Gransnet forums

Gardening

No more mowing the lawn!

(16 Posts)
Elegran Tue 07-Jun-16 20:30:38

I have just bought what promises to be THE machine for those of us who find that once we have mown the lawn we have no energy left to do anything else in the garden - a robot lawn-mower.

Up until the end of last summer, I had a gardener who came every fortnight and cut the grass. Actually, he didn't do anything else - he had cut his hours down from two to one, so he had no time. When he retired, I had to buy a mower. I can't humph it up and down the steps to the lawn, so I couldn't get anything too heavy, and the light ones all looked a bit tinny. Then I saw this Flymo robot, reduced by about £360 and was tempted.

You have to peg down a wire round the edge of the grass to give a signal to stop it vanishing over the horizon, but once that is done you install the charger, programme the timer and let it get on with it. It bumbles round randomly and goes back to the charger when it runs out of juice. It is very quiet - I have to look out of the window to check whether it is still alive. You don't get bowling green stripes, but I can live with that.

tanith Tue 07-Jun-16 21:15:56

Sounds wonderful but my lawn doesn't have straight edges its curvy and has bricks surrounding part of it so I suppose the wire would be in straight lines and bits would be missed or it wouldn't mow over the brick edges.

Elegran Tue 07-Jun-16 21:27:44

Mine isn't either. You peg down the wire at intervals to follow the edge (well a few inches in actually, as the sensor for the guide is in the middle of the mower). You would place it for the mower to miss the bricks. It doesn't mow in strainght lines, it sort of bounces off the boundary wire and sets off in a different direction.

Elegran Tue 07-Jun-16 21:29:02

Correction - it would go over the edge of the bricks if they were low enough and the wire were at the right distance.

tanith Tue 07-Jun-16 21:30:08

Oh yes I see, I found a video on utube how clever is that.. I'd love it if the price came way down grin enjoy!!!

baubles Tue 07-Jun-16 21:32:55

That sounds fabulous, a little friend for your indoor robot. grin

GandTea Tue 07-Jun-16 21:37:09

I've seen these working in gardens we have visited, looks great for a large lawn.

Elegran Tue 07-Jun-16 21:38:11

video - www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muxnr9v6vUA
Mine was £599 on Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

Baubles hate to think what they'd get up to if I introduced them - synchronised dancing I daresay.

Luckygirl Tue 07-Jun-16 22:25:59

I thought perhaps you had put down astroturf!

rubylady Wed 08-Jun-16 02:08:32

I have bought a robot vacuum which goes off on tangents but saves me doing the hoovering. It doesn't do a thorough job but better than leaving it, obviously. smile

thatbags Wed 08-Jun-16 07:32:11

Bet it wouldn't work in my garden. Too many bumps and holes, not to mention the angle of the land.

Anya Wed 08-Jun-16 07:42:21

Sounds like a Romba with blades instead of brushes grin

LullyDully Wed 08-Jun-16 08:03:31

My robot lawnmower wants.to know if it empties.and cleans itself.

Elegran Wed 08-Jun-16 08:42:27

Luckygirl Astroturf would be a great idea. My DD has a patch just inside her window, with a garden chair and table on it. she calls it "the conservatory corner" and sits there to read. The mower doesn't collect grass - cuts it into small bits and drops it as mulch. It doesn't clean itself - I haven't yet had to do this chore but will report back when I have tried it. Apparently I am supposed to inspect its undercarriage to clean it once a week. Yeah right.

Bags My lawn is hardly a bowling green, but it copes fine, yours may well be too uneven - I don't know. Someone on the reviews had it cutting an orchard and was very pleased with it. It is said to be OK on a slope of up to 25cm in a metre.

Anya Yes, I think that is where they got their inspiration.

Auntieflo Wed 08-Jun-16 08:47:20

Elegran, I have just watched the Robot mower YouTube video, it's now a toss up between that and artificial grass. One of our boys used to have a toy called Big Trak, that you could programme and it would bumble around the room and 'talk' to you
in beeps, while negotiating the furniture obstacles.

Elegran Wed 08-Jun-16 08:50:30

This negotiates obstacles like trees and footballs, but doesn't quite talk to you - it just beeps very loudly when you open the hatch to programme it, scared the life out of me, I thought I had killed it.