Gransnet forums

Gardening

I want to get my pumpkins out!

(23 Posts)
Anya Mon 25-May-15 09:03:46

What do other gardeners think? Is it safe or could a late frost get them?

Stansgran Mon 25-May-15 09:17:27

Depends what part of the uk you are in..

Anya Mon 25-May-15 09:19:22

The Midlands.

They have been hardened off during the day.

Nelliemoser Mon 25-May-15 09:21:49

That title sound like something on a Benny Hill show. grin

It probable depends on where you live and how sheltered your garden is and many other such microclimate in the garden stuff.

Right now I am having the same thoughts about my tomato plants. Last year after a warm May I put them out and there were a few very cold nights in early June. All my tomato plants went blue and never thrived at all. sad
The meter reader who had to walk past my shrivelled tomatoes to get to the meter boxes asked what had happened to my poor plants.

Liz46 Mon 25-May-15 09:22:30

All my stuff is out on the allotment now. We are in the north west but the allotments are surrounded by trees and seem to always be a bit warmer than the surrounding area.
We got to the stage where our conservatory had become a very expensive and crowded greenhouse and we wanted to reclaim it to sit in!
I put the corn in a few weeks ago and then the weather turned colder but it seems to have survived.

Anya Mon 25-May-15 09:28:12

You could be talking about my conservatory Liz and it's in and out, in and out, with trays of seedlings at this time of year.

Think I'll risk the sweet corn out this week and just repot the pumpkins into bigger pots for now. Same with spaghetti squash.

pompa Mon 25-May-15 09:38:52

Oh, those sort of pumkins hmm Put mine out (N. Essex) last week, but put fleece over them.

Nelliemoser Mon 25-May-15 09:39:58

Digging about to try and find the weeks weather for my tomato plants I have just seen this site.

It claims to do it by postcode.

www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/uk/London-Gatwick-Airport

You can change the location input by putting in your own postcode.

Anya Mon 25-May-15 10:09:33

Thanks Nellie

Katek Mon 25-May-15 10:19:50

I'm in Panto mode.....that was a definite "oo-er missus" moment!

Anya Mon 25-May-15 12:00:29

I don't know what you mean Katy wink my pumpkins are very precious to me, I have nurtured them from seeds. The thought of them shrivelling up in the cold is horrific.

So I'm just going to risk planting two out, but well fleeced as pompa suggested.

Katek Mon 25-May-15 12:19:11

Hahahahaha!! grin Make sure they're well covered with the fleece!

shysal Mon 25-May-15 12:20:03

Within an hour of planting out my module-grown runner beans we had a very heavy hail storm (not forecast). They went very limp but have survived despite tattered leaves.
The courgette plants have been out for a few weeks, but haven't grown at all! Will I never learn that it is far better to wait for the soil to warm up?

alchemillamollis Mon 25-May-15 12:33:10

Everything's going out today - tomatoes, courgettes, beans, peas.

I've got dh to help - a rare occurrence. So if they don't make it, well, tough. But I'm in London, and in a sheltered garden. [fingers crossed emoticon]

Nelliemoser Mon 25-May-15 12:56:24

I have six Gardeners Delight tomato plants in my potting shed. When I put them out they go against the south facing wall of the house which does act like a radiator once the sun gets to it.

I need to think about how to rig up a tent type cover to support some fleece over them. I will let my brain have ago at that while I do other things.

I dont want a disaster like last years crop.

I have a collapsible fruit cage but I need that soon for the blueberries.

loopylou Mon 25-May-15 13:14:27

Absolutely everything out, pumpkins, courgettes, runner beans, peas, sweet peas, pelargoniums, everything except a few tomato plants, two cucumber and two melon which are in the greenhouse....

pompa Mon 25-May-15 15:50:08

Shysal, you have reminded me, I put up the fleece for several days before planting to allow the soil to warm up.

joannapiano Mon 25-May-15 17:23:46

We are in Herts. and took our courgettes and butternut squash out of the greenhouse last week. They are now in growbags on a sort of raised platform that DH made out of pallets. They are on a very sheltered patio.
We keep the tomatoes in the greenhouse all season.

janerowena Mon 25-May-15 20:03:56

All of mine are outside now, still unplanted, but get fleeced at night. I shall plant them at the end of the week. Push your hand down into the soil, anya. If it doesn't feel cold, it should be ok. Most areas have their last frosts by mid may, but it doesn't mean that the soil will be warm enough for them to get growing.

Eloethan Mon 25-May-15 22:24:44

Anya Your title was almost on a par with katek 's brother's "How big are your tiramisus?" -smile

Katek Mon 25-May-15 23:01:47

grin

rosesarered Mon 25-May-15 23:28:48

Our tomatoes, courgettes, runner beans and lettuces all went out last week, but we did cover them with fleece for a couple of nights.seem to be doing well.Wish the weather would warm up again though.

grannyactivist Mon 25-May-15 23:38:59

All my plants have gone out today; they've been hardening off outside for a week or so and the soil on the allotment has been covered. Last year the squashes, cucumbers and courgettes took quite a while to get going, but when they did they were fantastically productive. The mange tout have already got off to a good start and the strawberries are looking good.