprinkled Cat & Dog repellent (smells very garlicky) on the raised veg bed to deter neighbours' bl...y damn cats, and curiously the slugs and snails seem to be repelled too - if they're not then I have ready prepared l'escargot grin

Clearing the forget me nots I found dozens of revolting fat slugs, all of whom I lobbed down the back slope in to the woods - they've got a very steep, heavily brush-wooded journey if they plan on returning!

Thanks Tricia, I'll take a look, I need all the help I can get!

TriciaF Tue 05-May-15 20:55:19

I've just read this thread - I had given up with hostas too, but found this video, which is encouraging, and covers some of the points raised.
It's in french but you don't need the sound, the film explains it:

www.rustica.fr/tv/proteger-ses-hostas-contre-limaces,7687.html

whitewave Mon 04-May-15 14:29:19

Yes I posted on another thread that mine is still intact although it looks like the Somme all around it, so on the strength of that I am going to get 3 more to fill gaps in the shady area. Nematodes seem to be the way to go.

loopylou Mon 04-May-15 14:25:34

Much to my astonishment and delight I've got well-grown hostas!

I've been yanking out buckets of Lords & Ladies (wild arum) and underneath them were three hostas, unravaged by the slugs and snails. I have no idea why this should be, I suspect that now they're visible something will attack them!

The shoots are about 9" high, so crossing my fingers that they flower for the first time in three years grin

pompa Sun 26-Apr-15 22:46:22

Sounds like time for an all out assault, blue pellets loaded ready to fire.

Anya Sun 26-Apr-15 22:44:47

My veggies are all safely tucked up in wool pellets for the night.

loopylou Sun 26-Apr-15 12:46:01

They're out in force this morning, after last night's rain angry
This is war now [grrrrhh]
Raised veg bed had 34 snails and 17 slugs and it's only 8x4'!

pompa Sat 25-Apr-15 21:40:44

The beer in our traps is about an inch below the top, to far for the drunken buggers to climb out.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Apr-15 14:33:36

Apparently the best way to deal with slugs is to water round with liquid metaldehyde on Valentine's Day. Kills the grubs before they develop.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Apr-15 14:31:09

I am gradually replacing my hostas round the pond with ornamental grasses. Have decided I like them better and the slugs and snails don't seem interested.

Liz46 Sat 25-Apr-15 14:19:28

I seem to remember something about a garlic wash as a deterrent. Perhaps you could google it if you want to give it a try?

loopylou Sat 25-Apr-15 14:02:14

There is one slug killer that claims they die underground-I'm not sure if that isn't worse than gathering up the ones on the surface - the thought of digging up decomposing corpses envy yuck!

vampirequeen Sat 25-Apr-15 08:35:38

I have discovered that slugs and snails come out during the night to eat the bird seed but I can't bring myself to throw salt on them. I know pellets are probably just as bad but at least I don't see them die.

Iam64 Sat 25-Apr-15 08:06:01

Yep vampirequeen, that was our experience with the beer traps as well! I hadn't thought of putting the pellets under slate as suggested above. I do worry about the ground feeding birds but a full frontal assault on the slugs and snails in spring and autumn does seem to help keep their numbers down.

vampirequeen Sat 25-Apr-15 07:54:20

I tried the beer method. All the slugs and snails from the area came for a party. Not one dead in the morning but lots of wavy trails as they'd staggered back to cover to deal with their hangovers grin Now I use pellets.

Judthepud2 Fri 24-Apr-15 21:16:59

Slugs just love Guinness! I tried surrounding my hostas with tubs of the black stuff. It worked! Literally hundreds of slugs fetched up for their last drink every night but it became rather expensive. I went through bottles of the stuff, and still the damn things ate my beautiful variegated hostas, having negotiated sand, ash and egg shells, just before drinking themselves into oblivion!! The hostas gave up the struggle last summer and I haven't had the heart to replace them.

pompa Fri 24-Apr-15 20:37:15

Sorry for going off topic, you mentioned blackbird's song. I had forgotten just how powerful their song is, until I got my hearing aids a few weeks ago, now the one singing in my garden is deafening, and so melodic.

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 20:30:53

Thanks Loopy.

loopylou Fri 24-Apr-15 20:16:46

grin Yep, you got it in one Nelliem! How's your aim?

The pellets sort of meld together when they get wet so form a mat, which snail/slug slime can't cope with. They're made of sheep's wool and very long-lasting.

Nelliemoser Fri 24-Apr-15 19:50:07

So does the bag of wool pellets come with a catapult to use to fire them at the slugs? grin

What I could see happening is the Blackbirds weighing in, rooting around in the wool pellets and chucking them out of the pots as they look for insects and worms underneath them. Every time we put the garden compost on our beds the Blackbirds just hurl it across the lawn. However they sing so beautifully I can forgive them anything.