Gransnet forums

Gardening

Vampire moth?

(9 Posts)
Teetime Thu 16-Jun-16 14:03:31

Can anyone tell us what this large (rather ugly) moth is on our garden please? We can't find any information on it. Thank you

rosesarered Thu 16-Jun-16 14:05:48

It's big, but can't see any pointy teeth.grin

J52 Thu 16-Jun-16 14:10:27

Looks like the Diamond back moth. It has invaded from the Continent and is devastating cauliflower and broccoli crops. Apparently it is resistant to pesticides.

aggie Thu 16-Jun-16 14:12:42

horrible !!!

tanith Thu 16-Jun-16 14:17:46

Pity that the pic isn't from above its a it difficult to see the markings although I don't think its the Diamond Back as that looks quite delicate and is long and thin at rest.

TriciaF Thu 16-Jun-16 14:30:02

There's a moth called the death's head hawkmoth, with a picture on its head of an apparent skull. It's huge, but I don't think yours is that one.

Teetime Thu 16-Jun-16 15:38:05

Its been difficult to get a photographs and we don't want to disturb it. I think DH would recognise most native species so we think its foreign- interesting about the cauli and broccoli crops we aren't growing any veg this year and haven't got any neighbours doing so either. Nearby fields are cereal crops. I will keep a watch on it.

Teetime Thu 16-Jun-16 16:26:36

Its laid eggs!!while I was watching Versailles.

hildajenniJ Thu 16-Jun-16 16:47:42

It looks like a lime hawk moth. We used to get them in the Nursing Home I used to work in. They are huge, and really spooked one lady when one flew in through her open window. here's a photo